Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S P2096 even after installing new O2 sensors

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by jerryb2005mcs, Mar 30, 2014.

1. jerryb2005mcs

jerryb2005mcs New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Sr. Technical Consultant for company in the energy
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    So Ive been driving around with this code since buying this car. I've had to recently tackle it because I've got an emissions test to pass.

Since I was replacing one I went ahead and replaced both O2 sensors.

After clearing the codes I thought I'd seen the last of P2096.
    Tomorrow I'm going to get tested and pulled the Mini out of the garage to wash it.
    Wouldn't you know it, the code came back.

So, aside from the usual suspects (which I'll test for) I noticed the following.
    I have a custom header and exhaust system and the rear O2 sensor has an extender on it to clear the exhaust pipe and not hit the body of the car.
    What I noticed about the extension is that it wasn't a straight through pipe. It has a tiny hole for the exhaust to get to it.

Here is a quick sketch I made of the extender.

[​IMG]

The little hole is only about 3 or 4 mm wide. Would this cause this problem?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup that hole will cause a problem just like a leaking exhaust gasket.

How are you clearing the 2096? It is a hard code that needs to be cleared with a BMW tool or a BavTech tool. I used to chase that EFFIN code for months until I removed the O2 extender and installed two new OEM O2's and installed a proper exhaust gasket from Remflex 6005.
    MOPAR Header/Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Make sure everything is sealed from header to the back. The leak is causing the code.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    It may. You could go to a muffler shop and have them put a fitting on the exhaust that will put the O2 sensor in the proper place. Then plot the old hole.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Yea what Dave said. I type slow.:frown2:

5. jerryb2005mcs

jerryb2005mcs New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Sorry i wasn't clear. The hole in the pipe is attached the exhaust pipe. Thats how the O2 sensor can sample the exhaust gases.

So instead of being directly in the exhaust stream it has to come through this small hole.

And Dave, i'm using TorquePro. So you think its possible ive corrected the original issue and the actual code needs clearing?

6. Joker

Joker New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Automotive Euro Tech. TIS
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    How much value between the two sensors? If they mirror eachother, they are not efficient, one is a lazy sensor or with custom pipes they are possibly the same angle or to close to eachother and these sensors in any car seems to have a mind of its own. I even heard of a sensor comitting suicide by reading so out of spec the DME shuts it off and throws a malfunction code. Maybe its just a lazy sensor. Try using an ohm meter if the resistance goes past 1.5 as per BMW standards thats a no go.

7. Joker

Joker New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    If your looking for an OEM scantool try DIS i have erased hard codes on BMW with this and works good with the digital and the MS dme.

8. jerryb2005mcs

jerryb2005mcs New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Hi Joker. I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting I do. With a meter, how would I measure the resistance of the O2 sensor> Not while it's in use I'm guessing. If while running how would I do that?

I can remove the O2 sensors and measure the resistance easily, but these are brad new. I've never had experience with them being bad right out of the box. But I guess anything is possible.

9. Joker

Joker New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    #9 Joker, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    Šorry my bad , I swear you sounded like a tech. Yes disconnect both sensors and test the resistance. For me i dont trust a part because its brand new. I always test before i install and ive installed a lot of a/f and 02s , after market, OEs and factory . At one time when i was working at a local dealership here I went through 6 02s and 3 B1S1s. Imagine how many remove and reinstall i could have avoided if I tested before installing. Last thursday, yes i still do turn wrenches in my shop and used car dealership, I have a new tech freshly out of Fastrak program who just installed a brand new alternator, still code remains and battery light on. I assumed he did not instal correctly so i reinstalled and same thing, and it taught me a lesson never blame the tech ... It was a bad one from the dealer. I hope this helps.:Thumbsup:
    Ps you can actually run a volt meter while the sensors are connected even while engine is running, you just pierce the lead or probe behind the connectors.

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Just remember the OP has an first gen R53 not a 2nd Gen.

11. jerryb2005mcs

jerryb2005mcs New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Hehe Joker, yeah, I'm a tech, but in a different field! In any case, I'll pop the O2 sensors back out to check them.
    Since I couldn't see any cracks or pin holes in the exhaust doesn't mean there isn't any, so I'm trying to figure the easiest way to test it. Such as pressurizing the pipe and using soapy water. I have a halloween smoke machine but that could get messy.

Also, I'm just assuming that this code will fail me on my emissions test. Will it actually?
    It's the only code I've got at the moment.

12. jerryb2005mcs

jerryb2005mcs New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    So I took the post cat o2 sensor out and tested it. Heater wires are fine, the ground to feed was find at temp, just like the pre cat.

I don't have a way to test it while the car is running without possibly causing damage to the wires. So I didn't do that.

I did find a small exhaust leak just before the cat and welded it shut. Couldn't find any other leaks up stream. I did this by plugging up the exhaust pipe and pressurizing the exhaust system and then went along it with soapy water.
    Found a couple down stream leaks that I'll fix, but those would not have anything to do with the o2 sensors.

The Exhaust manifold seemed fine, I couldn't detect any leaks there but then I could not get all the way around the manifold flange to test it. I did not however hear any noise, whistling coming from the flange while the system was pressurized.

Wish I had a smoke tester on hand. Might try that later.

For now, I have what seems like perfectly good o2 sensors telling me that the exhaust gases are lean and I'm not seeing anywhere between the upstream o2 sensor and post cat sensor that would introduce more o2.

A little more about the post cat o2 sensor. Here is how it's mounted:

[​IMG]

The post cat sensor is basically right off the rear of the cat. Kinda odd to me.

I also opened up that pin hole that it was sampling the exhaust gases from to about 20mm now. Could go another 5 mm and that would be about as big as the interior diameter of the pipe.

Kind of at a loss now. If the up stream o2 sensor is fine how could the down stream sensor read lean...unless the cat is bad.

Ideas? And how would I test the cat to know?

Thanks and I'm off to drink a bunch of beers.

13. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    from your drawing it looks like they added the L shaped piece to the O2 sensor to try and fool the ECU that you have a cat. are you sure you have a cat there or is it gutted? the fact you have an aftermarket header kind of gives me that feeling. are you able to unscrew the L shaped piece or is it welded on?

you'll have to forgive me I only browsed the previous posts. in case I asked something that was already answered.

14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    What header do you have? What brand / who made it?

Please get ride of the L O2 anti-foul thing. Your O2 sensor should absolutely fit with a proper made header. If you have a cheap OBX or eBay header that could be your problem.

Have you used a BMW tool like BavTech to clear the hard coded 2096 yet? If you have you also need to reset the "adaptive's". Cheap autozone Pep-boys Scanner can't do these functions or clear hard codes stored in memory. They will just keep coming back after you clear them because they are not cleared.

15. jerryb2005mcs

jerryb2005mcs New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    The L pipe came with the car. The header did too. From what I've found, it's a CMC header, ceramic coated interior and exterior coating, and some kind of race cat.

That's the best I got.

As for being able to remove the L pipe, I can. But the o2 sensor won't fit back on without hitting and rubbing against the car.
    I could try it to see if the code clears.

I don't have access to the Bav Tech or other real tool to clear the codes. So, I just ordered one.

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ok they BavTech will allow you to clear the stored code and if everything is right it won't come back.

17. jerryb2005mcs

jerryb2005mcs New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    For the BavTech I bought the single car version.
    I don't think I will need it for other cars...but I should have purchased the 3 Vin version.

Do you guys know if it's possible to buy additional licenses from them? I'll jump back on their site to check.

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

That's what I have you don't need to register the VIN's and you do many MINIs as you want.

After you clear the codes make sure you reset the adaptive's. If you need help shoot me a PM with your number and I will call you.:Thumbsup:

19. jerryb2005mcs

jerryb2005mcs New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the help on the phone Dave!
    The BavTech tool really is pretty slick. And easy to use!

I got my code cleared along with a few others that I had and didn't know about!

Hopefully this takes care of this issue and I pass emissions tomorrow morning without problem!

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    As one that has used these race cats, they don't last. I get about 30k miles out of one before it's all been blown out the back.