New to Columbus

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by Zapski, Jan 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Hello all, I've just moved from Cincinnati up to Cbus, and was wondering if the MoMs had any advice on a couple subjects.

I'm looking for a decent brushless car wash in either the north central, or Gahanna area. Since it's winter and I get home after dark, I'm thinking I have to cave and maybe take Mico somewhere. Weekends are not going to be good for me to wash my car this month, as I have to run back down to Cinci in a van to continue my moving process (my job relocation was sudden, so the hauling is a continuing work).

Also, being from Cinci, I'm really accustomed to twisty hilly roads being a normal thing. 5Mile, 8Mile, OH 52, KY 8 (one of the best overall driving roads in three states, imo) and KY 9 are my usual after work running grounds, not to mention long runs through Indian Hill and Madeira as well as all sorts of other nice tiwsties in northern Kentucky.

Columbus is more... well... flat and grid like. And that's difficult for a lifelong Seven Hiller and ridgerunner like me to adjust to. I've found a couple of ravines in Clintonville, but I think the locals are getting a little terrified of me by now. Are there any good hilly twisties nearby without heading to Southeast Ohio? I'm just looking for something that's reasonably near to town.

I do intend to come to the Saturday meetings soon, but not until February at the earliest.

Thanks!

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Hi there! No recommendation on a car wash. I go tho the spray it yourself place down the street from me. It does a decent enough job for me this time of year. In warm weather I'm a do it yourself wash guy.

You are right Cowtown is in the flatland, but fun roads are close. Stop by at the next donut munch & I'll take you on some nice roads. :donut1:

Welcome to town....

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to Columbus.

Being an apartment dweller in the city I've sorta needed to seek out some of the car wash places. So far I've found the one on the Northeast corner of Stelzer and Agler to be a decent mix of cost and cleanliness. Drive in real slow, the spinning spray on the sides lasts a good while, most people just drive right by that on the entry.

Avoid at all costs the one on the Northwest corner of W 5th and Olentangy River Road. I swear every time I tried it the car came out dirtier then it went in.

There is also one on N Waggoner just north of where it crosses E Broad St. It's tucked in the woods at little. That one is OK, did a passable job. It's good for knocking the dirt off off but not much more.

Fun Roads...

315 from 670 to about Akerman is kind fun for highway, some good curves near campus.

Compared to Dallas, Columbus is like being in mountain range!

4. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I use the car wash off of N. Waggoner and it does a good job of getting the winter grime off.

Welcome to C-bus! Maybe we should do a bologna sandwich run after the Feb. breakfast?

5. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to Columbus!! Sorry I cannot be any help with the car wash subject as I have never used one. I have this eternal fear of using recycled winter salt water...:D

6. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips all. :) I'd normally wash Mico by hand, but this silly lack of sunlight thing (whose idea was that?!?!) Coupled with the need to borrow a van every nearly weekend this month to drive back to Cinci and finish moving means that there are no really good opportunities to do it right. And she looked so miserable all crusted with salt and grime from our 1/8th inch of snow. ;)

No, that wasn't a dig against Cbus, in Cinci it's 2 inches of salt for every 1/4 inch of snow, if they're being conservative and trying to save on salt.

I'm really bummed that I'm in Cinci this weekend with the van when the weather is so great and perfect for a long cruise. Life ain't just, I tells ya.

7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Hope you are driving a MINIvan.... :D

8. IMGRFX

IMGRFX Club Coordinator

Oct 18, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +241 / 0 / -0
    So I guess I need to watch out in the ravines around here...:biggrin5: I enjoy 315 north to Delaware. It's not really curvy but it's close by. The other river roads are nice too -- Riverside Dr.

I'm driving a beige SUV this winter and everyone keeps whipping round me. Annoying but I'll get them this Spring.

9. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    So I'm coming up on my first out of warranty service, as ye olde indicator is saying about 500 miles to the next one.

Where should I take it around here? Is the dealer OK, or is there another cheaper certified shop that everyone likes?

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    What service are you do for? The local dealer is good, but rather spendy....

11. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Welcome to Columbus,OH from Sherman, Texas.:Thumbsup:

Jason

12. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    If you are referring to the one by Broad, they don't heat the water! I turned mine into a popsicle last winter! Was a huge PITA lol.

I found that the Captain Carwash on N. Hamilton in Gahanna towards New Albany was nice. I have always had good luck with them. I used to live at Morse and Hamilton in an apartment over there. There is a really good DIY car wash just south of that intersection as well. I always used to just wash my Mini in my apartment garage with a Nomad 18V pressure washer and warm water lol. Best investment I ever made.

As for a good shop, check out North End Wrench. It is more downtown, but they are highly recommended.