Next Generation MINI Hatch to Take “Big Design Leapâ€

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Adrian van Hooydonk, head of BMW Group design, recently told Autocar.co.uk that the next generation of the MINI hatch will be a “bigger design leap than the last one.” Mr. Hooydonk goes on to add that Anders Warming, the new head of MINI design, will be all but starting over with the new line of iconic little hatchbacks, but adds “we have to balance that against the fact that it is the brand’s core model, like the 3, 5 and 7-series rolled into one.”

I can’t say this is too much of a shock. We’ll be two generations and nearly 15 years removed from Frank Stephenson’s revolution of the classic car in the R50. And while I love many things about the R56 (power, comfort, refinement, etc.), I’ve always felt that many of its design details were needlessly derivative of the first generation MINI — change for change’s sake. Not bad per say, just fussed with in a way that I’ve never liked. With the car evolving significantly in this next generation (3-cylinder engines, more variants), it makes sense for the design language of the MINI to get an overhaul. Add to that new leadership at MINI design and significant change is inevitable.

But what will that change look like? What is sacred ground? How can the MINI evolve and still be iconically MINI? In their posting, Autocar goes on to cite sources saying that MINI is working on a “new interior design language to replace the theme of the large centrally mounted speedometer.”

I was flabbergasted when I read this. Speaking just for myself, I really hope this is just a rumor. Perhaps it’s just a design exercise and not their actual intention. Yet, I can’t hide my alarm. The center speedo is one of the few truly unique design details in the MINI. No other car out there shares the gauges with the cabin like the MINI does. Rooflines, headlight shapes, bonnet bulges — these can all be pretty fluid in my mind. MINI has shown us over and over in their concept cars how much flexibility there is in the brand’s character. But can a MINI be a MINI without the center speedo? Does it just become yet another clever european interior? Say it ain’t so, Anders. Say it ain’t so.

Source - MotoringFile

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Guess this is the proverbial rock and a hard place... Do you leave the car with no significant changes to make the purest happy at the risk of the model becoming stagnant or ........ Oh if we only had that crystal ball.. :)

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Why change much at all? The original Mini stayed pretty much the same for forty years.

Dave

4. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    True but sales peaked many years ago and dwindled almost every subsequent year till the end....

Don't get me wrong, I love my R53 and feel that most changes that have been made to it, have been mostly for change sake...

5. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I'd be a fan if they put REAL gauges back in the MINI. If they keep the S models boosted as well a boost gauge would be nice too.

I've driven both R53s an R56s. I have nothing bad to say about an R53. They are awesome. I can see why folks are motivated to keep them. However, I actually prefer my R56 (aside from the gauge issue). I think it was a good impovement, though I gather I'm in the minority there.

I look forward to the re-fresh of the MINI and to see how they tackle the style/icoography issues.

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    This might not be a bad thing. Perhaps the 3 Banger will let them go a tad more compact.

Jim

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    This is a very worrying development. Maybe folks will run to snap up the last R56 MINI's before the new improved ones come out. Just like folks ran to get R53 MINI's when the R56 was near. Hell it might get me in one of them too. ;)

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Kinda like the original Coke switching to new Coke that flopped, that then became the original Coke, errr Classic Coke.

I'm mostly intrigued with the 1.5L three cylinder. Hmmm.... Fewer parts, similar power, variable valve timing.... Better MPG. I wonder if they'll develop a tri-scroll turbo?

Just hope they don't flub up the MINI design like what happened over at BMW with that Bangle guy.

10. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Wonder if they'll address the death rattle, carbon build up or timing chain stretch with the "new" MINI. Maybe they'll change the looks enough that it'll look as poorly as the current engine lasts.

11. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Hasn't the Porsche 911 essentially remain unchanged since 1912? Why mess with a good thing

12. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Dale, don't forget the clutch ;)

13. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Uh?.... about the only things unchanged from the 1912 car and today's, would be that both have a rear engine and a Porsche badge... :)

14. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #14 Jason Montague, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    1.Carbon build up-check(Sea Foam or water)
    2.timing chain stretch-check(mine replaced by Mini already)
    3.death rattle?-please refresh my memory.

1. clutch problem?- again please refresh my memory(I hate being the 2% who never gets the word)
    (Addendum- I just read the thread on clutch problems so now I'm in the 98% who have the word)

Jason

15. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Guys we're what 5yrs into the R56 and were still looking down our noses at it?

Both cars have had their share of issues, you want reliable you can go to a Honda dealer

R56 flat out outperforms the R53 in every way you want to empirically measure

It's a cool car and I can see why you enjoy it but to still look at a R56 with disdain just is getting old.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion but it's getting tiring