1st Gen R53 Cooper S Oil catch can subject...again.

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by narvarr, Mar 22, 2015.

1. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Rowlett, Tx (Dallas Metro)
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    A couple months ago, Astro was in the shop for a clutch job. While he was there, the dealership came up with a LONG and expensive list of repair items that needed attention. All of which I declined because they were items that I could do myself. One of them was the valve cover gasket...which was pretty easy. I must say for 91k on the clock, it looks pretty clean.
    [​IMG]
    But, anyway as I took the IC off, I noticed quite a bit of oil in the intake. I know it's normal to have some oil residue, but I was surprised to see it pudding up in the IC boots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is this amount normal? At what point would an oil catch can be necessary?

2. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    When was the last time you cleaned it? I had a coating in mine at 35k but not the puddling. I did a cheap Harbor Freight cc to help. It's the air moisture separator for a compressor. You just have to flip the little valve at the base.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I just clean my intercooler out with carb cleaner every once in a while. But I'm sure a catch can would help.

4. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Rowlett, Tx (Dallas Metro)
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    This was the first time I've had the IC off. I bought the car in June with just under 79k miles. I originally had planned to install a CC, but after reading some posts about not really needing one for the R53, I scrapped the Idea. Now, I'm seriously looking into doing it this weekend.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I go back and forth on the CC for the R53. I believe it helps some, not much. In the old days I would run my crank case vent hose into an oil can. That way my intake would stay clean. So filtering out oil myst is good it just does not make a big difference.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    It all depends on the car. Some Gen 1's have a lot of oil blowby. I have one and I get about 1/4 cup +/- at my semi-yearly oil change. Would rather empty an oil can that clean the IC.

See my gallery for my catch can.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    R53's do not need catch cans, it's a waste of money.

End of story.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Some do,some don't.......

End of the complete story!

9. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
  10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    And one more thought....
    The oil that you find in the intake track has been DOING GOOD...:aureola::idea:
    That big air compressor.... Known as a SUPERCHARGER.... The oil floating around is lubing the external parts...the vanes/lobes the have very little clearance on the inside of its case....
    Just like a air compressor that uses oil.....(not the oil-less ones that use a carbon compressor that wears a bit to lube itself)......
    Guess if you do lots of short trips a OCC in a COOL location will help get some moisture out....

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^ That's what my Meth system is for. :devil:

12. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    breaking bad dave!

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Actually......no. The SC is designed so that there is no need for any internal lubrication and in fact the addition of any kind of oil will simply collect on the interior and cause build up problems.

14. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I saw it wasn't critically important that's why I spent $5 instead of $100 on it.

15. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    More time has been wasted talking about, and more money has been spent on catch cans than any other product in all of cardom. Catch cans are the figment of Forum imaginations the world over. 1) How did it start? 2) Why is it popular? 3) Has anybody ever proven their usefulness/uselessness? A brief history:

1) Club racers who convert street motors to race motors remove the PCV system: the system that burns oil vapors instead of releasing them to the atmosphere. Sometimes they hose the vapors into a jar or old plastic oil can to catch the condensed oil instead of creating a mess at the valve cover. The total parts cost used is $2: oil can, hose, some zip ties. Done.

2) Catch cans for street cars are popular for several reasons: they're found on race cars; they are really easy to make and sell for vendors (source an ebay can with two hose barbs, some hose, some clamps, and *poof*, you have created your own, race-proven performance part!); people buy them, install them, and don't have any measurable results, positive or negative. They're happy.

3) Here's the intrigue: nobody will ever prove or disprove the efficacy of the much ballyhooed OCC. Conjecture says that they catch oil that is in your PCV system. Sometimes they do catch oil, as well as water vapors. Conjecture says that less oil in parts like your intercooler will help it perform better. Yeah, maybe, but you could never measure that performance increase. There's still oil in your intake tract.

You'll notice that we don't offer an OCC on the Helix site. That's because they don't offer any measurable benefit to the performance or longevity of the car. If you like yours, good on you! I support it. It's fun to tinker with cars. If people ask me to install one, I install it. If they ask me whether they should buy one, I say: 'save your money for something give you a better result'.

Eric

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I don't think anyone here has ever actually claimed a performance improvement, simply a cleaner, less maintenance causing mod. I like the fact that it keeps my IC and intake cleaner.

17. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    ^Fair enough, Scott^

But I must respectfully submit this question: if it actually does keep it a little cleaner, what's the benfit?

18. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Me not having to pull the IC to clean out the gunk I know is in there. :D Does this really have to be done, probably not. But I don't like to think of it in there and it might even affect the IC performance........:smilewinkgrin:

19. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Heck if you ever run low on oil you can pour it back in the crankcase. :cool:

20. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    It's a good idea to pull the i/c and clean it anyway, pulled my daughter's and (while my WIFE was cleaning it - great gal I married long ago!) we found it was acting as an air filter to filter out the particles of supercharger coating that were flaking off... thankfully, was replacing the supercharger at the time! Now if anyone needs the old s/c for a core, the gearboxes feel fine (didn't take them apart but they spin smooth with no play) and the waterpump drive has very little - to - no play. Don't know what cores go for...

But that seems like the "right" amount of oil, less than what I see but I clean mine about every 20k, just spray carb cleaner through until most of the oily residue isn't there anymore.