Ohio Texting Ban for Drivers Starts Friday

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by Nathan, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    COLUMBUS — People who text or fiddle with other hand-held electronic devices while driving anywhere in Ohio will be breaking the law beginning Friday.

That’s when Ohio’s statewide texting ban for drivers goes into effect, but police and state troopers will issue just warnings — instead of $150 tickets — for the first six months.

Teen drivers must especially take heed: While texting behind the wheel will be a secondary offense for adults — meaning they have to be pulled over for speeding or some other offense before they can get a ticket for texting — it will be a primary offense for those 18 and under, so they can be more easily ticketed.

The law, which was passed by the state legislature this year, restricts juvenile drivers from using cellphones, iPods, laptops or other electronic devices. They can’t make calls or browse the Web while driving.

“We believe the biggest impact will be in the public awareness that this is now against the law,†said Jay McDonald, president of the Ohio Fraternal Order of Police, which supported the measure. “It’s going to be a law that’s going to be hard to enforce, but we’re hoping people will now realize it’s against the law, and the deterrent that comes with that will lead to a decrease in the people who do text and drive.â€

Ohio becomes the 39th state in the country to ban texting while driving, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association. Many Ohio cities already have their own texting-while-driving bans, and the state law won’t trump those ordinances if they are tougher.

The measure does allow all drivers to text and use their cellphones in cases of an emergency and when the vehicle is stopped and off the road. Other exemptions include using a hand-held device for navigational purposes. Hands-free devices are allowed, but they can’t be manipulated while driving. Adults can still talk on the telephone while driving, but juveniles can’t.

Ebony Johnson, 35, of Cincinnati, said she was aware that the law was going into effect and thinks it’s a good one.

“I don’t text while I am driving,†the mother of seven said. “I have babies, and you never can be sure what other drivers are going to do. You have to stay alert all the time.â€

The law makes texting while driving a misdemeanor, with possible fines of $150. Minors can be fined $150 for the first offense and have their license suspended for 60 days. Repeat teen offenders can be fined $300 and have their license taken away for a year.

The Ohio FOP would have preferred that texting be a primary offense for all drivers — not just teens — because it would have been easier to enforce. Still, the group likes it because it gives officers an avenue to investigate whether texting has played a role in a traffic accident.

State Rep. Rex Damschroder, one of the sponsors of the bill, said he plans to introduce legislation in the future that makes texting while driving a primary offense for adults, too, not just juveniles.

Mary Allen, 38, of Cincinnati, said she thinks the same restrictions should apply to adults.

“Adults can make the same mistakes as kids, if they are texting and driving,†she said.

Source - The Marion Star | Marion news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Marion, Ohio | marionstar.com

2. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    Does that apply to cops because I see them texting just as much as everyone else.

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I would say NO, because it is illegal to talk on your cell phone while driving in MD, but I see State Troopers doing it all the time.

Jim

4. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    Figures. Need to start giving them tickets!

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Nice law & I hope it works, but I feel it will be one of many that are ignored by most people. Yep police included.

6. LIL PIGG

LIL PIGG Club Coordinator

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    how is a cop going to judge if you are 19 or 21? just wondering?

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Well.....they will surely know that I'm neither :)

8. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Just as an FYI the real goal of this law is not to write tickets, BUT to give the state a way to educate the public about the issue. The same method was used with DUI and has been very effective.

Personally I like the concept of putting sensors in the steering wheels that know if your hands are on the wheel. A few manufacturers are developing systems that turn the radio off if your hnds are off the wheel for longer than a few seconds. Getting people to use proper form when driving would make our roads a lot safer.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    So the radio is going to shut off when I pick my nose...oh no!

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    So education has kept drunks off the roads? Color me skeptical. :-/

11. naucrx

naucrx New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have mixed feelings about this law. Generally speaking texting and driving is bad, but there are times when it's OK to thumb type a response to someone on your phone from behind the wheel. IMO this law is just another example of big brother stepping in to decide what's best for us. Texting while driving can be distracting as hell, but so can screaming children in the back seat. Why not pass a law to ban that?

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ Good point on the screaming children.....

I remember a quote from someone.... It went something like this....

Children in the back seat cause accidents....
    Accidents in the back seat cause minivans.....

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Texting while driving should never be allowed. It is to distracting regardless of whether or not you can "blind" text with your thumb. On that note, I strongly feel that they should simply make distracted driving an offense if an accident or reckless driving is involved. Just make the offense worse if you are found to have been distracted regardless if it is from cell phone use, changing the radio station, or the screaming kids. Make those that cause the problems be responsible for their actions.

14. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    We had our cell phone ban a few months ago (hands free devices are OK). I think they just shoot you here if you're caught texting though.

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Wish they'd make cell phones a hands free law here too.

16. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Voice recognition is becoming actually useful, so it's going to be less of an issue as time goes on. Siri on the iPhone and similar Android functions do pretty well for texting these days.

My guess is that people will actually have to learn how to use their phones, and buy new ones if their current ones don't support voice recognition.

Technology has already solved this problem. Time for people to catch up.

17. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    The steering wheels allow for a couple seconds of one handed driving. They did research on how long it takes the typical person to take a drink from a cup in a car. Depending on how much digging you have to do youmay be fine or ou might be better off consulting a doctor :)

Personally I think if you cause an accident with injuries while talking or texting your punishment should be a lifetime ban on driving or cell phone ownership you get to pick. Nothing and I mean nothing pisses me off more than seeing a person leave their lane while on the cell phone when there is a passenger in the car. Just give them the stupid phone to have the conversation about curing cancer, because obviously you must be talking about cures for life threatening desieases if you are willing to risk the lives of the people in the cars next to you to tell someone something at that very moment.

18. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I was out and about today and people are driving faster on the freeway. It's cause no one is texting .... Damn...

19. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    i hope they can enforce it better than they do out here... i feel it should be a primary offense because most who are busy texting actually slow down because they are thinking abut the text and not on driving

20. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Not a fan of slow drivers yapping on phones, I just pass them. What really burns me are the ones who wander about in & out of there lanes with no clue they are causing problems for everyone around them. Many poor drivers out there, add a phone & they do not improve.

I think a steering wheel that has to have 2 hands on for the car to work is the ultimate in stupid nanny's. Some people have to drive one handed, what are they to do take a bus?