R53 New 04 MCS owner

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by o2sys, May 21, 2019.

1. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone, recently purchased my 2004 MCS about a month ago and been lurking around here and there and finally decided to post to say hi.

I purchased this with 68k and has had majority of the maintenance done with proof of records and I’ve just been giving it some extra TLC mostly cleaning and replacing regularly worn items in the trims.

I own a E53 X5 so had some diagnostic and coding stuff so went ahead and coded the MINI especially with auto driver windows up.

Already retrofitted LCI headlights and taillights.

Removed the checkered mirror caps and next will be removing the vinyl off the roof.

Looking to upgrade the intake, exhaust and suspension soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! Very nice looking R53 and in the fastest color.

The general consensus is the Milltek is the best. It is a very nice exhaust.

https://www.detroittuned.com/milltek-exhaust-mk1/

I have a Stratmosphere on my R53 and like it. What I didn't like is it took a lot of bending of the hangers to make it hang right.

https://www.detroittuned.com/stratmosphere-r53-exhaust/

Cold air intake. I like the box on this one but would use a K&M filter. It lets a lot of cold air in because it opens up the wall by the vents under the windshield. You also get more supercharger noise and that is a very good thing.

https://www.detroittuned.com/ddmworks-mini-cooper-s-intake-gen-1/

If your mini doesn't have a smaller supercharger pulley, you should conceder getting a 15% pulley. its the best bang for the buck.

3. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,025 / 6 / -5
    Very sharp R53 and Welcome to Motoring Alliance !!

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Long live the R53 and welcome to MA

5. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Milltek seems to be the go to exhaust from everyone. Still listening to all the clips on YouTube until I can make up my mind.

Normally I like to mod where the parts are majority from the same manufacturer within that category but in the MINI scene it doesn't seem like there is 1 brand that does it all?

And seems like I'm little to late to the party where lots of parts are no longer made or available lol

6. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    That's a great condition for an r53. Congrats!

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Milltek exhaust are awesome on any R53. The sound even better and deeper after you drive a thousand miles and the exhaust carbon builds up in the piping.

I have had one on my car for 10 years and it’s awesome.

Oh and MINI does not have one brand that does it all when it comes to upgrades. I think this is a good thing as you get to pick the best from sources. No one really does everything for the MINI.

8. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Ok thanks.

Ive been looking at lowering springs and cant tell much of a difference in the drops of other members cars. Are 1” considered a mild drop on these cars?

Does mine look lowered or is it just sagging from age? Lol

[​IMG]

9. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! :Thumbsup:

Nice looking S! I had H&R lowering springs but the ride was really severe and I changed them out for TSW lowering springs. I have tracked my '06 S with them and the ride is smooth and the car still looks lowered. I'm very happy with them and they fit the bill for a 73 year old guy who just wants a sporty, fast, comfy ride.

10. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    What is the stock ride height supposed to measure?

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Sorry I can't help you there, maybe someone els here can. I have Eibach sport springs and Koni yellows on my R53. I like that I can adjust the ride on the Koni's they have been great. H&R is another good spring for the Mini.

12. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    would have been my first steps, too!

nice car. I am not a fan of lowering springs. Bought one of my Minis with such springs and they were horrible, one was broken (as in 2 pieces, clunk clunk on every pavement seam crossing), the other destroyed the front shock tower. Shocks to go with them are expensive, so in the end I decided to do it right and put coilovers on the car. Haven't had an issue since.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Car has RFT and the ride is on the harsh side and I'm sure the stock components are pretty tired at 68k.

There was a slight mushrooming on the right side which I banged it back to shape.

I'll upgrade other parts first and try better tires before I touch the suspension geometry wise.

It's just that it came with brand new Bridgestone Driveguards and a shame to throw them away.

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    If you can stand the ride with RFT no reason to replace them now. From what I understand the latest generation of RFT are much better than what originally came on a MINI.

As far as mushrooming goes I installed Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates on my R53. It kept my strut towers from mushrooming.

I'm also not a fan of lowered MINI's. I did lower mine & it made an already low car too low.

Welcome to M/A....

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    RFT are awesome to do burn outs on. Real tires will completely change how your feels when driving in a good way.

As for lowing springs the only ones I would consider are Swift Springs.
    https://www.greeneperformance.com/collections/mini-oem-performance-parts/products/swift-spec-r-lowering-springs-mini

The next step is quality coil-overs starting in the $1,700 range and up.
    https://www.greeneperformance.com/collections/mini-oem-performance-parts/products/bc-racing-coilovers-with-swift-springs-and-custom-revalve

Anything lower priced are complete crap for real driving and are just for that “Parking lot STANCE” crowd. A.k.a. Slammed cars that can’t go over small speed bumps.

16. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Ok milltek resonated or non-resonated? Some tough decisions.

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    +1 on what @fishmonger and @Dave.0 said about coi-overs. I have the Green performance coil-overs on my R58 they are great. Also if you are going to lower it I would get adjustable camber plats and adjustable rear trailing arms. Also you may want to get a rear sway bar.

As I said I like the Koni’s on my R58 but I agree coil-overs are better but do cost more.

I prefer having a resonator.

We are here to help spend your money

18. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Haha yeah for sure. This is really not my toy car already have another weekend toy/money pit lol

I just wanted a more fun/interesting daily driver but feel like I will going down a rabbit whole with this one again.

19. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I have a Milltek on my S. It had a resonator on it when I had it installed about 12 years ago and I LOVED the sound...especially the "burble". Unfortunately, this year the resonator went bad and I had it cut off. Now the exhaust just seems NOISY, kind of like one of those "ricers" and their cheapo beer can mufflers.
    The only redeeming thing is that the "burble" is still there as I let off the gas. The rest of the exhaust is still fine and it will stay on the car.

20. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that's what I'm afraid of sounding "ricey" after all it's a 4-banger.

Just ordered the Milltek Resonated version.

Anything worth replacing while the exhaust is down?