1st Gen R53 Cooper S "One Ball" exhaust Mod today:)

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by MiniHockey, Feb 4, 2011.

1. MiniHockey

MiniHockey New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #1 MiniHockey, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
    Today I went down and had the One Ball exhaust mod done to my 06 MCS.

On the 1st gen MCS if you look at the rear of the car it looks like there are 2 mufflers that run into dual tips. Wrong..... The exhaust comes from the engine and then loops through the resinator(muffler looking thing) on the passanger rear side and then over to the drivers side muffler and out through the tips.
    "One Ball" mod is simple cutting out the resinator on the right rear side and going straight from the engine into the muffler and out. It is a very simple mod that most any muffler shop can do.

I think it it well worth the cost. I paid 50.00

Sound is about 20% loader then stock. Is a little tinny sounding and you do get a lot more decel popping But I would recomend this to any pre07 MCS owner.
    It may not give you any hp gain but louder is faster right:D
    I am going try and get some sound clips this weekend if anyone is interested.

2. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Love the one ball sound for sure.

3. MiniHockey

MiniHockey New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well the wife has given the thumbs up to this mod:)
    Now the SC pulley kit.

4. tmors424

tmors424 New Member

May 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Glad you pulled the trigger and went for it. I've got one on my 05 MCS and like it alot. It's not quite as efficent as a cat back but, alot less expensive. It will give you about 3 more hp while at the same time shed about 22 lbs. Doller for doller, it's one of the best mods you ca do to an R53 IMO. A pully and CAI will be a good complement. Once thats done you'll want to upgrade you ignition with a hotter coil, wires, and colder plugs for better fuel burn. An engine needs fuel, air, and spark. All of those mods affect those principals. Then maybe a computer tune and so on and so on...

5. MiniKar

MiniKar Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Nevada
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know if the " One Ball " mod helps to improve the Fuel mileage now that some of the restriction has been removed from the exhaust system ?

I don't really care about the noise increase but why spend the $ if the end result is a
    tiny HP gain and alittle more exhaust note . . . . . . . . . .

6. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have never seen anyone mention a increase in mileage due to this mod. If you really don't care about the sound, I suppose this mod would be a waste of time and money. I loved the sound my car made before I got the one-ball, but I wanted more. After 4 1/2 years and 90K (50K since the one-ball - more love) I still love it, and still often tap the accelerator during deceleration to coax a little more burble out of it. I think the auditory experience of driving a Mini is a huge part of the attraction for me.

7. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Why wouldn't it?...less weight.

8. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    The one-ball is an excellent cheap mod. It is generally considered the best bang for buck exhaust mod possible.

New plug wires and a coil have no performance/efficiency value unless they are replacing something that is in poor condition. The OEM coil and wires have been successfully used on very high hp cars, like 100hp over stock. If you want a different color, then fine, just do not expect to gain/release any performance with 'better' wires and a hot coil.

If you put on a 15% redux pulley, then do get the colder plugs.

9. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I went one-ball on my MINI's.. gain in hp was about 3. the sound was great!! and MPG increased a a few!! Of course with more 'sound' the gas pedal seems to find the floor more often, so the increase MPG is something that needs self control!! LOL

Just me...............................

Thumper

10. MiniHockey

MiniHockey New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What he said.....LOL
    I want to hear the Bee's more now so I am sure my MPG has dropped.

11. bodinski

bodinski New Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After the one-ball, I picked up exhaust vibration when I ran the a/c - noticeable at low rpms. I eventually replaced the exhaust & the vibration was gone.
    2 scents - bo

12. t3hwookiee

t3hwookiee New Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Seattle
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    About how much did y'all pay for this mod? I need to find a good muffler shop in OKC that can do this, love the sound of the SC, would love for even more engine noise. :D

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Got mine done 20k miles ago for about $50

14. t3hwookiee

t3hwookiee New Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Seattle
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Awesome, thanks!

15. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    ...ha ha...mine is totally stock and some people think I one balled my exhaust. :lol:

16. Forkboy

Forkboy New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil field heavy hauler
    Grand Junction, Co
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well... after reading about the happy people with their "one ball" exhaust I think I have decided to do that to my '06! Now I just have to find me a good shop out here in Colorado where I live. I mean we have plenty of good muffler shops but I not sure they could work on my car because it is not a pickup truck... :D

17. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I thought you had already done the pulley upgrade. Awesome on the 1 ball.

18. Forkboy

Forkboy New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil field heavy hauler
    Grand Junction, Co
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Finally got a chance to "one ball" my 06 and i love it! Thanks to all the people out there that have done this and posted about it because it really helped make my decision to do it. I had found a good shop out here to do it for $80 which i thought was reasonable. Thanks to all! :)

19. reed51

reed51 New Member

Sep 21, 2012
    US Marine.
    Jacksonville NC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had mine done for $16 6 of which covered the pipe
    Love it.