2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Newbie with an electrical question...

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Carly105, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Carly105

Carly105 New Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have an '08 Cooper S that seems to be having electrical issues. I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight to my problem with the high beams. I have had the bulbs changed twice this year, and rarely have not had to use the high beams , but the indicator comes on. Sometimes the right one works, sometimes the left one and sometimes neither. I am afraid it may be something in the stalk, but I hope not! Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

2. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I had that problem with the fog lights on my '07, but never the headlights. It was due to corrosion causing a bad electrical connection. Try unplugging them and checking the connectors. I suppose a bad switch in the stalk could be the culprit too. Also any mice nibbling on the wires?

3. Carly105

Carly105 New Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Connectors look good, but the mice thing is a possibility...thank you!

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community

You'll notice I've moved this thread into the 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S area.

5. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    We have had cars come in to our shop with rodent infestations and they will chew the most random wires and cause major problems. Check the air box , check the cabin filter.
    Please wear a dust mask and gloves , mice poo is not good for you.
    Hope you find the solution to your problem.

6. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Welcome to MA.:Thumbsup:

Jason

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site. :Thumbsup:

8. Carly105

Carly105 New Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks all for the welcomes and suggestions! The best part about yesterday was when I left work, the left headlight didn't work at all! Just had the bulbs changed in June or July for cryin' out loud...from what I could see, the wires looked good, so, I am going to have to bite the bullet and bring her in...

9. Carly105

Carly105 New Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, the electricals were just fine. No rodents having their way with the wires. Went to one of our electrical guru's here and they cleaned the connections, etc., said they were working...but when I picked it up, the right high beam was still out. They wanted to put in a whole new connection. I said I'd think about it...so I went to a neighborhood shop. They switched bulbs to a "better brand" and guess what?? They are working perfectly! Plain silliness, if you ask me...but it's fixed for now!