My experience with Paul Walker

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by grey poupon, Dec 17, 2013.

1. grey poupon

grey poupon New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Video Producer/Detail Productions
    Rochester, NY
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    #1 grey poupon, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
    Since his unfortunate passing, I have been listening to a lot of people talk about how nice a guy Paul Walker is. Some of the descriptions are humble, laid-back, gracious, generous, sweet, grateful. I'm posting this interview to add my experience with Paul in a chance encounter.

Paul served as the Grand Marshal at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb in 2010. I was there shooting a documentary on one of the racers, Savannah Rickli. As you would imagine, Paul was swarmed with people everywhere he went. I wanted to interview him and include it in my project but I didn't think I had a chance. I'm a freelance videographer. I don't work for a major media outlet.

By pure coincidence I happened to be standing outside one of the race control trailers when Paul walked out. At first there were a number of people asking for photographs. I approached him and asked if I could get an interview for my project. I was expecting this big star to say NO. To my surprise, he said, "Sure, where do you want to do it? Right here?" Realizing what he said, I immediately replied, "yes, this is good with me!" What he said next sold me on how nice a guy he really is, "Why don't we go inside where it's quiet. This way we won't get interrupted."

This was not a scheduled interview. As I mentioned already, I'm not a known journalist or employed by a major news/sports outlet. There was no big benefit to Paul for granting me this time since my project was going to be marketed to a niche group and not centered on him at all. The fact that he did is a testament to his real character.

Here is the link to my interview.

Paul Walker @ Pikes Peak

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for sharing this with us.