Question New Powerflex Control Arm Bushings for under $45? Is this real?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by HillbillyChili, Jun 6, 2018.

1. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Trying to find the best deal on some Powerflex Control Arm Bushings since my wheels flop around like a fish on a deck.

Came across these for $43
    https://www.pgamoonline.top/powerflex-pff5101-front-control-arm-wishbone-rear-bushings-mini-cooper-gen-1-p-3706.html

Wondering if you think this is some sort of scam website, I can't find any reviews on it on Google. I hate to be the first one over the top but that is a really good deal if it is for real.

Appreciate thoughts, if you guys have faith in it I will order them and report back here.

Thanks,
    HC

2. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    First off it says front control arm wishbone rear bushings in the title and the 2 bushings in question are not the same. The site doesn't tell you a whole lot and when you read the 'About Us' page there's poor punctuation (a red flag in my book) and they use phrases like "products are of high quality and made of authentic materials" which tells me they're not authentic. They also state that there's 24/7 customer service but they do not list a contact number, likely due to them being in China. Some things are too good to be true, and this may be one of those things. Just get em from one of our site sponsors and don't gamble.

3. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    High quality and authentic sound so good though haha! The more I have looked at the site the more I don't think it is a valid site. Images are all messed up and descriptions don't always fit as you mentioned. I appreciate the feedback, I was going too far down the google rabbit hole trying to find a good deal. I'll check out what the sponsors have to offer. Give some support to the guys we can trust.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
  5. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
  6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That site is crap.

On the main page in the bottom right is a picture of the old R53 called the “mule” from Helix’s old shop in Philly. I have been to the old shop many times and have seen the car back in the day.

You can even see the old faded yellow logo on the door behind the car.

FFFE152B-69F2-4512-87C7-F5E6AEE5665B.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  7. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Go with Detroit or Outmotoring. FYI - Out does provide automatic discount of 5% for MA members. I need to check with Chad (Detroit) to see if he does.

8. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I don't buy from vendors who can't even embed a photo in the correct aspect ratio. I want my bushings to be round.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Just looked at Detroit's website on this.. Pressing in bushings can be a pain to do correctly unless you have a good press. This offering from them is extremely reasonable and allows you to replace in one day without having the down time of shipping etc.

Get these bushings pre-pressed into the bracket here at the shop! Just select it from the pull downs. Labor is only $20 plus shipping weight, & a $100 REFUNDABLE core when un-damaged brackets are returned within 2 weeks. IN STOCK ready to ship!

10. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I pressed mine out and put the new poly parts in with a harbor freight press, arguably NOT a good press. Pressing them in was far easier than getting the old crap out. Highly recommend the saws-all approach for the removal - the harbor freight press was strained enough to almost snap (12 tons?), plus, I broke that typical bushing removal tool that lets you do it on the car. I suppose not all OEM bushings are easily convinced to leave the housing.

If you're already dropping the subframe and take the whole units out, the installation of the new parts is the least of your problems. getting control arms into the bushings is another experience that will let you use all your mechanical genius. Mine needed some help with multiple ratcheting straps to get into the right position so all the ball joints lined up with the subframe.

The bushings were a good excuse to buy a press and it has come in handy with various other tasks since. I'd be lying if I said I can tell a difference in handling to stock. Won't be doing Powerflex on my daily driver when I drop the subframe for bushing work later this year.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @fishmonger is right getting the control arm out can be fun. The first one I did the pry bar slipped and smashed my pinkie. My daughter drove me to get stitched up. Good doctor, did the stitches right there in the hall. Asked if I was done working on the car I said no I have to put it back together. She then gave me a shot, worried about infection.....its just grease.

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I got mine from Helix. Blue haired Mikey installed them at Fontana for me. He used a combination of special Brit/German cuss words to help with the install. Excellent work!! :)

13. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    "Verdammte bushing scheisse"?