OS Giken MINI Products @ Werkin Mini

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by k-huevo, Sep 5, 2009.

1. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #1 k-huevo, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
    OS Super Lock LSD
    OS Giken’s patented design is a revolutionary breakthrough in clutch type limited slip differential design and allows it to have up to twice the friction plates compared to conventional designs. While under low or normal load conditions, the OS Super Lock LSD functions as a normal open differential, but once load is applied, it smoothly transforms into a 100% fully locking differential. OS Giken’s design enables the Super Lock LSD to be extremely responsive to throttle input and smoothly lock or loosen accordingly.

[​IMG]

Exacting engineering and precision machining assures the OS Super Lock LSD’s internal components precisely fit and function as one complete unit, thus reducing temperature and most incurred wear during operation. OS Giken Super Lock LSD,s have unparalleled durability and longevity. MSRP $1890.00

OS STR Clutch
    The STR single plate clutches were designed for daily driven high performance vehicles. STR clutches provide the comfort of the stock clutch’s pedal feel and the strength of a race ready twin plate. Whether a lap around the track or a trip to the corner store, the STR single plate clutch equally handles each task with ease. The clutch & flywheel are beauties, precision machining is apparent throughout, it’s a shame it must be hidden away within the transmission case. MSRP $1790

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The clutch release bearing is of all metal construction; contact shape and sleeve length are uniquely designed to work with the OS Giken clutch kit. OS utilizes a sloped design to enable more efficient leverage, resulting in increased drivability and a lighter clutch pedal. This release bearing is built like a tank compared to the OEM piece. Unfortunately it will not work correctly with the OE or other aftermarket pressure plates.

[​IMG]

2. Bimmer Lite

Bimmer Lite New Member

May 5, 2009
    English/Journalism teacher and writer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You know I wouldn't have minded if my clutch went at 70k instead of my supercharger so I could have an excuse to get some of these goodies. Just my luck the stupid thing will last forever.

- Marc

3. nazrin

nazrin New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whats the price of:

-OS Clutch & Flywheel
    -OS LSD

p.s. how does it compare to others like ACT or CM??

4. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    pricing is included in the original post! read.

5. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #5 k-huevo, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
    The obvious differences between OS Giken and the brands you mentioned nazrin are price point, materials, and construction, except for CM’s FX600 twin-disc, which has comparable ease of use, similar construction, and an equal price to match. As mentioned earlier, OS Giken STR clutches are user friendly on the street while maintaining plate pressures and friction materials needed for high power output MINIs. A CM FX400 4 puck disk or ACT G6 race disc offer increased clutch performance, but compromise easy clutch engagement characteristics.

MSRP for the OS Giken MINI products can be found above. Werkin Mini offers bundled product price discounts, contact [email protected] for more information. Werkin Mini also sells Clutch Masters and ACT clutch kits.

6. nazrin

nazrin New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay, great info Keith..but do yo think it would be a lil overkill for my steet driven Mini?

By the way, where is all your product list. If you have one, can you email me all of it including prices please? Werkin Mini sells great items IMO...Endyn, NS cam series, ATI super dampers, os giken clutch..WOW!!!

7. nazrin

nazrin New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Opsey...the baeutiful pics made me miss most of the text... :crazy:

8. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    No, not overkill, your MINI is no longer at a stock power output level, increased torque places increased demands on the clutch. It would be a shame to lose some of its potential through a slipping clutch. An OEM clutch is adequate in the majority of circumstances and can be nursed to function well at the thresholds of abuse, but when you want or need it to perform extraordinarily, it runs the risk of failing to deliver.

In response to that question as it pertains to an LSD, it makes a great deal of difference in a front wheel drive vehicle. I have a Quaife ATB differential and I’m very pleased, I feel the power being delivered to the road during drives out of corners, and I get a kick out of two wheel burn-outs. However, it seldom rains here so I get to realize the benefits often; an ATB differential is limited when one wheel loses traction completely, in the wet it’s less effective (the spinning wheel continues to spin robbing power from the opposing wheel, an open differential is even worse). Given your location I would assume the environment is wetter than mine, this is where an LSD like the OS Giken pays extra dividends, traction is available precisely as needed. Also, the OS Giken Super Lock LSD doesn’t contribute to understeer like an ATB differential does. You can live without an LSD, but once you have it, you’ll wonder why you’ve denied yourself the pleasure.

Please send an e-mail to [email protected] stating the product you are interested in, feel free to included previous price quotes and I’ll see if I can price match. I shop among various wholesalers for the best price on aftermarket products for your MINI. Werkin Mini has a shipping agent who is experienced in negotiating low prices for express shipping to international customers!

Thank you for the favorable comment and I’m glad you can recognize the product selection’s value.:smile5:

9. nazrin

nazrin New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dunno where to start Keith...i think its better you email me ([email protected]) all that you supply...maybe I will be interested in more products that i bargained for LOL. Cos the more I see...the more i would want to buy LOL

10. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps you don’t understand; I can provide any aftermarket product you want. The MINI parts world is your list.:D

11. nazrin

nazrin New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    really? anything I want? Okay..i
    ill send you an email....lets see ure prices :devil:

12. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #12 k-huevo, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
    OS Giken GT Clutch Preview

OS Giken has two versions of a new clutch kit for R53 and R56 MINIs soon to hit the streets, Models GT1CD and GTS1CD. The same heavy duty clutch cover as previous versions, but now the pressure plate is attached to the cover to reduce noise and smooth out engagement. The clutch disk is the same durable metallic material as before, ensuring longer life than OEM, and greater resistance to overheating.

The GT will have a dual-diaphragm spring for increased clamping pressure and is recommended for applications up to 400hp. The GT pedal will be a little stiffer than the GTS and current STR, more like a typical race clutch.

The GTS will have a single-diaphragm spring and is recommended for applications up to 300hp. Pedal feel is more like the STR, which means it is just about perfect. Reports from the prototype owner have words like "love" in it, and he states it is easy to drive in traffic.

MSRP is $1790.00 for each model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    #13 WolfGTI, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    Anyword on when this GTS setup can be bought? My clutch is practically dead and slipping more now.

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #14 Dave.0, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    GTR ?

I think you mean GTS or maybe STR.....

Unless you are selling your Mini for a Nissan GTR for MOTD this year.:Thumbsup::eek6: If so can I drive it?:lol:

15. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    LOL Dave - the current GTR is not a car I would ever consider.

16. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    Well good news - the clutch is supposed to arrive via FedEx tomorrow. Luckily the tragedy in Japan didn't delay it. Will post pics when I get it.

17. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    The OS factory survived unscathed in the recent catastrophic events in Japan.

WolfGTI received one of the first production GT series clutch kits for the R53MINI.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No flimsy stamped steel body and plastic sleeve here.

[​IMG]

18. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    I installed a GTS clutch kit in an R56 recently. It is undoubtedly a race clutch, but maintains good street manors. Backing up a steep grade is fairly easy to do without bogging. The noise level is somewhat muted compared to the STR, it lacks the metallic ringing tone, although as most single mass flywheels do, it shares the characteristic wooden rattle at idle. Unlike typical race clutches, pedal effort is light, much like stock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OS Giken R56 flywheels now have a timing notch for locking the flywheel when changing camshafts or removing the head.

[​IMG]

OS Giken was quick to implement the design change after feedback from MA member btwdriver (Brian Wisler). OS also increased flywheel thickness to match OEM; stock flywheel bolts are now a direct fit.

19. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    OS Giken has launched a new website, OS GIKEN.

20. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Whoa, much better website than the last one. :Thumbsup: