2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Oil turned black right away, please advise!

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by kumankan, Jul 23, 2013.

1. kumankan

kumankan New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    #1 kumankan, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    Hi guys,

Long story short, the engine oil in my 09 cooper s was low but not critical within norms ( above lower mark on dipstick). I added oil but after checking, the oil level was above the max line by half the distance between the lower and the max level marks. So I drove to homedepot (12 miles round trip at speed not greater than 35 m/h keeping the engine below 3k rpm) to get a siphon. When I pulled out the dipstick, my oil was black. My oil has never been black, always clear and was clear before adding oil. the oil level is back to normal after siphoning. I have 3k on the oil. No engine issues that I can see or hear.

1- why did it turn black?
    2- What's going on?
    3- is it ok to drive it like that or should I get an oil change ASAP?
    4- should I be worried about something help?
    5- should I get it to a mechanic?
    6- let's say, I decide to change the oil myself, what wrenches, filter, and bolt/washer do I need and any advise.

Thanks guys!

2. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    You're getting way ahead of yourself.

I have a feeling you misread the dipstick the first time. As you may or may not know, the dipstick tube is prone to getting residual oil up the tube so it's very easy to get a false reading. There are a lot of discussions about this already. If you google "mini cooper r56 dipstick reading" you'll find a lot of images and discussions. You basically have to place the dipstick down the tube 80% of the way, take it out, wipe it off, and repeat a handful of times. Then you pluge in all the way down and remove for an accurate reading. After you read up on this take another reading to determine the true level of oil.

Regarding the color, how many miles do you have on the oil? It's perfectly normal for the oil to darken over a short period of time. However, it should not be solid black.

3. kumankan

kumankan New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for you reply.

You are probably right about the reading I started with on the dipstick. The oil is not totally black but it's way darker than it was before adding oil. The oil was transparent, literally and it has 3k. It used to be hard to see the oil on the dipstick because it was so literally transparent. But now because it got darker (within 12 miles), it's so easy.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    The oil being a little above max should not be a problem. You just don't want the oil level to be so high that the crank shaft is hitting it when it spins. If the oil became the same color as what was in the engine then don't worry. If you are worried change the oil. Its cheep insurance.
    I dont mean to state the obvious but always use the same oil that is in the engine when adding.

5. kumankan

kumankan New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply!

The oil level was considerably above the max line (still on the red plastic part of the dipstick). After siphoning it's back to normal. The color is way darker than what was in the engine and I always use the exact same oil (brand/grade/type) as the one already in the engine.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to guess that the higher oil level reached a dirty spot in the engine and picked up some stuff.

Why not change it soon to flush it all out.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Most definitely what Nathan said!

8. kumankan

kumankan New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Going to do so as I'm writing this! I will report back. Thanks guys!

9. countryboyshane

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    If you're using the right synthetic oil like Royal Purple, AMSOil, or Mobil 1...etc., you still have a safe 4000 miles left on your oil. Yes, cheap insurance to change it, but sh1t synthetic oil is not cheap whatever brand you choose and on top of that you're not doing it yourself so tack on the labor charge :eek6: Just something to think about man. I'd say check the level and if it's good, stop worrying.

10. kumankan

kumankan New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thank you all for your responses! I got the oil and filter changed ($95). The funny thing is that they added exactly 4.5 Qt and the oil level is now at the very end of the red plastic on the dipstick. Way above the max mark. :confused5::shocked: Just don't get it!

I will definitely change it myself next time.

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Congrats on just checking your oil. Most people these days can't find the second dipstick, you know beside the one behind the wheel.:lol:

12. countryboyshane

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    That level is permissible. Heck I've put 5 qts in mine from day one just for some extra level in the pan during hard track driving. No problems at all. I would not ever put more than 5 qts in.

13. kumankan

kumankan New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    LOL! Thanks!

14. kumankan

kumankan New Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Ratings: