Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Need confirmation: will these wheels fit?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by ImagoX, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking at these wheels for my 2005 R52 (Cooper S cabrio):

ALT 252 Wheel 18x7.5

These are 18x7.5" wheels with a 35mm offset. I was going to use 215/40ZR18 tires on them (these: Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 ).

QUESTIONS:

1. Will I need "concentric rings" or spacers on the Cooper S?

2. The low-profile tires will prevent wheel arch fouling/rubbing, both at full steering lock and at full suspension compression, yes? I'm running 17" wheels ATM and there's not a ton of clearance, particularly in the rear, between the tire and the wheel arch, but I think these tires are lower-profile.

Sorry if either of the above is obvious from the wheel/tire specs - the tire code/offset stuff is always somewhat Greek to me. :)

Thanks as always in advance for any info!!

-Matt

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    This data is for a R56 so hope it pertains

I am running 18X7.5 wheels, offset 42, with 225/40/18's with no rubbing at all. I am not 100% certain but I would *think* that extra 10mm of tire width and it's affect on the ratio to the 40 side wall would more than accommodate the diff in offset (42 vs 35)

3. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    My guess is you will have rubbing on the rear outside. However, I see that Outmotoring says they will not rub.

I use 18x7 with 37 offset with 215/40-18 Hankook V12 tires and the JCW suspension (so lowered about 5/8") and I get rubbing at both the outside rear wheel arch and the plastic wheel well liner when the suspension is loaded. A little clearancing with a dremel tool to cut away some of the plastic wheel arch and liner eliminates the rubbing.
    With your 7.5" wheel and 35mm offset your wheel will even more towards the outside then mine (about 8mm) which will cause more rubbing, however if your car is not lowered that will give you a little more clearance but I do not think enough.

You will need to make sure the hub hole is the correct size for the Mini (I think 56.1mm) or you will need hubcentric rings to get the correct hub size.

4. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I vote yes.

There is potential for rubbing in the rear at the arch like was stated, but tires vary a lot and Im not sure just how wide a 215 can be... sounds very doable as a 205/45 on my 17" 7.5's is slightly stretched... wouldnt want to stretch a 40 sidewall much, and usually a 40 is worlds shorter than its 45 series counterparts.

Id go for it

5. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    How can I determine this before installation?

PS - I am NOT lowered and am running stock, OEM suspension.

6. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Call Outmotoring and ask them if the hub hole size exactly fits the Mini or whether rings are required. If rings are required ask them if the rings are included with the wheels (they probably are if needed). If not, places such as Tire Rack have many ring sizes available. If Outmotoring say the hub hole requires rings and they do not supply the rings, ask Outmotoring what size is the hub hole. Then check with Tire Rack (Alex) to see if they have a ring that will work.

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I understand going for the look, but I'd think going to wheels this big on a Justa will make it feel sluggish and less responsive......

Try to get metal rings if you can, the plastic ones don't hold up all that well and aren't that accurate, and with wheels this big a good balance job will be important.

8. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    +1 on probably too big for the car.
    I have 18" on my 2006 MCS only because it came with 18". I much prefer the 17" that I had on my previous 2003 MCS.

9. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I was worried about that, too, but a fellow MINI driver here in my local group mounted the 18" paired with the low-profile rubber and said that the car felt amazingly stable in tight turns and had increased confidence overall. He's someone I trust, so I'm willing to give it a try. Plus, hey, I'm not an insane driver and I won't be putting this car on the track (barring the occasional friendly Auto-X), so...

Makes total sense... I actually DID ask Aaron at Outmotorng about the spacers/rings - he's at MOTD right now, so he's kinda busy, but I'm sure he'll get back to me soon. He said that these mount straight up to the Mark II MINI (without spacers/rings I assume), but I'll see what he says. He actually recommended I ask you guys here about the wheel arch fouling issue on the Mk.I. :)

10. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    i think theyll look great.

11. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I think you'll be fine.
    I have an 06 cabrio lowered quite a bit and WAS running 18''x7.5'' ASA's et 42mm
    with 215-35-18 with no problems.. Your tire will be alittle taller but your car is higher as well..
    check out my garage for some pics..
    current wheels are 17x7

12. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    #12 ImagoX, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
    Awesome - thanks so much!

Re: concentric rings:

I called the wheel manufacturer since I couldn't find a spec sheet for the 252s, and according to Alt, the 252's have a 73.1mm hub - that means I'll need a concentric ring adapter set that goes form 56.1mm (the size of the MINI's wheel hub) to 73.1mm (the size of the actual wheels' inner hub diameter) right?

The 35mm offset will not be affected (also right?) since the ring adapters will be concentric (step-shaped, I assume - sorry if I sound ig'nant, but I've never used them). I'm currently running stock brakes, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of upgrading to a Big Brake or other larger set in the future.

Thanks everyone for the continued help!

EDIT: Will these work do you think?

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/aluminum_hub_centric_rings.html

They say they're only 73mm (the wheel manufacturer said the wheel hub is 73.1mm). Inner diameter is also a bit larger - 57.1mm as opposed to 56.1mm (the size I'm told the MINI's wheel hub is). Is this "close enough", or should I look for something that matches precisely? I'd hate to damage my wheels or car over a $20 part.

13. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Matt, as you know I'm running this exact set-up without any rubbing and I'm lowered on NM springs. No spacers. JCW brakes. Driven hard this past weekend at the Dragon without any issues. FWIW

14. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    The wheels in your photos are different, unless I'm looking at the wrong photos. And your car's a Mk.II, hence my concern re: rubbing.

That said, Aaron emailed me and let me know that he has updated concentric rings that are perfectly sized for these wheels, and at only $20 that's what I call cheap peace of mind. I'm planning on ordering the rubber today and picking up the wheels this week. Amy will get my web-spokes so she can show off painted brake calipers (which I'll also do... sometime soon).

Lotsa projects this summer, but nothing too radical. I'm planning a few other changes to Dawn to complete the minor facelift.. More details to come soon. :)

-M

15. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Wheels and rubber purchased... Now the waiting begins. =)