Suspension Brakes 1st Gen OEM vs JCW vs FSD Suspension

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by west7, Mar 25, 2015.

1. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I'm have approximately 110K miles on the oem struts/shocks on my 2006 r53. As I'm sure you all can guess, the ride quality and handling have significantly degraded. I have replaced the ball joints and control arm bushings all within the last 2 years and have decided its time to replace the struts/shocks. I do not want to lower it significantly as i need most of the ground clearance for the roads I frequent. That being said i would like to maintain the handling it once had, maybe dial out a little of the under-steer and if possible improve the ride quality as I use this vehicle fo family road trips. I am currently considering OEM struts, KONI FSD's, or the JCW suspension retrofit kit with springs.

Any thought, opinions, experience would be greatly appreciated.

2. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    If your having to buy it all new anyway, why by OEM, I'd buy the FSD's. Everybody I know that has had them and or those that I have read about likes them.. On the used side you may be able to find some good used Coilovers at a decent price..

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    If you're not doing a spring change, I'd do the FSDs. If you do choose to lower it a bit, there a myriad of choices.

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    FSD's are fine for what you describe, at stock ride height. They fail if lowered.

None of the things you mention will appreciably impact understeer. You need a stiffer rear swaybar, or (even better) front camber plates to address understeer.

Stiffer swaybar adds harshness to the ride. Camber plates do not.

Camber plates reduce understeer by adding front traction when cornering. Stiffer swaybar reduces understeer by making the rear have less traction...

5. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the info! It sounds like FSD's are probably the way to go. Will I loose any performance? Will I loose the feel/feedback I get from the steering wheel?

It just so happens I'm planning on replacing the strut bushings...BlimeyCabrio, would you recommend IE fixed camber plates then instead of a 19mm rear swaybar? Will it increase suspension wear and/or front tire wear? Any other recommendations?

6. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Also, how's the turn in with the FSD's? What about the nose dive on braking and rise on accel? Does it corner pretty flat? Should I cut down the factory bump stops if I went with the FSD's?

7. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I ran FSD's and IE fixed plates for a few years. It was a good combo.

Personally, I like BOTH the camber plates and swaybar. Camber plates are a better mod, really. More people do sway bar first because it's relatively easy. But if you're doing struts anyway, IMO you should ALWAYS install camber plates on a MINI.

Camber plates will not increase suspension wear. If you corner moderately aggressively, they'll actually improve tire wear. If you DON'T corner aggressively, you'd have no reason to complain about understeer. :cornut:

8. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    If you do camber plates, you will need to go to a suspension shop....and get a good alignment...NOT JUST TO A CHAIN TO HAVE ONE DONE....you are going to need a more custom setup than the stock numbers, or you will chew up tires....
    Many folks just toss the plates on, and drive....can tear up tires ..
    Fsd's are nice for a daily driver, family car, etc...still reasonably sporty, decent ride...don't have camber plates, but did go with a smaller than typical "bigger" rear sway bar, a 19, a mild gain, so I could get camber plates, but honestly didn't need them on a all weather family car that I can have fun in....cambervplates can be used to fix/prevent mushrooming of the strut towers.....so they replace std's....so a bit if a cost savings if you have them...you can sell them for a few $$.

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Stay OEM and save $ for better option then JCW or FSD's.

My $.02

10. Fastlane

Fastlane Member

May 4, 2009
    Teacher
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Hello from a fellow Indy resident! What side of town are you on?

I just installed FSD's on my cabrio (65k miles) last week and am very pleased with how the car rides now. So much smoother on bumpy roads now and handles just as well, if not better than before. As stated above, you have to keep stock spring height if you use them. My struts were pretty much shot, so I'm sure yours are too by a long shot. Anything you replace them with will feel like an improvement. I found the FSD's for about $540 shipped, so that's why I went ahead and opted for them vs something more oem.

I installed a 19mm RSB while I was doing the struts and had already put on front fixed camber plates when I first got the car. Not had much time to test it yet, but so far so good.

Good luck!

11. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    For the stock height and springs go with the FSDs
    Replacing both and a little lower get the JCW kit from eminiparts
    I've done both the rear sway bar and fixed camber plates. It's made a good improvement.

12. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks all for all the great info!

How much will the IE fixed plated raise the front end?

In regards to a special alignment? If the camber plates are fixed and the majority of the stock suspension fixed what will a specialty/race shop offer alignment wise that a standard alignment shop wouldn't offer? What alignment spec would I have changed so I wouldn't eat tires?

Cost wise I can get FSD's for the same money as oem..... What would you consider a better option?

Well hello to a fellow Hoosier as well. I live on the east side, hang on the north side, and work in Indy! How about you? How much did the FSD's affect the handling? Did it become loose or floaty? How did you all like the IE plates? Any odd tire wear? Did it hone in the steering feedback/response?

Did the FSD's lessen the steering feedback/response?

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    You may see a 1/4 difference in the front with IE plates. I never noticed it.

If you are having the car aligned, always use a good shop with a knowledgeable person doing the work. Just because a place has an alignment rack doesn't mean they have someone working there that knows how to use it or what the heck they are doing.

No idea of the cost difference between oem & FSD. I'd get the FSD if I was deciding between the two.

14. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The OEM struts/shocks are/were made by Delphi....mine were noticeably bad after about 40,000 from new....so I would not get a new set...but ANYTHING you buy will fell much better by now...
    Koni struts have a LIFETIME warrenty to the ORGIONAL buyer....
    Alignment issue is you car will not match OEM specs after camber plates...so a decent shop will know how to "invent" new batch of specs to meet your needs...
    It sounds like many of the concerns you have are more related to tires than suspension....turn in, etc...

15. AM_AUTOS

AM_AUTOS New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    UK
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    AP Coilovers - Better ride and lower

Perfect if your not tracking your MINI

16. Fastlane

Fastlane Member

May 4, 2009
    Teacher
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I just moved from the east side (Emerson heights...near Irvington) after living over there for 13 yrs. now we live near castleton off of allisonville rd. I work in Westfield.

I have nothing but good things to say about the koni's. No negatives in regards to handling. They handle great and feel predictable...and the bumps in the road are tamed. Very pleased! No floaty feeling at all.

I installed the ie plates after buying the car because it came with a cracked strut mount...figured I would just upgrade at that point. After install, your front toe will be out and it shouldn't be any problem getting any decent alignment shop to get the toe back in spec. I have put roughly 5k miles on since the plates went on and had tires installed about the same time. No unusual wear. I just rotated the tires for the first time and all looked good. If anything, the camber in the front helps wear on the front as these cars tend to wear the outer edge on the fronts first and the inner edge on the backs. Wear was very similar front to back this time (I've had two other MINIs before this one).

The front lift is so small with ie plates that it is not noticeable imo.

If you are considering a swaybar and ie plates, you might try the plates first and see how you like the handling before deciding on the swaybar. Honestly, I was pretty happy with just the camber plates prior to the swaybar. The plates make a noticeable difference. I had a swaybar on my last MINI, so decided to go ahead and put one on this car while the struts were off the car. I've only pushed the car in corners a few times since putting the shocks and bar on last week and the car is very alive....maybe a bit spicy for my taste even. I had one instance the other day (driving along Bash rd back from 96th street) where I was pushing it in a corner just to get a feel for all the new bits and the rear came loose. It wasn't anything dangerous, but it took me by surprise. I just need to get a feel for the new handling now. It made me second guess the swaybar. Not sure if plates AND a swaybar is necessary for my needs (street only). We'll see. I pulled the old swaybar out of the trash just in case. :wink:

17. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    IE plates & rear swaybar are the sweet spot for me. Driving technique plays a big part in this. If you like to lift in a corner (not a good idea) yes the laws of physics come into play. I think anyone can acclimate to the improved handling. Start with the rear bar set soft & as you get used to things firm it up.

18. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I can live with a 1/4". Much more wouldn't look right. It sounds like FSD's are going to be my best bet. The lifetime warranty seems reasonably appealing as well.
    I appreciate the recommendations for the AP coilovers but will likely stick with factory springs for the purpose my MINI serves.

I Moved from the Fishers/Fortville area a few years ago and now live in the Greenfield area. It looks like I'll prob put on FSD's and IE plates and see how I like it. Then I Can add a larger rear sway bar if I feel it's necessary. Bash road has a couple nice tight bends for testing new modifications.
    If and when I decide to add a larger rear sway bar I'll make sure to start on the softest setting and go from there.

19. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Adding negative camber makes a MINI go toe in. It will handle like a pig until you get it aligned. Then you will smile. :D

20. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I plan to get it aligned within a day or so of the installation, but appreciate the info so I don't freak out because or poor handling during the test drive!

In regard to the installation of the ie fixed plates, will my factory springs still clear the strut towers?( it looks like there's not much clearance as is and adding more neg camber will just move the strut/spring asm closer..)