Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Oil Catch Cans let me know what you think?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by gjn25, May 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 gjn25, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
    After speaking with several Mini techs at at a few different dealers/shops. and a tons of research online I finally made up my mind to get a oil catch can in my Mini. With all my looking around on every forum I could find I ran in to a local place here in palm beach that has been making catch cans for dodge's Hemi and other cars. So I contacted them about making catch can set up for us the Mini owners that looks better the welded sheet metal, can be customized to order and most of all really works. Well I'm happy to say we got something and it WORKS!!!

They custom made some fittings so we could tap into the PCV hose on the top left of the engine. Where the car needs it most of all as told to me by each and every Mini tech at 3 dealers and my tuning shop witch all they do is BMW and Mini work. here are some pics for you all to see. and the oil in the can is only after 300 miles.

They are also in the works on a dual can system that will tap into the more commonly used side on the intake.

Cans will be available in a few different colors
    Colors will include
    Blue
    Red
    Black
    Purple
    Polished “Looks like Chrome

All Cans are American made on CNC machines from 6061 Billet aluminum.
    These have a two chambered top to help catch the excess oil.

FYI I'm not the vendor and I make no money off of this I just helped develop it for us Mini owners and i m only wanting to know what you all think

here is the link [ame="http://www.photobucket.com/miniman25"]Pictures by MINIMAN25 - Photobucket[/ame]
    here is a vid of how can opens for checking oil level and draining [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSxV9D98CCU[/ame]

2. Michigan Mini

Michigan Mini New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Health Care
    Lathrup Village, MI
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I took a look at their web site. Looks like a nice piece. Thanks for doing the leg work on this.

Motor On!
    Chris

3. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah they are good people and make some really nice stuff and at $135 with everything including real PCV hose (for oil) they are doing it right for us.

4. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Very nice but you will still have issues with nasty stuff filling up your intercooler and turbo.

5. Vernon29RW

Vernon29RW New Member

May 22, 2009
    Pat-Med, NY
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Why do you say that? The whole point of installing one of these is to prevent that from happening. Please enlighten us

Steve

6. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    because of the connections on that can it isn't doing anything for the line going from the right side of the valve cover directly into the intake line (pre turbo) You either need 2 cans or you need to block off one of the lines. The BSH dual boost tap blocks of the one line top left and pushes everything through the line on the right thus needing only one catch can.
    Ypu can't see it that much in this picture but, I have the BSH block off for the back left line and the fumes are forced into my BSH catch can on the right side.
    [​IMG]

7. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Using the OP's picture I circled the 2 problem areas.
    [​IMG]

8. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    they are making a dual can system so there will be no capping off one side this is just one option if people only wanted to do a single can this is the most important side (as told to me by all the Mini techs at the dealers I spoke with) when this all started I did not like the idea of having to cap off one side and so when I started to talk to the guys that made this can we chose to make a dual can system I will post up picks the second that I have it all installed.

9. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to see where the second can is going to mount. Also how is this can drained? I know the BSH one you can use a syringe to draw out the crud from an opening in the top.

10. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just got off the phone with one of the techs that I contacted to figure all this out and he explained to me that capping off that side creates uneven crank case pressure thats why the 2011s had to have a redesign so it would all come out one side they did not just cap it off. Simply put this is not good for longevity of the motor. these lill cars truly need 2 catch cans and if you are only going to run one can better to run it off of the passenger side its where most of the problems occur do to oil getting through. I know there are many arguments that can be had of this but this is just an option that we came up with for those who are not comfortable with restricting flow in anyway specially cars running higher boost.

11. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thats the nice part the cans unscrew from below it's very ease to do and you just pore it out, could not be easer. And as for the second can they are working on a custom bracket that will hold the 2 cans right next to each other we have already done all the measuring and there is plenty of space there for it

12. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I'd worry about the weight of 2 cans mounted to the same clip (where the alarm mounts). That's just a thin piece of plastic. With 2 can's attached that would be quite heavy, IMHO.

13. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    If it simply unscrews, what locking mechanism is there to prevent it from accidentally unscrewing due to road vibration?

14. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it is a fine thread and that has oil resistant O-ring at the top it dose not loosen up at all this company has been making catch cans for over 4-5 years for Hemi motors and a bunch of other American muscle cars they sell over 300 cans a month, there design works very well the only thing they had to really design is the custom fitting for the PCV line on the passenger side and the bracket to hold the catch cans.

I'm loving the questions keep them coming thank you all :arf:

15. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this is still in the works so we will have to see what they come up with. They are a billet company and can CNC some really sweet stuff we will have to wait and see what they come up with.

check out there web site and take a look at what they do
    Billet Technology

16. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I'm not concerned about the quality of the product, looks good. It's more the logistics of how to mount them both inside engine bay area

17. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I got you, well hopefully soon they will have a prototype for testing and I will let you know ASAP what they come up with :Thumbsup:

again thanks for all your questions let me know if you have anymore

18. cop1406

cop1406 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Oink Oink
    Sonora, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Following this with some interest. I have the BSH with the plug and there is a running debate as to whether there is an issue plugging up the passenger side intake.

19. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not saying BSH is bad or wrong and everyone I know that has one loves it but I just don't like the idea of blocking off the top side thats why I talk to this company to do what they are doing. and after talking to all the techs i spoke with I figured why not just figure out a way to do 2 nice cans instead. again I m not against what BSH this is just another option for those of us that are not sure thats the best way to go is all

20. gjn25

gjn25 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Commercial Photographer
    Palm Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thank you to all for taking the time to check this out :Thumbsup: