Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S OS Giken Clutch/Flywheel for R56 S?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Dwight, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have personal experience with the OS Giken single plate clutch/flywheel combo? I think it's the STR1CD. I'm primarily interested in street drive-ability as I don't do track/autoX, just spirited motoring and I plan to keep my MINI. I know it's expensive, but I have reason to worry about the OEM clutch/flywheel at 42K. The weak link is the dual mass flywheel and the more I read about those things the nervouser I get. They can fail big time at any mileage and they apparently don't like big increases in HP and TRQ. I'm at ~40HP and ~50 ftlbs over stock. Also, that flywheel rattle sound when at idle w/clutch released is starting to change :eek6:! Would appreciate any input before I plunge for the Giken and the 10-11hrs labor for the install. Thanks much. :crazy:

2. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #2 Rixter, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
    Dwight, Orangecrush (aka Mark) has that on his rebuilt. You can PM or email him from his profile. Besides the OS-G what other option(s) are you considering. Does SPEC have a decent rep?

(PS See Jim and Nate, I'm not the only one obsessed with his clutch :D)

3. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    I do. The STR1CD is a race ready clutch, it can handle extra horse power & torque, and endure the rigors of racing. It is not easy to launch with however, it was designed for the track where it's not required to start from a complete stop often. Pedal effort is not the issue, in fact pedal feel is about perfect, it's the nature of metal friction material on metal friction surface. It makes noise at idle also, if the OEM rattle annoys you, the metal ringing the OS makes may also. There is a new model called the GT1CD (Grand Touring), that was designed with stop & go in mind, but feedback is limited, and I've not installed one yet. I should have more information soon. When I say the STR is not easy to launch with, I don't mean you can't, it just requires a re-learn to release quickly and go while giving it throttle.

When ready to purchase, Werkin Mini is an OS Giken dealer; there has been a price increase my web page does not reflect yet. A how-to for an idea of what's involved in the install. Contact me if you would like additional user experiences.

4. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Just got a note from Waylen at WMW and he said that Giken may release a more street friendly version of their combo in Feb. I'm waiting and driving very careful in the meantime!! :Thumbsup: :D

5. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #5 k-huevo, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
    A preview of the two new versions can be seen here.

6. Porthos

Porthos New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wow I really need to pay more attention here. But I got this the week you posted this thread. I drove it on it for about a month before going to Afghanistan. I tell you in that month I was almost used to it. It takes some serious getting used to. But it is completely worth it. Though make sure you grind down the flywheel bolts by 3mm cause the instructions don't tell you. Had that problem and couldn't start the car. Basically had to do it all over again.