My MINI is being used in an ad without my permission

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nathan, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Someone pointed this out to me.

WARNING...goes to another site: Link to ad

It seems the OP is using an image of my car to sell of parts from his own. It's pretty darn obvious that is my car, how many others had a smushed gnat on the hood going into the scoop. (I really should put that decal back on again). Anyway, as I am persona non gratis on that site I cannot reply to the ad. I have sent an email to the site management asking that the image be removed but I have a sneaking suspicion that my request will be met with laughter.

It's a great picture taken by DickDavid at a MM.org meeting at Humperdinks back in 07, but that is no excuse for using the image without even asking or giving attribution to me.

So if ya'll want to start a campaign to have it removed I'll be grateful.

Thanks....

2. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    A letter from your attorney would probably cause the laughter to come to a choking halt... :Thumbsup:

Also, if they don't have the photog's permission, there is a whole other can of worms, especially since they are using the image for commercial purposes.

Juss sayin'!

3. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I'll go and post something nice over on the sewing site. :devil:

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I also added some comments and added the tag line.

I am just sayin........:D:aureola:

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The image was pulled...

Thanks all...

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Did it get taken down? All I see is pictures of parts on the ad, no car pics, and it appears the first pic is missing now....

7. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    No, this is what happens when you try to contact the management:

That was last year and it still hasn't been updated!

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup it was just pulled today after a few of us from MA posted. LMAO

9. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    It used to look like this.........
    [​IMG]

So, the seller 'steals' a pic of somebody else's car, then the ad goes on to say that he can only accept cashier's check and the like, no PayPal. If that aint a red flag.....

10. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Scittinbend found a tunershop in Ct. using a picture of Kelli's MINI to advertise their MINI service and products. I emailed them and asked what kind of sponsorship package they had for using her car to promote their site. He told me none and so I asked him to remove it since he was a business using our image to sell his products. At first they basically said "yeah, so what." I told him that we didn't have a lawyer, but her car was well known and that I would post what he did on all of the MINI sites about how he refused to cooperate and then he could deal with how that would affect his small business. He removed it and apoligized so all was well.

11. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    A well known, respected and established MINI vendor (also an MA sponser, btw) lifted my pic of my JCW steering wheel from NAM and used it in their web product catalog. There was some garage stuff in the background and they blurred it out :lol:. I didn't know about it until someone posted a question about the JCW steering wheel and linked to the photo. I posted my surprise that it was my picture. It was soon quietly removed from the vendor's website and I was never contacted.

12. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Glad that got resolved, you bunch of renegades:Thumbsup:

Mark

13. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    How does that work anyway, is a photo posted on the web without a disclaimer not considered public domain?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

14. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #14 Metalman, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
    You guy's remind me of an article I read about.......:D

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

"Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it.
    Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed.

Good Day..."

Gee-sh, this should have been posted in "Top Speed In A MINI", can you move it Nathan?

15. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I was going to put this in the Marketplace, but then remembering all the confusion that occurred the last time I did something like this, I'd figure it'd be safer to put it here:

FOR SALE: Whore-izon spring booster

Almost new, barely functional sprint booster. Asking $400.00 (paid $350.), firm. Pictures below:

Attached Files:

• MCS.jpg
      MCS.jpg
      File size:
      74.9 KB
      Views:
  16. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    How do I get that Tornado doohickey into a Mini? I want one. :D

17. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My ex had a picture of his truck used in an ad and it didnt even have their products on it.. we emiled them, and they gave him free stuff... so it was all good after that

18. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +659 / 0 / -0
    Would you happen to have 2 for sale?

19. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Probably not, but I'm sure if you send them the money, you may:rolleyes5:, or may not:yesnod:, get one shipped to you.

Mark

20. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I do have two highly used and heavily malfunctioning unit for sale: the special offer still applies (One for $400, or two for $900).

I was kinda thinking, with the recent frenzy over the "Rick Rolling" on NAM, maybe we should start a new fad: "Nate Rolling," where we put pictures of Nate's car without his permission on as many websites as possible. Person with most posts of Nate's car wins like a free grill badge or something (at Nate's expense, of course). Posts of Nate's car on NAM count double.