2nd Gen R56 Cooper S New Cylinder Head Cover fixes engine oil consumption?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by genik, Apr 6, 2013.

1. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2008 mini cooper S (R56 S) displeased with the engine oil consumption. A friend was telling me that in Germany there was a recall for minis prior to the facelift model in order to solve this oil burning issue. He claimed that the German recall was made to replace the existing Cylinder Head Cover, with the one that is used on the newer/facelift R56S and that this would solve the issue.
    So my questions are:
    1. has anyne heard abouthtis and is it true regarding the recall for the Cylinder Head Cover?
    2. is the oil burning issue solved?
    3. are there other suggestions regarding the oil burning issue that have worked?

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I believe what you are hearing....... MINI made changes to the valve cover in the section that traps and attempts to separate and collect the oil vapor in the PCV system. The earlier design allowed more oil vapor to reach the intake manifold where it is eventually consumed by the engine as part of the emission requirements. By catching more of these oily vapors in the new design valve cover, the oil is able to return back to the oil pan. If you do a search on real OEM you will find the old P/N being replaced by the newer design P/N. As a side note, these PCV passages cannot be serviced to clean out the maze of oil traps. When they get fowled with buildup, there is a pressure relief valve built into the center of the valve cover facing the firewall that opens with pressure. The first signs of a PCV clog is engine oil leaking out of this relief valve.... Time for a new valve cover....

Oh.... MINI does selective recalls.... What works in one country doesn't necessarily applies to all countries.... Just ask Canada....

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I thought everything MINI made lasted a lifetime like its trans fluid.

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yes, but they never said who's lifetime!

5. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Wow many thanx, looks like my question on this thread is gonna get covered and im very glad to say the least. Let me make a few more questions cause im no tech and some stuff i don't understand or wanna clarify :wink:
    1. My engine oil dip stick level, after 1700km goes from max to min, do you think by making this change to the valve cover (install the newer one) will help me in this issue?
    2. Any idea how many liters of oil are consumed when level goes from max to min?
    3. If this issue was effecting all minis, how could there be 2008 minis like mine that claimed not to burn any oil at all?
    4. Can you please show me where that "pressure relief valve" is, so i can have a look in my car to see if there is any engine oil leaking from there as you say? :wink:

6. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Woah woah woah, am I reading your last post correctly? You are losing a full quart of oil after a hair over 1000 miles? I would venture to say it's going somewhere else. I don't see a fancy new valve cover meant to aid a shitty PCV design solving that kind of oil consumption! On a typical R56, you should normally see about 1/4-1/3 quart lost every 3000 miles(4828km). To lose 3-4 times that in 1/3 of the mileage, something more concerning has got to be going on there.

7. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Before taking any measures regarding this i wanna do a few things first.
    Make sure how many oil im loosing, and how do i do that? What is the best way to find out how much oil is lost?

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Most measure by using the dipstick.

9. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    How much oil is there between the min and max dipstick measure?

10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The standard for most every car built is either 1 quart or 1 liter... pretty close in volume so functionally the same.
    One tip...
    some motors seem to "like" the oil level at a specific volume...some may burn off oil till hits the 1/2 level, then stay pretty constant. That is why the reccomendation in most manuals is to add oil when it hit, or approaches the ADD line/dot/mark, as opposed to mataining it at the FULL mark with small additions.

11. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    is it known for the R56S how much is needed to go from min to max level of the dipstick though?