Suspension Brakes 1st Gen MiniMania PSA?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by BlimeyCabrio, May 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    So I read some old threads on the other site about this... I picked up a set of used ones... just wondering if anyone here has any long-term experience with them... trying to decide if I want to put them on or sell them... I'm on Ireland fixed camber plates, Koni FSDs, TSW V3 springs, so up front am lowered 1/2"-3/4" from stock, car is mainly a daily driver canyon carver with occasional track days.... no autocross...

Thoughts?

2. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Remind me what the PSA is again? Is that the thing that goes from the control arm to the ball joint?

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that is exactly what it is.

4. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind that you'll most likely want to fab up some spacers to lower the steering tie rods (or raise the steering rack) as well if you install the PSA's. If the control arms and tie rods aren't parallel, it can lead to bump steer so you want to lower both if you're going to lower them so they stay parallel.

There are a few japanese MINI companies that offer tie rod spacers with their control arm spacers, but I haven't been able to find the sources.

5. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    The more I read, the more I'm thinking that I don't need these for the moderate amount my front end is lowered...

6. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Yah, if you're lowered less than an inch you haven't changed your geometry enough to warrant any corrections. The purpose of the PSA's is to correct the angle of the control arms after drastic lowering when the arms can become parallel to the ground or even begin to angle upwards. It's not necessary for a 3/4" lowering job.

7. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Funny you brought these up, I forgot all about them. Had people ask when they first came out, but have never seen a set installed on a car.

8. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    Like Rally said, the nail in the coffin for these things is Mania has completely ignored the fact these spacers will add significant bump-steer. The other problem I have with these is they're HUGE; there's no reason to add that much spacing unless you're committed to running 17" wheels and have lowered the suspension over 3". At that point you can call yourself Rally or TheWanderer and you're not looking for track-day performance anyway since you won't have enough ground clearance for any compression travel. :devil:

9. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like I'm selling 'em. Anybody want 'em?