My next project: ENGINE OVERHAUL!

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by ImagoX, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Well... sorta...

Car is a 1992 (VINned as '76) Mini Sprite, 1275. 89k on the clock but the engine (besides the smoke) runs great - always starts, pulls well, etc.) I believe the engine started its life as a SPI because of the oxy sensor port on the exhaust manifold and the extra, seemingly unused relays on the passenger side of the engine bay. Currently running a single HIF6 carb.

This started because I need a valve job (smoky starts) and also because the engine has multiple oil leaks seemingly all over the block. The goals of the project are:

1. Pull motor in order to fix all oil leaks.
    2. Recondition motor, paint classic green, tidy all wiring/remove anything not needed.
    3. Replace fugly stock air box with K&N unit. Clean and polish carb since hey, I'll be able to see it now.
    4. Service or at least inspect clutch. It runs great, but I literally have NO IDEA how long it's been since it was serviced, and with the engine out of the car, why not?
    5. Tidy engine bay. Repaint where needed. Clean munge where required.
    6. Consider replacing radiator with a higher-efficiency unit. The car runs a bit hot with the stock rad. Also replace all tubing with at least basic black replacements (again, no idea how old everything is - probably original equipment which is going on 20 years old). Possibly nice, silicone units.
    7. Replace fan with clean unit. Consider upgrading to tropical fan.
    8. Inspect and likely replace all engine mounts and bushings since, hey, why not?
    9. Full valve job while I have the motor out. I know I'll need a machine shop to press in the guides and smooth everything out.

QUESTIONS AT THIS PHASE:

1. Can anyone recommend a specific radiator that's worked well for them? I might just re-paint the existing one since it seems OK, but I hate watching the temp get to the 3/4 mark while stopped in traffic...
    2. Silicone hoses - worth it? Just for looks?
    3. Tropical fan - how much louder? I hear it does make a difference, and with it in place I might be able to simply freshen the existing radiator.
    4. 7Enterprises tells me that a K&N air filter will NOT require carb rejetting - but will I need to adjust the carbs do you think to compensate for the difference in air flow? I'm currently running the big, round plastic air box with the hoop-shaped air filter.
    5. What have people used for the engine re-paint, and did it work? Anything special besides cleaning everything really well re: prep?
    6. Clutch: inspect, replace, or service? I have a Haynes book, but for some reason clutches scare me. What should I be looking for besides worn levers/pins?

Thanks, all...

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Subscribing, I want to keep up with this thread!

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    If you are going to pull the engine Matt I'd go ahead & pull it all the way apart. New piston rings & new bearings, both rod & crank.

If you go to the trouble to remove the engine, new clutch, pressure plate & throw-out bearing.

The A series engine is dead simple to work on. You can do it!

When I put K&N air filters on my 69 Midget I had to re-adjust the carbs. It was lean, but easily adjusted. You only have one carb so it is even easier.

4. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    #4 ImagoX, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
    Sheesh... pressure already!

Here's some pics as she appears today:
    Fiona_Garage_Door_Web.jpg fiona_radiatorhoses1.jpg fiona_radiatorhoses2.jpg MistyMorning_wallpaper.jpg

And the engine bay:

fiona_rockercover.jpg

5. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I was considering the piston rings and bearings, since I've heard the valve issue might affect them. DO I need special tools/training to get that deep into the motor, though? I know NOTHING about that part of the engine, really, other than that there are these ring things... on, um... the pistons I think... that... do a job... :blush2:

You get the picture.

Thanks for the list of parts for the clutch - It looks like from the Haynes book that it's pretty easy to get to everything with, you know, the engine out of the car and all...

Why is everyone looking at me with those sad, knowing expressions? :arf:

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Matt the way I see it is, if you are going to do this you might as well do it right. Besides it is fun spending your money. :D

If you just want to do the head I'd recommend doing a leak-down test. It will help you pinpoint the health of the valves & rings. Could be that your MINIs bottom end is good. Although it will tell you nothing about the bearings.

I'd pop for the silicone hoses if they are available. They will last longer than the regular replacement ones. I recently read somewhere in a British rag that someone is making silicone hoses with a dull finish so they look like the original ones.

7. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Can I do the leak-down test before I do the valve job? Just... what? Take it to Northend?

8. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Yep do it before the engine comes apart. It will give you a good idea of the engines overall health. Yes they can & will do a good job. Tell them what you are planning to do.

9. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Plastigage, STP and a torque wrench. For us old farts, three essential items for main and connecting rod bearing replacement. Remember to Plastigage 90 degrees from the bearing split. And slop that STP generously.

Oh man...what fond memories. And I'm serious.

....Les

10. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Will do, Chuck - thanks for the tip.

Re: Plastigage - what? I looked it up and I still can't tell what it does. ALso... STP... oil? Or something else?

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    STP is what us old farts used for assembly lube. Yep plastigauge FTW!

A fun project for you & Grayson would be to get an old mower engine to pull apart & reassemble. You'll learn a lot & have fun doing it.

13. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
  14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    If you replace the bearings you need to verify that the clearance is correct. If not your newly built engine will not last long.

They are a tool.

15. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  16. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Hrm... now you're freaking me out.

17. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Nothing to freak out about. It is just an engine, follow the steps & build it up. An A series motor is a simple little lump.

18. xsmini

xsmini Member

May 27, 2009
    Bishop, Ca
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Subscribing..... I need to do this to my wife's classic soon. It too has tons of leaks, and two weeks ago the heater valve broke. Steam cleaned the right side of the engine, so I guess that was a + :biggrin5:

Nik

19. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    What did you use for the steam cleaning? I planned to just use a boatload of solvent, an assortment of brushes, and my typical salty vocabulary...

20. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #20 Jason Montague, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    :cornut:Mine's not a classic but an 08 R56 MCS JCW manual and I just drive to the (hand held wand)car wash. Put a plastic bag over the air intake and any electrical boxes that I'm worried about(Saran Wrap). Spray with degreaser, then power washer detergent, rinse with water and I'm done. I've been doing this for over 4yrs and no issues yet except for the Dealership Techs asking," how do you get your engine that clean?" I tell them and they ask about shielding electrical and air intake etc. They mull it over and say,"I never thought of that.":Thumbsup:(if the car dies as you're leaving the car wash............you forgot to take the plastic bag off of the air intake. Yes.......I was that stupid.)

Jason