Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S N18 Thermostat Issues?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by YesIFit, Aug 3, 2011.

1. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I was running errands on Monday afternoon in the C-man, and after getting back in the car during one stop, the SES light came on. (Car still ran fine .. no limp mode or anything else.) I took the car into the local dealership the next morning. They ran dignostics on it, and it turns out that there's a problem with the chip/wiring in the thermostat. As it was explained to me, the thermostat thinks the car's overheating and is sending specs to the OBC that are out of parameter, so it triggers the SES light.

Apparently, this is turning out to be a common issue on the N18 engine. The delership told me that MINIUSA is aware of the problem, and have issued a TSB on it, but there's no fix as of yet. They told me they could change the thermostat out, but they'd just be replacing it with one that is exactly the same, and would most likely trigger the same problem again. (They said they've replaced 10-15 of them so far, and about 3-4 of them have had the problem reappear. Those 3-4 people are just driving around with the SES light on.) They cleared the code for me, and basically sent me on my way, telling me the car is still dafe to drive, and that they hoped they had a fix for it soon. Of course, the light came back on about 5 miles down the road ... guess I'll get some electrical tape to fix it for the time being.

So, anyone else having this problem?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Are they at all attributing this to the abnormal temps ya'll are experiencing in the region?

3. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    #3 YesIFit, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
    Not sure .. probably doesn't help. Although, if there are enough cars with this problem to warrant a TSB, I'd imagine that it isn't just related to the cars in higher-temp areas.

4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    '11 R56 with 8500 miles on the clock -- I have not experienced this issue. Will be keeping an eye out for it.

5. Robin Casady

Robin Casady New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Nov 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haven't seen this on the temperate California coast. I'm running a ScanGaugeII so I see a readout of the coolant temp from the OBC.

It would be interesting to see what numbers it is reading on yours.

6. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Ive got my SGII hooked up in the M3 right now (those do NOT take well to overheating, and the temp guage is pretty much an idiot light ... it's stays "in the middle" from about 160 all the way to 230 .. by the time it moves to "hot", you're screwed) but I might pull it out and check, just to see if it's outta whack.

7. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Just saw a R56 thermostat housing for the first time today :eek:ut: So the actuall thermostat is not replaceable. Either is the the connector or anything on it! It is a complete relace part. Goofy. And BTW, it seems they have a tendency to leak from where they bond it down the middle!

8. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: ~5mos ago at 49kmi Margi(08 R56 MCS/JCWm) was blowing/vomiting coolant after the engine was turned off. No over heating( per SGII),SES light, or codes thwown with the engine running. I took her to the dealer and they replaced head gasket. Took her home and the same problem continues. I take her back in and they replace the computer control unit and the thermostat. No problems since until 'The Raccoon Swan Dive 2 1/2 Gainer' under the right front bumper but, that's another story............................................:Thumbsup:

Jason