Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S New pulley installed, loud @ 6,000rpm, normal?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Johnny9, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Johnny9

Johnny9 New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    maintenance mechanic
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Just had an Alta 15% pulley, Gates #060535 (1379mm) belt and Alta adjustable tensioner installed at a reputable performance shop and on my way home as soon as I hit 6,000rpm it let out a very loud squeal/screech that sustained through 7000rpm--difficult to describe sounds with text, but I would say a loud high pitched sound.

Everything is fine and sounds normal until I hit what seems to be the magic number of 6k. I have no clue if it's the belt or the supercharger making the noise, but it's loud and sudden. I can't imagine the belt slipping or an alignment issue because it doesn't make any strange sound at start up, idle or through the 1,500 to 5900rpm range.

Any help or info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Its hard to say for sure but I would say the belt is slipping. When my tensioner went bad it didn't slip till the higher RPM. The Higher the RPM the more boost you are developing. So if its going to slip it will do it at the higher RPM.
    I don't know if I would have gone with the adjustable tensioner. I will let someone that has used one jump in on that one. But I bet thats the problem

3. Johnny9

Johnny9 New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    maintenance mechanic
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    A slipping belt sounds logical, now that I think about it. I bought the adjustable tensioner stop because I thought it would be a better option. The tensioner spring is what keeps the belt tight correct? I wonder if the Alta stop is extended too far and making the belt a bit slack... Dunno how the thing works really, so I don't know if it's even possible to over extend it.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well it's ALTA so it could be anything. I would take it back to whoever installed your stuff and have them double check the work they did.

Also take off the POS ATLA tensioner and buy the OEM one off of Amazon for $69.00

Amazon.com: Gates 38404 Belt Tensioner: Automotive

It always amazes me that people still think ALTA can design a very important part for our car better the highly educated team of BMW/MINI Engineers.:mad2:

5. Johnny9

Johnny9 New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    maintenance mechanic
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    BTW, my MCS only has 15k on it, I hope my tensioner wouldn't be bad.

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Whatever ALTA part you put on your car is the problem. Sorry but they make stuff that is pure crap.

What year is your car? It's a first gen right?

7. Johnny9

Johnny9 New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    maintenance mechanic
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    There's nothing wrong with my tensioner, I bought an adjustable tensioner stop to keep that brilliantly designed tensioner from crashing down in the event of a broken belt.

8. Johnny9

Johnny9 New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    maintenance mechanic
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I have an '06.
    I didn't read any negative reviews of the Alta pulley, if I had I would have purchased another brand.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'd guess you belt is slipping. Take it back to the place you paid the money to & have them make it right.

10. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I advise changing the belt as well. Anytime you smoke one, it gets glazed and doesn't grip as well. I know this is a fact for industrial power transmission belts, and I suspect it holds equally true for automotive belts.

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    15k is low milage for an 06 congrats on that. :Thumbsup:

The damper goes bad in the tensioner and you have to buy the whole tensioner to replace the little damper. The dealership charges over $200.00 for the same part that I posted from Amazon. I run the Amazon tensioner and have for while and have had no issues with it.

The problem is with with the ALTA tensioner adjuster not the pulley. All pulleys are the same they just differ in sizes.

I guess you don't know but ALTA makes junk and the web motto for ALTA is : "ALTA it almost fits and works"

12. Johnny9

Johnny9 New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    maintenance mechanic
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it seems a slipping belt is the general consensus. I'll give them a call tomorrow to get this sorted out.

Thanks for the fast replies and help everyone, much appreciated.

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Just remember that Dave has a serious problem with Alta, most have had no problems with any of their products.

Yea, the belt is slipping. The stock tensioner is a good design and you can match it up with a tensioner stop if it should ever fail saving the crank pulley from potential damage.

14. Johnny9

Johnny9 New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    maintenance mechanic
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That was like a G.I. Joe lesson... "and knowing is half the battle."
    I had no idea that ALTA made junk. I'm new to the Mini thing.
    As for my car... I was actually shopping for a diesel pickup truck and that little thing caught my eye. After test driving it I was very interested and the 13,800 miles on the odo sold it. All I heard for 2 weeks was, "I thought you were buying a truck?"

Now I'm just trying to get it set up the way I want it. Thanks for the ALTA = junk tip, probably saved me some money.

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I have to agree with Dave.O. Get the tensioner from Amazon. I have a ALTA 17% pulley on my 02 its been ok. I got it before I know much about the different vendors. I ordered the pulley along with some other parts. One of the other parts was slightly damaged. When I called them I was told it was not their problem. That was the end of me and ALTA.

Just my 02.

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    And I have had no issues at all with their stuff. I would encourage Johnny9 not to totally disregard Alta.

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sorry for the G.I. Joe lession but I really hate to see people waste hard earned money on gimmick crap that does not work.

I have an ALTA stubby antenna and even that does not work. :lol: but at least I don't listen to the radio and have been using an iPod only for the last 5 years.

18. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Then it works just fine..........:wink:

19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    My ALTA stubby antenna works fine & I listen to my radio. Does that mean it's broken??? :ihih:

20. Johnny9

Johnny9 New Member

Sep 8, 2013
    maintenance mechanic
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    No need to bash or defend Alta, just let it go. LOL
    BTW, indeed it was a slipping belt. I've heard screeching belts before, but nothing like that