New, from Mexico, and need HELP with a brake light issue

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by AldousBasel, Dec 5, 2012.

1. AldousBasel

AldousBasel New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    hello everybody, i'm new in MA, i own a RED MINI COOPER PEPPER 2006, i bought it on may, i dont speak english very well, so i hope you understand my bad writing :) i live in Villahermosa, Tabasco, a city un the southeast of Mexico, placed near the gulf of mexico, here we started in June our own club named MINI SURESTE something like SOUTHEAST MINI

By the way, i have a problem with my brake lights, suddenly they turn on an dont turn off, i have replaced the switch but that doesent work, any ideas to fix that problem

SALUDOS

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA. Not sure how to fix the brake light but someone here will

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:Welcome to MA. Your English is better than most of us Gringos can speak.:lol::lol::lol: As above, some one with knowledge of brake lights should be along soon.:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!

5. AldousBasel

AldousBasel New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you both Jason and MCS02!!

6. AldousBasel

AldousBasel New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Mr Jim

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance :)

8. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Congratulations on starting up a club, well done!

Are you saying your brake lights are on all the time as long as the key is turned in the ignition? Do all of the other lights (in and out) work properly? Any other electrical issues?

9. AldousBasel

AldousBasel New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thats right, they still on just the esy you say, all other lights are working good, i have replaced the pedal switch but doesent change nothing

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site.

11. cooperSml

cooperSml New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Engineer
    Living on South
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    The mini has 2 controller the ECM (Engine Control Module) and the General Module (or Body Control Module). The General Module (BC1) that is identified as component A1 controls practically everything on the Mini.

Practically the switch you were talking about that is installed on pedal it is just a sensor that goes into the Body control module in a circuit with a Transistor that controls the voltage on the lamp that makes it dim (more or less light).

When you remove the key from ignition, removing from the car are the brake lights still on?

The Body Control Module (General Module) is located behind right footwell trim.

Make one inspection of the Body Control Module in terms of humidity, what could be causing your problem is leaking water from the windshield or the door panel, because the BCM is on the bottom if there is a leak going inside it can accumulating there.

Make one inspection there. If you detect excessive humidity and decide to remove the Body Control Module to clean and dry, don't forget to remove battery cable to avoid any circuit to be energized.

On Today's car this type of problems are not easy anymore because we have a black box doing everything and it is not just a simple circuit with a switch and light.

I hope this has provided you some direction.

12. AldousBasel

AldousBasel New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks cooperSml, the ligths turn off when removing the key or turning off the car, the body control is under the glovebox? Or under the steering wheel? How can i recognize it?

13. cooperSml

cooperSml New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Engineer
    Living on South
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    It is a long piece of plastic on the bottom in between the carpet and the rubber (weather stripping). On that behind on the biggest part almost under glove box on right is where the body control module is located.

I have installed and FES pro sift light and on my R53 and to reach the speed wire signal and you need to remove the foot well on the passenger side.

IT IS A TRICK JOB. Feel like a lost things will go wrong.

But you can have one idea by looking this document.
    http://www.fes-auto.com/upload/doc/4/TrackCoach%20ProShift%20User%20Guide.pdf
    Just look for "Step 4 Tap into the speed signal (optional)" and that is the foot well that I am talking about.

Again I recommend you have the electrical diagrams and components. If you don't have in hand a Bentley manual or such service manual I recommend you to take a look at to search for all the diagrams you need.

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/r50/index.htm

Note: This web site relies in the SVG viewer that is a plug in that was made by Adobe, it is discontinued but is still work, so to view the diagrams you need to install the plug in, otherwise when you go at bmw-planet web site and select a diagram you will not be able to see anything.

To get the SVG viewer use the following link. The only plug n available is for Win 98/XP and last version was SVG 3.03. I am using windows Vista and it did work.
    SVG Developer Center | Adobe Developer Connection

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

15. cooperSml

cooperSml New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Engineer
    Living on South
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Actually a correction looks like they have updated
    BMW Online Wiring Diagram System (WDS) by BMW-Planet.com

You no longer need the SVG viewer. The previous link was in error use this one and enjoy.

16. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the FUN!!!

17. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I changed the title for you. Hopefully some additional technically savvy members will stop by with advice. :fingerscrossed:

18. AldousBasel

AldousBasel New Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Steve, i hope so

19. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Google indicates the problem with flaky brake lights on R50-R53 is not rare.

cooperSml is pointing in a good direction (water leak makes damage). If the BCM is wet then drying it out may be all that is required for the correction. You would still need to find the leak and get it sealed to prevent recurrence.

This thread with diode failure example is a helpful thread so is worth pursuing. The diode is a low cost part replacement, but working with wire bundles and looks like you have to go into the footwell ....I note that same thread discusses BCM water damage as well... Post #88 has a diode pic

Hope this helps

20. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to m/a