1st Gen R53 Cooper S Not starting battery is new?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Newbie6, May 16, 2015.

1. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys my roommate borrowed my car and she called and said car isn't starting. She jumped it once then drove it and turned it off now won't start. She replaced the battery and now still won't start. It don't crank at all and just seems like if you tried to start it without pushing the clutch in. So was wondering if it could be a clutch switch issue if so where is it and can it be an easy fix for her? Starter seems fine when she did start it, just don't know what it could be and can't see it for myself since she drove it to North Carolina and can't get there to help? Also have searched this forum and read similar issue but it didn't seem anyone had a resolved solution?

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Clutch switch is a flat panel about 3/4" wide and 3" long, snaps into a bracket on the side of the clutch master cylinder connected to the top end of the clutch pedal. Sometimes this pops out of the mount. You can look under the dash and see if there is a cable connected to the clutch master, or whether this sensor is loose or dangling.

3. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    If it is bad or unplugged would this cause it not to turn over at all? Common issue to have happen?

4. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Has happened to other folks.

I've never heard of one going "bad" - but the sensor can pop out of the mount, and then you will get the symptoms you're describing.

5. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    But if it was the clutch switch, wouldn't it also have prevented jump starting?

6. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Well I don't know what's going on but now she let it sit for a little while and now with the new battery it starts so idk what's going on just hope she can get the car back home and I can give it a good once over

7. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I missed that part

8. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    So anything else it could be besides checking the battery connections? And the starter solenoid?

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Check for loose connections / corroded connections..... especially under the plastic cover connection in front of the firewall in the engine compartment... And give the wiring a once over back by the battery...

10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Could be a failed starter....but then you could push start it....turn the car to "on" transmission to neutral, push the car to a couple mpg, put it in gear...not great to do, but works in a pinch...
    Old trick there to get one or two starts from it is to WACK the starter with a hammer....if there is a dead spot in the windings, I can josile it just enough to let you start...does the same for the solenoid/Bendix...but in THAT case, you could HEAR it buzz but not engage the flywheel....

11. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    One more consideration....
    A bad key can cause a no start...it has an antithft chip...

12. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Well she had no problems starting it today with the new battery so when I get a chance I'm gonna look at everything and just see if anything looks strange, I'm just gonna see what happens when I look the car over.