1st Gen R53 Cooper S Oil Leak?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by patchelect, Mar 31, 2014.

Tags:
  1. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently still working in electric motors sales a
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My car has only been in my possession since late October of '13. In that time I've put over 3K on her with no problems. The other day I noticed a wet spot under the RF wheel. It is oil and appears to be dripping from somewhere in the front of the engine. There's no visible loss of oil, and the car only has 38K on the clock. The weather hasn't been good enough to get under the car, too much rain. Anyone have ideas as to what I might be looking at here? Looking down from the top I can see dampness, but cannot say that I looked that closely prior to noticing the spots on my driveway.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    What color is it? Oil or Blueish because it could be a coolant leak.

An easy way to check is use a white paper towel and blot the spot off the ground. See if you can tell the color. Take a little tiny taste and if it's sweat its coolant. You will also be able to smell if it's oil.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I wouldn't be tasting any drip samples unless they are beer. :beer

Dave is right about the color of those fluids & the sweet smell of antifreeze. Since you are still under warranty I'd be visiting them with a request to please fix the leak.

Good luck, let us know what it turns out to be.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have also been known to mouth siphon Meth, :crazy: but that's a different story for another time.

5. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Actually I can't tell a thing because it was raining all weekend (4" according to NOAA) and today the rain forecast became snow. 3-5" as of 11AM, so it'll be a while before I can do a scientific sampling!

I was just wondering what might be a possible source so I can angst a little more!

And, no, I'm not under warranty. The car is an '05 and the only warranty I had was 90 days that expired at the end of January.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'd guess it is the thermostat housing or possible a PS line. Check the PS tank & top up is needed with the correct Pentosin CHF11s fluid.

These are cars & cars leak weep & seep fluid sometimes. As long as you are checking things & aren't having to keep adding fluids at an alarming rate I would not worry too very much. The key is keep opening the hood & check things.

7. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    If it is really over towards the front right wheel, I'd be guessing washer fluid or maybe power steering. On the R50/53, the two tubes that go from the PS fluid tank to the PS pump and rack (down low on the subframe) are notorious for leaking. Sometimes just re-crimping the connectors will fix it. I had them use normal hose clamps when I had them replaced, so I could check and tighten 'em myself the next time (they require a band crimping tool... fast for the factory, but one more specialty tool I don't wanna buy). I also had both of the high/low pressure lines to the PS pump replaced due to leaks (around 80k miles).

Almost every 5-6 year old R53 I've looked at had a small amount of oil dripping from the crank sensor hole. It is directly behind the radiator fan on the engine block. Oil from there usually drips down, then is blown back across the bottom of the oil pan. There is a replaceable o-ring that seals the hole and usually wears itself flat in a few years. A $13 part and an hour or so of wrenching... I wrote a how-to article that is in the library section of this site.

Crank Sensor Seal Replacement - Library

8. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Another possible candidate on an '05 in that location is the motor mount.

There should be easily visible evidence from above if the diaphragm in the mount has popped (i.e., discoloration of the frame).

9. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Tomorrow is supposed to be near 50 and sunny. Todays blizzard has pretty much melted away so I expect to make some time and crawl around poking and looking at things. I will report back with my findings.

10. TexasChiliS

TexasChiliS Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    If it is thick and very sticky, my bet is upper motor mount mount. Look right under mount, it will be on frame right under it.

11. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Thick oil does suggest the damper.

Here's a photo of one from a '06 MCS (should be the same as yours)

[​IMG]

The black sludge along the white frame rail is from the oil that is contained inside of the metal can. It tends to run down the frame rail (painted white in this photo with black crap in all of the edges and creases) under the damper or straight down from the damper to a spot just inside and forward of the passenger side front wheel.

If you pull the front passenger wheel off and remove the plastic wheel well liner, you will get this view if you lay on your back and look up... you can see all of the black sludge from the damper's oil leaking down...

[​IMG]

I did a how-to on fixing this a few years back. I augmented my transmission mount as well, but there are instructions included on how to skip that step and just replace the engine mount.

Powerflex Transmission Mount Bushing Install w/ Upper Engine Damper Replacement - Library

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Time for a new motor mount. Check with our sponsors. I know Detroit Tuned has a better one. I'm sure some of the others do to

13. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    #13 patchelect, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    Well the sun came out and the temps are mid 50's so looking under that car made sense. I opened the hood to get a good view from the top. Power of suggestion made me think it may have been wet down low under the tensioner. I got on my back and tried to see under the car. Everything looked dry. I ran my hand all over the place, pulling it out periodically to see if it was wet with oil. Nothing. I felt all over and cannot find anything that was a source of a drip or that even looked like it HAD been dripping. I suppose it is possible that the dripped area I saw in my driveway was from something else but I can't imagine what it may have been, EXCEPT (he said as he had a revelation!!) the trash men had come on Friday and there may have been something oily that was taken that dripped on the driveway in that very spot I normally park the car!! Not saying it was, but looking into the possibility.

Any changes will be reported back. In the meantime thanks to everyone who offered assistance. :beer