Need advice soon

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Pat, May 16, 2018.

1. Pat

Pat New Member

May 16, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hello! I’m new to the mini world done tons of work on them always desired one ( not on purpose but named my son cooper he had a melt down when I said I was getting a new Mini Cooper “why are you replacing your best son dad” he says to me lol ) finally found a nice one with a good body! It’s a 07 2nd gen r58 motor 118,000 miles on her he’s asking 5k but already got him saying he’ll drop the price so figure 4300-4500 ( good deal? )
    Is there anything I should look out for guys selling it due to buying a 350z says he’s got a p1497 replace valve cover still returns go figure.. no biggie not worried about codes or timing chains have the locking kit done dozens of them due to the weak guilds and faulty torque spec on the tensioner!

Main question is anything other then that to look out for so busy doing repairs on them never got to actually drive them long term and don’t have anyone local who owns one what’s most common things that go wrong with them??

I should note he says runs rough at idle but no power lose and had headgasket done water pump timing chains whole 9 yards showed me paper work think maybe gummed up valves or timing off a bit.

Thanks for your help will be try and help with problems been lead tech at my shop 12 years now we work on anything the has 4-6 wheels so I’ll keep my ear out for ya’ll

Pat

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Hi and welcome to MA!
    They only made the R58 (coupe) from 2011-2015. Do you mean a R56 (cooper S)? If it is a 07S it has a N14 engine. The rough idle could be carbon build. If so it will need walnut blasting to clean it out. I thank if whoever did all that work couldn’t get the timing right I would wonder what els he did wrong.

What part of the country are you in?

3. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    If you've worked on a number of them you know to avoid an N14 equipped MINI like the plague. The engines (I know there's like 3 that are ok) are just garbage. The N18, though better, still has it's issues and it's the better of the 2 and MINI has extended the warranty for the HPFP on most all of the later second Gen cars to 120k. Look for a well maintained 11'+ MINI. They're not too far off that price you want to spend. If you get that N14 you'll spend more time topping off oil and chasing leaks/issues the entire time you own it. I'm sure some N14 owners will chime in.

4. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    12 R58 JCW, only one coil went bad in 6.5 years of ownership.

5. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    As the owner of an 08 MCS with the N14 - yeah, it’s a lifestyle choice to have one. Now, I do have over 150,000 on it, but every couple of years there’s an expensive repair to something like the timing chain, oil gaskets, water pump, etc.

Still, I do love it, and enjoy working on it (the parts I can get to), and I’ve put so much blood into it that at this point we’re related.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Also, Pat something to consider are 1st Gen MINI's. There's tons of well maintained, very clean R53's for sale all over the interwebs and they're at the price of a more trouble prone early 2nd Gen.

7. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    N18 ftw :D I replaced all coils around 70k, but she's on her 3rd HPFP, thermostat started pissing coolant all over at 90k, and the expansion tank went just before the dragon, all in the 104k life of my 12'.

8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Huh....I had the timing chain replaced on my 2009 Clubman S under warranty at 3K and haven't had a problem since ...now have 80K on it. I even flat tow my Classic Mini with mine, all over the country. I did do the walnut blast myself at 50K, but I never noticed any difference in performance, idle or mileage FWIW. Mine does not burn oil, I add a quart between changes I do every 5K or so.....
    However, it sounds like this car has had a lot of work done to it and needs even more - I think I would look for a better car......

9. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I think whether or not a car has been neglected has a TON to do with all these N14 failures, and I'm sure if an owner kept a close eye on everything vital fluids-wise and kept up with all maint. items they can be ok. That said, there are items that fail at what seem to be extremely premature rates when compared to most other common cars on both 2nd Gen motors with N14 being a bit more finicky. and THAT said I'm extremely OCD about my cars' fluids and use top tier 93 only. She's blown 2 fuel pumps and the coils failed at 60-70k. The thermostat, water pulley, control arm bushings, and coolant reservoir I consider maint. items but still think they failed too early. I've never changed a thermostat on a car before 150k on any car I've ever owned. I never had to replace my Accords' and she had 275k when I sold it. Original clutch too (hadda be replaced though). Also never changed an expansion tank.

10. Pat

Pat New Member

May 16, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Haha! Yes, it’s the R56! So N14 stay away from? Not worried about labor for repairs mostly parts I get free oil and coolant and thing really just don’t want like BCM issues stuff like that...

What kind of horse power can these motors take and before you need to do internal repairs not looking to go crazy just looking for some extra power.

11. Pat

Pat New Member

May 16, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I’m from Pennsylvania.

12. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Good friend of mine is getting over 310WHP out of his N14 with OEM bottom end. I also got 300+ but eventually blew out a cylinder when I ran 30PSI boost without decreasing piston CR. If you go for over 300WHP, be prepared to beef up the cylinder walls.

13. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I had a 2010 S (last of the N14s). I lucked out. I never had oil consumption or a HPFP go on me. I had the timing chain/cover replaced as part of factory mandated service. It wasn't faulty at the time.

Factory did an improper clutch installation which was covered by warranty.

I had some carbon build up but it was WAY less than others have had. It may have something to do with the fact I Autocrossed and road raced mine though....

I sold mine at like 75k, very used, miles with a tear to the diverter valve.

As far as R56s go I go lucky but it certainly wasn't trouble free. My engine was just in better condition than most N14s.