Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires New guy first post,Help!!!

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Louiseven, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Louiseven

Louiseven New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello I am new here as I just discovered this forum a few days ago.

I read the brake tutorial and thought I'd give it shot changing my 2007 (R56) Mini Cooper's front brake pads. After I have changed the pads on my BMW E38 as well my old Dodge Stratus too. I would never ever consider myself an expert or call my self a mechanic. Newbie all the way!

So here is the problem. I changed the front brake pads and brake wear sensor. At no time did I ever open any bleed lines. I did remove the cap from the master cylinder. After the pads were replaced I put the cap back onto the master cylinder and started the Mini. I expected the pedal to be soft at first and go to the floor,and it did. However, it will not return to firm. I have pumped and pumped yet it still slowly travels to the floor. Please advise!!! Thank you in advance.

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Check that you put the pads in correctly. Inside and outside.

3. Louiseven

Louiseven New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not sure what you mean by inside and outside.
    However, I did double check the pads and they are installed correctly.

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    #4 goaljnky, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
    I think we had the same problem when I was doing my brake conversion. Someone (I am not saying who) put the outside pad on the inside and we couldn't get any pedal pressure. I think the OEM pads might be marked L and R.

5. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    On the R56 there is a difference between the inboard pads and the outboard ones. The inboard pads have more of a circular shape in the center of the backing plate.

I am not sure exactly what the issue might be, but I would first start by going over the re-assembly. I would suspect that something is not assembled correctly. Maybe you could snap a couple of pictures of the brakes and we might be able to help a little bit more.

6. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Def Chk the assembly again, been there done that and have the emotional scars to show for it. :mad2:

You also don't mention having to compress the brake cylinder, did you fail to mention?, get lucky?(you must have if you got the calipers back on the rotors)

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    If the pedal pumped up and now slowly sinks to the floor, it sounds to me like a bad master cylinder.....

8. Louiseven

Louiseven New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "inside-outside" okay I understand now. Yes the pads are on correctly. I plan to take it all apart again today a triple check the assembly. Yes I did compress the piston back to fit the new pads. Took the cap off of the Master cylinder. I put the cap back on once all was back together. Started the MINI pedal went to the floor as expected. However it will not return to firm. Once again I did NOT open any of the lines or bleed screws. So I am curious as to how air entered the system if that is indeed the case. Thank you all so much for your suggestions and advice.

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Have you started the car and drove it yet?

10. Louiseven

Louiseven New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I have and it does stop! (good thing). In drive and reverse the pressure and pedal feel is better and it does not go all the way to the floor. In park at idle it holds then slowly sinks to the floor. At release it come back up. I pulled it all apart again today to triple check the assembly and all was correct. I also checked for leaks and there are none I could see. I am going to attempt to bleed them tomorrow.

11. Louiseven

Louiseven New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Update

Very happy to say all is well and the MINI has proper braking.

Brakes just needed to be bled.