1st Gen Need a new camera.

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by goaljnky, Dec 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    My old Nikon Coolpix 8800 somehow died by just sitting in its camera bag and not being used for the past year or so. Paid almost $1,000 for it a few years back when it just came out, but now it's not worth enough to try to fix it.

So I need a new camera. Looking for something that takes a decent pic. Needs to be small. The 8800 was the size of a DSLR and not very convenient. Would love for it to be able to shoot video so it can be attached to a head rest mount for an occasional HPDE (HD even better).

And of course reasonable priced, us being in a recession and all.

So, any suggestions?

2. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    We have a bunch of cameras...

and really, it all depends on size (doesn't it always)....

Anyway, turns out that there are LOTS of small cameras that do video and aren't very expensive. For a mid sized, I've really, really liked the Canon PowerShot G7. It allows for a lot of manual control that the small ones just don't. I think they're up to the G10 or G11 by now. But it's too big for a shirt pocket.

Get thee to a camera review site, buy one of last years models at a steep discount, and have at it!

Matt

3. MINIBee

MINIBee New Member

May 4, 2009
    Senior Video Producer, St. Petersburg Times
    Tampa, FL
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    If you want HD video take a look at the Canon Powershot SX1 IS. If normal DV video is fine (not wide) then look at the SX10 IS. Both are great still cameras and also do great video. Optical zoom is outstanding and they have two built in microphones for superior sound. One is about $500 the other is around $350.

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Both those look about the size of my old one. I think I want something a little more portable. Of course i could probably always just get the Flip HD for video. Does anyone know if Flip's video files can be edited in iMovie, or something similar?

5. MINIBee

MINIBee New Member

May 4, 2009
    Senior Video Producer, St. Petersburg Times
    Tampa, FL
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you can edit the Flip in iMovie. If you care about audio, you might take a look at the Kodak Zi8. It has a microphone port so you can add external mics. The Canon G10 (the new one is the G11) is an excellent choice that you mentioned earlier. It's a better still camera than a video camera though as the audio is not the greatest. It does shoot stills in RAW mode though which some people prefer.

6. VicSkimmr

VicSkimmr MINI of the Month - January 2010

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I know this is old, but it's hard to find a camera that is both small and takes great pics.

The Canon G series is by far the best P&S camera you could own. It's a little on the large side but will take shots that rival (and surpass) DSLR pics.

7. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    We have a Sony....compact and with Zeiss lense. It's our second one.....always impressed by the pic quality.

I had a Canon Rebel XTi - it's hard to compare a p&s with an SLR but you can't get the shot if you don't have the camera with you, so, there's a benefit to a high quality little cam to.

8. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    And I've yet to get one. I really need to get off my duff.

9. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Really like our Canon Powershot G10. Not bad video, great stills.

Mark

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Really fond of our Canon S3 IS - takes very good quality vacation photos and good quality 640x480 video - have used it lots on a CruiseCam mount at the Dragon and on the track. Not a pocket cam - but also not SLR sized.

I'm looking hard at the Rebel T1i - NOT a compact cam... but true HD video and live view in an SLR body is very attractive to me...

For pocketable cams, I'm a big fan of the Casios... not a traditional camera powerhouse, but their little pocket cams are really excellent IMHO.

11. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0

I have the Rebel T1i - and I absolutely love it.

12. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'll second that, although my newer one is about five years old. Their video and audio capabilities were way, way ahead of the pack back then (ignore if you hate the idea of taking video with a "stills camera.") I have a Casio that's about seven year old that I gave to my daughter last year to play with. It's a 2MP camera, but it takes video, it has a stainless steel case, and it's tiny (credit card size and about 1/2" deep total). It still works, and she loves it.

13. MaxN

MaxN New Member

May 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it depends what you are looking for.

I have Canon DSLR's that I use for paying work, plus cars and coffee shots, currently I have an EOS 20D, 40D and now a 50D plus a 5D mk2. The quality of the pics is highly dependent on the quality of the lens and the idiot pressing the buttons :) I have many thousands of dollars in 'glass' and frankly that is way overkill for anyone that is not earning money from photography.

For casual photography I use a Canon G7, this camera is a 'photo journalist' camera that is very, very high quality, very fast and has many facilities that 'pros' love.

I recently bought a G11 as a replacemen, but I still prefer the G7 and I am planning on sending the G11 back to Amazon and getting an S90IS.

Personally I do not shoot video with any of my cameras, I have a dedicated video camera that I can use for that and generally the image quality and especially the sound quality from it is way better than any pocket (or even DSLR) can manage, plus you get things like autofocus that actually works well and a much more natural format to hold for video work.

My advice ?

Depending on your budget ?

Casio Exlims are brilliant - I still have an old one - super fast, tiny and bullet proof. For $160 you cannot go wrong.

The next step is is a Canon SD780IS at $200 they are amazingly good, I used one over the holiday and loved it - the results are great in 'decent' light, using flash they are about as good as anything short of a 'proper' flashgun on a 'proper' camera :) The 940 is better as it has a wide angle lens, but it is an extra $50, if you take group pics it is worth it. Either way for most casual use they are close to idea.

The next step up price wise nets you a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 this is an excellent camera and possibly worth the extra cash over the Canon780/940, but only just. I would be more likely to pickup the Canon PowerShot SX200IS which is about $300 or so but only because I personally prefer Canon hardware.

Then, if you really want top quality results ?

$400 gets you the Canon PowerShot S90IS. This is a G-series camera in a tiny body. I will be replacing my G11 with this once I send it back. Really high quality images, really small, really easy to use, very fast, but $400.........

14. am0eba

am0eba New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal - LA County
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    MaxN, great comments! I'm looking for a small P&S now as well, since my Canon SD400 crapped out last month, and I am currently leaning toward the SD780IS. I'll look into the other models you mention as well.

_Dave_

15. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Always had great success with the Panasonic models. The Lieca lenses are great but what I like the most is the user interface. IMHO, the interface across all their models is far more intuitive than many of the competitors. Obviously it's personal taste, but my wife, who's a camera (and MINI) noob has virtually no problems with the interface, and that's all I'm going to say on that subject. ;) There's a local store called Leo's cameras which carries all the major brands and does a ton of very highend stuff for pros and the movie biz in Vancouver, and they were the ones that got me onto Panasonic years ago.

That's my $.02 worth

16. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I love the Flip Ultra HD for it's simplicity and ease of use. The Kodak ZI8 really isn't the Flip killer it was intended to be. I use iMovie to edit Flip files although the built in software is very good though limited, it's the fastest way to view your clips, string them together with opening/closing titles. Editing is clunky because you have to trim all your clips first before assembling them. But nothing beats the Flips simplicity. I can turn it on and start recording the moment I see something interesting. No menus to wade through.

I've also got a Canon HFS-10 HD Camcorder that takes wonderful stills. While a lot of people will swear by shooting video from a digital SLR, shooting stills and video from a dedicated HD camcorder can also produce equally fantastic results. In fact, on my honeymoon to Bali last month, I left the DSLR at home and brought just the Flip and the HFS-10. The Flip is cheap enough that I don't worry about it. I can take it to the beach or anywhere that I might worry about a more expensive camera/camcorder. It shoots superior video over my iPhone 3GS.

For sunsets and times I wanted the best images, I took the HFS-10 and that gave me the most flexibility.

Btw for driving videos...the Flip mounted using my defunct VacuCam 1B mounted to the sunroof, mounted upside down and flipped in iMovie produces incredible footage.

I got samples of any of that if you're interested...just not handy right now to link to it...oops found some HFS-10 stills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Richard