2nd Gen R56 Cooper S N14 PCV delete

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by e46tor56, Jun 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone with a N14 delete the PCV? Apparently later model Peugeot and Citroen models that use the N14/THP200 engine have the PCV deleted from the factory for the carbon build up problem.

One of my friends in Britain drives a Citroen DS3 D-Sport 1.6 Turbo. Who I was talking to about the carbon build up in the N14s. He mentioned that he deleted the PCV with two rubber plugs that Citroen is using on their later models. He told me that alot of his MINI chaps are doing the samething with their N14s. He sent me this tech DIY thread regarding deleting the PCV hose.

etuners : Technical File

Thoughts? Why hasn't MINI/BMW done the samething? Or have a TSB about deleting the PCV?

2. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I did this for a year with the Peugeot plugs and the car started to consume more oil than normal. It was very noticeable at vacuum conditions when the car wasn't under boost. After a while there was quite a bit of smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I went back to stock and problem is gone. I just stick to cleaning the intake ports/valves manually.

3. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    How miles between oil changes do you go? I've been changing the oil every 5K and haven't had oil consumption issues. I also added a BSH OCC.

My buddy said that Peugeot has started removing the PCV on vehicles that come in with carbon build up.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well that's interesting....
    I'm sure the EPA might not agree with what Peugeot is doing.... And since Peugeot isn't sold in the US.... BMW/MINI won't be following through with this....

Besides.... BMW/MINI may be looking at the carbon buildup as a billable maintenance strategy... $$$ opportunities may be presenting themselves....

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Rule one in life: Never trust the French.
    Rule two: Never buy a French car.

They only make good wine, toast and fries. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::devil:

6. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: 2008 N14 engine here. BSH OCC and BSH Boost Tap on x45kmi and no oil use or intake valve carbon problems.:Thumbsup:

Jason

7. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Had a similar setup --- '07 N14 w/62K miles --- bad oil use! Tried the two vent caps --- no help! Currently using a "tee" on both engine ports to a BSH OCC --- still burning oil, just not as much. Ordered a dual OCC to try. Expect to install it sometime next week. I'll post results after a month or so of driving.

I'm still pretty sure it's crankcase back-pressure causing the problem, but there are other possibilities --- low compression test readings. Altho, the oil slick on my turbo air inlet hose points to back-pressure. Driving style / habit is also a consideration --- big effect on the valve cover emission control valves (reference the Bentley manual).

Messing with the factory designed emission controls is risky. The dual OCC should restore these controls (with vacuum), with the added benefit of oil removal from the intake.

8. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I've got to agree with you DaveO. My Great Grandfather ran away from France as soon as he could at 16yo. Stowed away on board a ship heading to the port of Galveston in the Republic of Texas circa 1844. Was a Confederate Soldier, Texas Ranger, a stage coach driver, and a subsistence farmer. He never looked back. Said," he weren't no damn Frenchman, he was a Texan!" DaveO, only my panty waist hair dresser N14 engine is French not the entire car. The Garrett Turbo Charger is definitely Red, White, and Blue and MINI has finally fixed all the glitches with much help from BSH's OCC and Dual Tap Boost.:Thumbsup:

Jason

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Sorry... But I have to color you wrong...

The oem MINI turbo is manufactured by Borg Warner - 3K - Schwitzer, BWTS DE out of Germany.... That's certainly not to say "others" aren't supplying aftermarket turbo's for the MINI, but they aren't oem...

And are you saying MINI worked with BSH and fixed all the glitches...

Well... I did not know this...

10. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Do with your coloring book as you see fit(still not allowed to have sharp objects ay?):wink2. My turbo charger has Garrett stamped right on it. Margi(08 R56 BRG MCS/JCWm) started production early Dec 07 and I picked her up at MINI of Dallas, TX early Feb 08. She's never had a turbo charger change:yesnod:. MINI fixed all of the glitches except the intake valve carbon problem when I installed the BSH products to help MINI Margi with that problem:deadhorse:. Since you don't have an OCC on your MINI, again, what would you know about them:smilewinkgrin:? In all good conscience, we shouldn't be showing this side of our disagreements to our MA brothers and sisters. If I started this, I apologize and agree to cease and desist. You're an extrordinary machinist without peer and I'd just as soon be friends. Friends? :Thumbsup:

Jason

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I must color you wrong again...
    Those in the know might disagree with you and color you wrong as well...:D

12. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #12 Jason Montague, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    :cornut: Color me wrong(actually color me BRG).:lol: You're my friend whether you want to be or not.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Jason

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    :D

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Look a conflict I was not in.:lol::lol::lol::lol: