Mis-matched Cam Caps...

Discussion in 'Sponsor Messages' started by Thumper460, May 16, 2012.

1. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Camshaft and Cylinder Head news..

Over the past year or so, there has been a huge increase in purchases for my Ported Head. ( TPR1/TPR2/TPR2r ) As we all know , in order to keep the cost down, on the Ported Heads offered , there is a "core fee ". This core fee is refunded when your good core is received. Now the issue:

The Camshaft is held on the Head with 'caps'. These 'caps' also hold the rocker arm assy on. When the Head is running thru the final machining in the factory, these caps are machined ON and TO that specific cylinder head. They are a matched set.

Thru the Years there has been statements made in effect that all the caps are interchangeable from one Head to the next. I would say that taking a chance on interchanging these cam caps is a risk NOT worth taking. IF one cylinder head in the factory is machined off just a bit, then those caps HAVE got to fit THAT Head. Mixing them will cause the camshaft to bind if not matched.
    If your luck is like mine... YOU will be the one that suffers!! Yes?? SO DONT MIX AND MATCH CAM CAPS!!
    Hope this helps with a few questions..

Just saying......................................

Thumper