NM Torque Arm Bushing the 1st Mod

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Way Motor Works, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    With the R55, R56, R57 MINI having so much different than the previous model I am often asked what mod should be done first. Well here is the cheap and easy answer. The NM Torque Arm Bushing.
    [​IMG]

This simple Polyurethane bushing simply slides into the factory lower engine mount. Why do we do this? Because the factory mount on the R56 MINI is a simple rubber bushing with 2 large air gaps on it. This bushing allows the engine to rock back and forth on accel and deceleration. The engine rocking contributes to a few different faults on the R56. With the engine rocking it creates a slight delay in acceleration. The engine rock also pulls on the shift cables making shifting hard, or even causing missed shifts. Some customers have reported the torque steer reduced from the axles not moving with the engine. If you have one please post your thoughts, or if you have questions.

2. chengchiro

chengchiro New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    NM torque bushing

I have the NM torque bushing installed on my 09 JCW, it greatly improves in shifting, clutch uptake, and less rubber band effect of the drive trainduring acceleration and deceleration.

No noticeable increased NVH. It is a BIG BANG for the buck! Get IT...

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Love mine. 1st: Torque arm bushing. 2nd: Sprint Booster. :Thumbsup:

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Way......
    How do the NM inserts compare (besides price) to the one piece BSH unit? I was leaning towards the street version of the BSH but was concerned about NVH with the small end not having some give since it's designed without a bushing?

Duh.....
    Looks like the BSH unit for the R56 does have a bushing at the small end. Got confused with the BSH unit for the earlier MINI's that doesn't have the bushing.

OK, still same question. How do the two compare performance wise?

5. Way Motor Works

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    The NM bushing will be alot less NVH. Performance wise I think the NM performs great. It's not going to be as solid as the BSH mount, but that's the trade off you have to give to not have NVH.

6. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    WOW....
    Clicking the keyboard early this morning eh Way?
    Thanks for the quick return.
    So NM alot less NVH than even the street version of the BSH? The track version must really be something else?

I'll wait for a few more member responses and then you can expect an order from me.

Oh, by the way, I think it's very clever the way you throw out open discussion on your MINI performance parts, getting non-bias feedback from the members.:Thumbsup:

7. Way Motor Works

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Honestly I've never driven an R56 with the Race BSH mount. I just know how hard the street version was.

I'm not trying to be clever. I'm trying to get customers to put their opinions in writing so my other customers can learn more about a product and it will be "Real" info. I do always try to give honest advise, but some customers will always be weary of what I say because I am trying to sell something.

yes it is early for me:frown5:

8. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Naw..... I meant clever in a good, not a sneaky way.

Clever that you are getting a dialogue going.:D

9. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    What secures the insert? Tolerance fit? Or is it sandwiched when you install it?

I'm just curious if there should be any concern of them falling out, especially with the torque arm being so low and prone to bottoming out on lowered cars.

I've been meaning to get a set, but I've always been curious about this.

10. Way Motor Works

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Yes the sandwich fit holds it in place perfect.

I have yet to see anyone bottom out a MINI at the torque arm. But Rally your car would def have the best chance :D

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Way, thanks for the thread on the N/M torque arm bushing, just placed my order.:D

12. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Is this an easy DIY mod? :popcorn:

13. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    So are these for R53's & R56's? I know Powerflex already made these for the R53, how are they different or better? And I belive the BSH mounts only have a bushing on the big end, they are solid on the small end.

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    When I was under the MINI installing the under panels, I checked out the torque bracket. Basically two bolts holding it on. Looks like you remove them drop the two inserts in place and re-install. I'm not positive if both bolts need to be removed. Didn't look too complicated. I'm sure a lift would make it easier.

15. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    If you go to the NM Engineering site, they have a download with instructions.:Thumbsup:

[​IMG]

16. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I read someplace that you can just take out one bolt, rotate it, put the insert in and bolt it back up. Don't forget to torque it. You will notice a difference for sure. The small amount of vibration is not bad. I just pretend I have a big cam. :lol:

Jim

17. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Installed the NM Engine Torque Arm Insert I got from WMW. Real easy install following the instructions included with the kit. From the time I backed the MINI up on my ramp (made from 6"x6" wood posts cut with a slope on one end) to being done took all of 20 minutes. Everything went together with no issues. :D

18. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Soooooooo, how was the test drive???

Jim

19. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Nothing noticeable on the way home.

But when I was on the Dragon last week I did hear a couple of time the MAP sensor / air box smacking my Upper strut bar which was a little disconcerting. I built my bar purposely close to the engine because I wanted the cross bar as straight as possible for rigidity, it actually fits in the small valley behind the sensor and the front of the air filter box.

Before I added the inserts I could rock the engine on the mounts fairly easily and after the inserts were in I couldn't get the same rocking, so there is an improvement from that standpoint. I couldn't tell if there was an increase of NVH, I've got more than enough NVH with my run flat tires now thank you.

20. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    :confused5:

Mark