2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Painless dent repair on roof (with sunroof)? (hail damage)

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by amberback, Apr 17, 2011.

1. amberback

amberback Club Coordinator

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Well, we've had a few hail storms lately and today my boyfriend noticed that I have some hail dents on my roof! :( There are probably ~5-10. (I'm too short and have a hard time seeing them.)

I was doing some googling and it sounded like the roof was the hardest place to repair, if even possible without drilling holes. :(

Has anyone had painless dent removal done on their roof? (specifically one with a sunroof)

Costs?

2. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Should be no trouble getting the dents popped from the roof, places that are hard to reach the PDR guys usually glue pull those.

As for price each market is different around here it would be 200 to 250 for the roof

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Shortly after buying my MC in '04, I noticed that hail had ball-peened the roof around the sunroof whe the car belonged to the previous owner. Funny that I didn't nitice it while I was buying the car, but maybe it had something to do with the denting appearing in off light. Anyway, the dealer [where I bought the car] did the paintless dent removal thing and the car still looks great...7 years later!

4. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    If your PDR tech is good, and there are a lot of good ones out there, you will never know they were there.

5. amberback

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    any tips on finding a good one? Questions to ask?

There are a bunch of out of state groups around right now that look like they just travel around and set up shop wherever needed. At first I thought I'd take it to the dealership my dad works at, but he said they're ripping headliners out of cars to do the roofs. I don't want that! :nonod:

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Most good PDR guys will remove the headliner to fix most dents from hail and only glue pull those they can not reach from the inside.

Try to ask around (bodyshops & dealers) and see who they use.

Most good shops will give you a recommendation for a good PDR shop.

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Don't know if you are going to MOTD or not, but there is a person that has a tent there who does dents.

Jim

8. amberback

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I am going. I just saw them on the vendor list. Trying to decide if I should have someone do it here before I go or just wait and have them do it.... These are the kinds of decisions I'm terrible at. :(

9. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I guess it would depend on how long it would take and how long your car would be tied up at MOTD. I saw the person last year, but did not need his services. Perhaps you could contact him and see what he thinks.

Jim

10. amberback

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. Trying to get in contact with them.