Monkey Bar

Discussion in 'MINI' started by TGS91, Oct 4, 2010.

Tags:
  1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Got this on a new product email from Mini Mania

http://new.minimania.com/InvDetail.cfm?item=G2NMC1000

Before I got hooked on HPDE's I put in Shroth's rear seat delete without race harness adaptability. When I put in my subwoofer I had the whole back carpted so retrofitting would be kind of a PITA

This seems kinda appealing and looks a little beefier. Thoughts? Experience?

(also looks like a good mount for a still camera or a video cam of some sort)

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I remember the company that designed and made these for a while, they later went over to either VW parts or Subie parts and got out of the MINI parts bidness, MM must have bought the design rights.....

I would need to look at it again, but if memory serves it was well designed and removeable - but spendy. I didn't see a price on MM's site....IIRC the last ones sold for only a couple hundred bux.

3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a good option for installing harnesses in an R56. It'd take a bit of work to get in and out all the time, though.

4. OutMotoring

OutMotoring Club Coordinator
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
  5. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Ugh ... makes you lose 1" of rear travel? First Schroth can't get a harness out for the R56, now when a good harness bar comes out, I won't be able to fit it in. Sigh.

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I use my Schroth R53 harness in my R55, works perfectly. I wasn't sure it would because of the longer wheelbase on the Clubby, but there was enough adjustment in the straps that it fit. As to the mechanical bits, they worked perfectly, although you have to trim a tiny sliver of plastic off one of the buckles so that it will fit - it was nothing tho...

So, if you have one already, go for it. However, the "QuikFit"type harness won't work with the Monekybar, you need a regular competition type harness for it.

Like I said before, I thought Kappasphere went out of the MINI parts business.....