MTTS: Wanna go all the way, but how to get the MINI back home?

Discussion in 'MINI Takes The States (July 26 - Aug 9, 2014)' started by CharlieVictor, Feb 16, 2014.

1. CharlieVictor

CharlieVictor New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 29, 2011
    SoCal
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I'm hoping to participate in MTTS again this year, but unlike previous years, I want to drive the whole way this time. Here's my problem: It's a 2-week road trip. I've got the two weeks in question off, but I live and work on the left coast. I can get the time off to drive SFO to Boston, but then I have to be back home about 48 hours later. Obviously, a plane ticket is the solution for ME, but what about my Clubman? I can think of several ways to deal with the problem, but surely I'm not the first person to face this. I'm looking to hear from those of you who've dealt with this on previous MTTS or similar roadtrips. What did you do? How long did it take? How much did it cost? Suggestions?

2. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    My ex wife and son should be flying into Boston to have thier own road trip back to SoCal but I have 3 volunteers who I trust to get mine back. Either way I am flying home to reality at the end, my car will get driven here by someone......

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Maybe you have a GREAT and FAITHFUL friend who will accompany you to Boston and be willing to drive the car back so you can return to your job on time? You could pay for the gas and whatever his lodging and food costs are, with regard to a return timeframe so you do not go bankrupt in the process.

4. CharlieVictor

CharlieVictor New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 29, 2011
    SoCal
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have to admit that I'm surprised that so few had anything to say; I would've thought that this situation was more common - but then I suppose most people are more practical than to drive across the country with no way to get the car back home again! My honest expectation is that I'll be shipping the car home. The other possibility (not under serious consideration) would be to just sell it there.

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I don't think that many of us here on the Eastern end would be driving the whole MTTS route. I guess there may be some, but they would have the same problem as you, or be happy for the long drive back. Since I am in Ohio, it just makes better sense for me to either catch the tour in Chicago or Cleveland and go on from there to Boston and just drive back home. However, I have a friend who lives in Erie, so I may just go to Cleveland and on to Erie to visit him, and then try to either catch up with the group in Buffalo, or drive down to Harrisburg to visit another friend before heading on back to western Ohio.

That said, I realize your predicament. I wouldn't want to see you selling your car just to solve your return problem and that's why I suggested that you take a friend along and have him drive the car back. He would have lots of people to tag along with on the return trip, because others are in the same boat as you, I think.

Just my 2c. I wish you luck.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    If you pay all my expenses I might fly to Boston and drive your car back to CA for you and fly me back to Philly. :ihih::lol:

It would be much easier to find someone to drive your car back rather than ship it back.

A friend on mine who is a teacher did the whole MTTS last time and drove from PA to the end and drove all the way back home again. Talk about an epic road trip with the wife and two dogs. :crazy:

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ I thought you would only drive an R53???? :smilewinkgrin:

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I said "buy" not drive for free across the country and fly back.

Who would pass up a free road trip across this beautiful country? :idea: not me :lol:

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Never said I hated R56 MINIs. We have an R55 in our garage. The way I see it I am vastly more qualified to return that beloved JCW R55 back to its loving home in Cali. :smilewinkgrin:

CharlieVickor you can pm me with the details. :D

10. Pooper

Pooper Club Coordinator

Oct 15, 2009
    Retired
    Shasta, CA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    We are working on setting up a transporter from Boston to California to get several Minis back. We have gotten prices in the $1100 ea for open trailer and about $1450 for enclosed trailer. Open trailers can carry up to 10 MINIs and the enclosed trailers carry about 6-8. Transit time is about 7-9 days. The above prices are one pickup point and one dropoff point. I am currently working with members of SCMM (So Cal) and Shasta Minis, and Nor Cal to see how many MINIs we have. If you are interested please send me an email [email protected] . I think the more the merrier. We have about 6-7 MINIs now.

11. MINIFIED

MINIFIED New Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And I'm looking into options for the opposite direction .. I need to get my MINI to SFO (or Colorado and I'll fly into there to pick it up and drive it to the start in SFO); I'm on the east coast and likewise only have sufficient vacation time to drive one direction .. which of course will be from the start (wouldn't miss the Million Dollar Highway in western CO that's been on my MINI bucket list for almost anything!) .. I would have expected to see some formal plans for shipping cars to SFO, especially from NJ (I could get my MINI there from here) and so far, nada .. if anyone sees a post regarding shipping to SFO, please post here (unless I should start another thread?)

This is gonna be a blast!!!

12. signcarver

signcarver New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    your shipping prices seem excellent - i was considering doing the opposite - ship my car from the east coast and drive it back. With very limited research i was getting figures in the 2k range. If you decide to ship it go for the covered option imo.

The other thing reason i ruled out driving the entire way is that MTTS is a lot of miles each day for many days and my older body probably couldn't withstand it... :)

13. Pooper

Pooper Club Coordinator

Oct 15, 2009
    Retired
    Shasta, CA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    For any & All California Mini owners going the whole way to Boston on MTTS, if you are thinking of shipping your Mini back to California, please contact me if you wish to team up and save some money with a group rate. We have already done a lot of research and are ready to secure plans. You can contact me via PM (Private Message) or by email: [email protected] Thanks!