1st Gen R53 Cooper S Mysterious Grease??

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by wzabrouski, Sep 5, 2010.

1. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    While changing my oil today, I noticed this thick greasy goo all over my passenger side suspension parts directly below the oil filter canister. It could not see where I was leaking any oil as I have not seen any puddles and the oil level is good. No torn axle boots? I thought it might have been the upper engine mount but I did not see anything along the frame below the mount. Not the shock? I cleaned everything up and figured I would keep any eye on it Any ideas???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Hmmm, my first thought was the engine mount... maybe just early enoug to splatter a bit and not enouth to pool under the damper.

Another possibility would be steering fluid. The factory clamps like to come loose from the top and bottom of the 2 tubes that lead from the bottom of the resovoir down to the steering rack. A shop caught my '06 MCS leaking there during a track inspection and I never had a tell tale puddle under the car. The steering pump was gummed up with goo and road dirt, though... it must have been leaking a bit at a time for a while under harder steering conditions.

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    If thick greasy goo, my bet is a blown CV boot. Need to get it checked ASAP - running this way for extended mileage can result in CV failure or wear, and need for a new axle. If you catch it early, you can just have the boot replaced and repacked.

4. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I think it is originating in vicinity of the the tensioner? See photo

Attached Files:

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    If it's way up there, then likely a leaking engine mount... but that's not thick greasy goo, just oily gunk. lol

6. cal330ci

cal330ci New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Automotive Technician
    Vancouver BC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If its Black its mostly the engine mount. If you remove the bottom bolt holding it to the body and fluid comes out thats your problem.
    You need to check both inside and outside CV boots. Check them by hand and see if they are split/torn. If it is the CV shaft you may be able to save it with a repair kit instead of buying the whole part

7. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I had the mount changed once already. Would it leak again? Wouldn't I see oil along the rail the mount sits on? This is where I saw it last time. Is there anywhere up by the tensioner that has access to engine oil? It appears to be a substance similar to oil. Light brown in color.

8. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it's left over from the first one that failed??

9. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    No it's new. I cleaned it up yesterday and went for a ride and it was back. I ran the car while up on jack stands and no oily mess. But after a ride with engine motion I get the oily liquid.

10. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Here is a pic of the bolt that goes up into the bottom of the engine mount. It was taken laying on my back under the front passenger side tire, pulling the wheel well liner away a bit (you can see the crank pulley). Like someone mentioned above, loosen the strangely shaped bolt in the center of the pic. If oil drips out, you now know the problem.

[​IMG]

The replacement isn't a snap, but it's doable if you are handy with tools. I'm on damper #3 for my '06 MCS, so yes... they can blow again. Way Motorworks sells the TSW upper engine damper to replace this part, if you want to go non-stock to solve it once and for all.

A to-do article I wrote a few weeks ago is here: http://www.motoringalliance.com/library/1st-generation-mini-cooper-how-to-3/powerflex-transmission-mount-bushing-install-w-upper-engine-damper-replacement-82/

11. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    What kind of head is on that bolt?

12. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    External torx / female torx / reverse torx... my craftsman socket is marked E12.

13. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Yeah... it's looks funky, but a standard metric socket from my Home Depot special (Husky brand) socket set fit it just fine. I just treated it as a regular old bolt and had no problems.

You can tell from the grease splatter in the pic, that I was definately having a problem with the damper, and once I loosened the bolt, oil came dripping down (1 drop a second for 15-20 seconds or so). I didn't have a huge mess on the upper frame rail with this one (like I did with the first one that blew around 25k miles), but there was some build-up there which was my first alert that there was a problem.

14. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I want to thank everyone for their great advice. I took the time today to access the bolt and loosen it a bit. I struck oil! So next step is to order the TSW mount from Way. Thank you all for you help!!!! Greatly appreciated.

15. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Congratulations on finding the problem!

Order the transmission engine mount bush from Powerflex from him too. I'm liking that mod more and more now and it's fairly simple to do while you are replacing the upper motor mount. Some have reported additional NVH with that bushing addition, though I haven't. Poke around the website for the thoughts of others to get a balanced view.

16. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for you help. With the TSW mount, I will not have any need for my engine damper correct?

17. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
  18. cal330ci

cal330ci New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Automotive Technician
    Vancouver BC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    haha Strangled Shaped bolt... I like it.... crazy european cars
    Yeah if you loosen that and get hydraulic oil on your head its the engine mount
    You may have replaced it before but the next can leak... trust me