Modular Oil Changes in 90 seconds - Plug & Play

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BruceK, Oct 9, 2015.

1. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Castrol has come up with a new (and I'm sure quite expensive) way to conduct a complete oil change in 90 seconds. It's plug and play technology applied to doing a full oil change by replacing a box about the size of a conventional car battery.

Practical details on how this works are missing from the Castrol press release (as in completely non-existent!). Perhaps that is because the concept is really so simple it's nothing to brag about?

My thought is this probably works only on a dry-sump engine and the fancy new Castrol box simply acts as the replacement reservoir for the oil with some sort of quick-disconnects.

Pictures and the press release are here: Castrol Nexcel is an oil change in a box

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Sooo... A nice "cheap" carbon fiber box that holds the required quantity of oil with a integrated oil filter... Changed in 90 seconds.... But probably costs at least $300-$400 per oil change... Probably only available from the dealer...

The auto companies want "sealed" engines....
    They probably also like the idea of "Plug & Play" oil changes that they control as well....
    They are slowly plugging all the money loopholes the DIYers enjoy today...:mad:

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Sealed hood comes next. No user serviceable parts inside. :incazzato:

4. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    More or less as proposed by Porsche back in 1973 with the FLA long life car study. This was a fascinating attempt to build a really long-life car. If my memory serves, this had an expected life of a million miles (or maybe km) with service intervals of 100,000 miles or so. Fitting an opening bonnet/hood with hinges didn't make sense for such little use, so the bonnet/hood bolted in place, with access hatches for fluid checks/top-ups. They reckoned it would only cost two to three times as much as an ordinary car.......

[​IMG]

Porsche FLA (Wikipedia)

Porsche FLA (Jalopnik)

5. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    The Fuch wheels are the only thing that tells me that's a Porsche.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    The whole thing looks rather Fuched up to me......