2nd Gen R56 Cooper Oddity in my 2011 MC Headlights

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Steve A, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Steve A

Steve A New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lots of rain, then the grounds people at my apartment complex blew grass clippings all over the car. I hosed it down at my apartment's car wash. Later today, i noticed what looked like tiny bubbles or droplets in the interior clear housing on the silver trim under the first polycarbonate (?) outer shell of the headlamps Both the same..not a large area. What is this? Hoping it will dry out. I'm used to the my old MCS with it's weird headlamps built into the bonnet. Sorry for typos. I'm tired and crashing,,,Off to bed

2. Steve A

Steve A New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm heading over to MINI in a half hour. it could very well be a minor defect in the chrome plating, which i don't believe I'd want replaced. I have 4 years to decide!:crazy:

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like some water got past the bulb cover gasket seals and maybe condensed on the interior of the headlight housing. You might check to make sure the bulb covers are fully shut and the plastic clips are engaged.
    If moisture is trapped inside the headlight it won't escape and you could start having corrosion problems with you bulb connections. Consider opening the housing on a warm day when no rain is expected, and just let the heat bake the moisture out....:D

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    A picture of this would be quite helpful in helping to see what the issue may be.