2nd Gen R56 Cooper S My engine and tranny bouncing around under my hood?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Systemlord, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I have notice some strange scuff marks on top of my stock CAI and also on my former AEM CAI filter airbox and it's getting progressively worse in the past 5 months, what I don't understand is how or why. My only guess is it might be engine mounts? Which ones would cause the engine to bounce up and down? If you're going to recommend an upgraded part that might be stiffer what I don't want is something that's going to cause the car or interior to excessively vibrate!

Appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,
    Systemlord.

2. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    You need to check all three of them......

3. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Where are the 3 engine mounts located?

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    You might want to see if you can rock the engine front to back (not running of course)....

A lot of movement, then I'd check the link (#5) connected to th bottom of the transmission....

[​IMG]
    mounts.JPG

Side to side movement, then check #1& #1, #2& #2, #3....

[​IMG]
    mount 2.JPG

Might be just some bolts that have loosened....

Over time the flex joint on the exhaust will give out if you don't get it corrected....

5. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Below is a plastic connector that rests directly about where all of the marks are on the airbox, they line up perfectly! If it weren't for this plastic connector I fear that my hood would have been dented if it came into contact with something less flexible.

I couldn't move my engine from side to side or push it towards the rear firewall, but I was able to pull the engine in an upwards/forward motion. I pulled from behind the valve cover and in-between the stock airbox to get the engine to move only in an upwards/forward motion.

So it seems as if the number #5 mount at the bottom of the engine is the weak link, now I have heard of some who have replaced this particular engine mount that caused pretty strong vibrations. I want something a bit firmer than stock but not crazy stiff if you know what I mean.

I have heard some mention that they get if very stiff for performance for track use, what are my options here and are there a lot to choose from that all vary in how firm these engine mounts come in?

Thanks,
    Systemlord.

Attached Files:

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Actually #5 in the top picture restricts the engine from rocking front to back as you shift. It acts like a drop link.... So I really don't think that is your problem....

If you can lift the engine.... I'd be looking at the left and right engine mounts.... Which is #1, #2, & #3 in the top picture and everything in the second picture....

7. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I forgot to mention that on the left mount (passenger side), all of the bolts have wear marks from probably serious torque was applied to them . Let me see if I understand the mount with the #1, #2 and #3 is all one mount? The motor mounts to the chassis while the other two (upper and bottom) are above and below the engine? If so I don't understand what part needs replacement...?

Are there only two motor mounts?

8. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    #8 jiminni, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    "Are there only two motor mounts?"

If you look at the two diagrams that Metalman posted, the first one shows the two, "Engine Suspension", mounts, the upper one on the passenger side, and the lower one, under the center of the engine. The second diagram shows the, one, "Gearbox suspension", mount. They are what we are all calling the three, "Engine mounts".

BTW, what year is your car? No warranty left?

9. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #9 Systemlord, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    I have a 6-year/150k warranty starting this past March and it's a 2007 MCS. The engine mount on the passenger side is very stiff, my engine is bouncing up and down. Why would I need mount #1, #2 and #3 mount? No matter how much I try to get the passenger motor mount to move, it's like a rock.

10. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Not saying that you need to replace them, saying you need to check them. If the car is under an extended warranty, you should take it in and have them checked. It's hard to check them when they are bolted up and still have the weight of the engine holding them down, you need to remove the weight off of them to really check.

11. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I being they have to remove the engine to check the motor mounts? I also believe that my HPFP is signaling it's demise, I'll have them both looked at also. Is changing either of the three motor mounts time consuming (more than 4 hours)?

12. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Bottom one takes minutes to check, the upper passenger side, you need to unbolt, jack up the engine and check. The tranny one, is harder to check, but it should be fine. HPFP, will give codes if bad.

13. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I think I'll wait until my gas pump takes a dump, keep it under one $200 deductible. I have been hearing a progressively louder sound right where the gas tank is located under the car, sounds like a rusted shaft spinning fast with bad ball bearings, sometimes the sound comes and goes throughout the day. This could be why my engine runs lean sometimes causing a periodic ping on hard acceleration, you think?