1st Gen R53 Cooper S More Auto Transmission Woes

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by andpeab, Jul 24, 2012.

1. andpeab

andpeab New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    discovered this forum while searching for similar problems. my wife has an '06 mcs w/ the 6 speed automatic. i have found tons of articles about cvt problems but few concerning the 6spd aisin auto. the oddest thing is that this problem came with no warning signs at all...no slipping, no leaks, no noises. after a normal night in the garage my wife to leave for work and the car would not engage reverse. it was like another neutral. she took my car and i pushed the mini out of the garage and drove it myself. everything in forward gears was normal except a hard downshift at about 12mph when slowing for a stop. i eased it into neutral when stopping after this and got to work and back that day.
    i did some reading and tried the 'battery disconnect and reconnect' to see if things would reset. reverse was back as soon as i restarted, but faded away after a few tries. we took the car to a highly recommended transmission shop but they couldn't get communication to the transmission. their tool would communicate with all systems but not the trans, so off to the mini dealer. still functioning as normal when driving the 45min to the dealer (except for the downshift that i avoided by using neutral when stopping). their diagnosis was almost expected....new trans and new control box-$11000. this, even though the indy shop was convinced that the trans was okay and it is simply a communication/electronic issue. going to try another shop that has mini experience but this is frustrating. hoping for suggestions. help!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This might sound odd but I know someone that just had a similar problem.

Check the battery and the alternator and make sure that that you are getting enough juice.

And, welcome to Motoring Alliance, thanks for joining.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Have you checked the listing for our sponsors at the top header? There is a pull down menu that can give you map locations of the MINI specific garage near you. Other than the dealer, it's a good idea to work with someone very familiar with the MINI.

4. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    TACHOMETER!

there is a huge computer chip in the tachs printed circuit-we have fixed these issues with a new tach twice on 06 S models! try swapping one from another r53 suto if you can to check it out

5. Little Wing

Little Wing New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A.
    I have no advice, but the others here have great advice. :Thumbsup:

6. andpeab

andpeab New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the tips. picked the car up from he dealer today and brought it home. drove fine other than no reverse and that hard downshift when stopping. will mention these things when i take it somewhere else. did find a local shop on the forum that i talked to today. they can get it in next week. thanks, again.

7. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    welcome to m/a

8. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    I know we are not exactly close, but if you need a trans we can def do it cheaper than 11k.

9. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I had a 06 auto that I loved but started having transmission issues. I ended up trading it in due to the lingering fear of having to change out the transmission.

10. andpeab

andpeab New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    trying to locate the control module/brain box. i hear a buzzing sound from behind the driver side kick panel near the fuses. attempting to remove the panel today and look around. i see a few salvage modules on ebay in the $200-300 range. sounds better than $2300+labor and programming that the stealer quoted for the module. plus they said they wouldn't replace it without doing the trans, too, because it "might not be the problem". they couldn't say that the transmission was definitely bad or what might be wrong with it either, though. could be worth a try.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I thought the body control module was on the passenger side on the bottom part of the center stack.

12. andpeab

andpeab New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    update..after bending and contorting myself for a few hours, the body control box (not what i was searching for) is behind the kick panel on the passenger side ahead of the bonnet release lever. the transmission control box is on the driver side, under the dash and behind the steering column. easy removal. now to locate a replacement.....

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Glad you found it, keep us posted.

You may want to search here for one...

www.car-part.com

14. Grgramps

Grgramps New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    "new trans and new control box-$11000"

I can't help but wonder if this is the dealer's way of avoiding working on this car? Do you suppose they have seen this before or have much transmission experience?

15. Marys06Mini

Marys06Mini New Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Retired
    Bel Alton MD
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Similar Problem with 6-Speed Auto Trans

I am having a similar problem with my ASIN 6-Speed automatic on my 2006 Pepper White S-Model with 82,000 miles. Mine will go into neutral while just driving along. The automatic transmission is being replaced as I writing this email. I took my Mini Cooper to an independent shop that works on Mini Coopers. It‘s going to cost me around $5200.00 to replace the automatic transmission. It comes with a 3-year 100,000 mile warrant. This is a lot better than what I was quoted by the Mini Dealership 9500.00. Also there is a class action lawsuit going on against Mini USA. The shop I took my Mini too said he could fix the automatic transmission cheaper by replacing the defective parts. However, Mini will not sell the internal parts just complete automatic transmissions. He also tried to get the parts from his parts distributor but was told ASIN was told not to seller parts because the Automatic Transmission was made specifically for Mini Cooper. Anyway will be getting the Mini back this week fixed.

16. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    That is the same issue I was having.

17. andpeab

andpeab New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    bought a used control module and tried that solution....same issue/no change (glad i bought a salvage unit for $200 instead of having the dealer change it for $2300 plus labor). next step was taking it to an indy trans shop, and i found one with mini eperience who actually diagnosed the problem and knows how to fix things instead of just replace parts until it works. they did some tests and then opened up the trans....found blackened "lifetime" fluid and some metal shavings, a sign of failure in the trans. they'll pull it and tear it down and get back to me tomorrow with an estimate on a rebuild (how novel), probably in the $4-6k range, depending on what they find. pricey, but definitely better than $11k.

18. andpeab

andpeab New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well, it came in just under $6k and will be ready tomorrow. a piece broke off the reverse clutch and worked its way around causing trouble in its path. rebuild trans, replacing all clutches and seals, rebuilt torque convertor, and replace valve body. they weren't expecting the valve body so that pushed the cost up. work comes with a two year warranty. all this with only 46k on the odometer! i will definitely recommend to anyone buying a mini to not even consider an automatic trans.

19. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Glad to hear you got it fixed, but sorry that you had trouble and $$$$

IMHO the biggest fallacy on these cars is the "lifetime" fluid.
    It needs to be refreshed at regular intervals.
    The other big thing to watch out for is doing "power downshifts" in manual mode - downshifting aggressively and using engine braking. This overheats the fluid in the torque converter and is typically where black/burnt fluid comes from. Once the fluid is overheated, other problems will occur.

Now that I know the above, and act accordingly, all is well with mine. Not implying the OP did any of this "wrong" - just adding some more cautionary notes for others.

20. JoonChoi

JoonChoi New Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Marys06Mini I have the same problem. Could you tell me the name of shop you took your Mini to. Thanks.