1st Gen R53 Cooper S Parts to Replace During Clutch Job

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by SooperCoopers, Apr 24, 2016.

1. SooperCoopers

SooperCoopers New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,

I am planning to do another clutch job (with single mass flywheel, new flywheel bolts, throw out bearing of course) in about two weeks, and I would like some advice as to which parts I should replace while doing this...

Here is what I have thought of so far:

Input Shaft Seal
    Rear Main Seal
    Clutch Fork Bushings
    Throw Out Bearing Guide tube (necessary?)
    Axle Shaft Seal

Anything I am missing, or really dont need above? I just want to tackle all of the relatively cheap stuff while I have the bell housing off to maximize the efficiency of this project

Also, I saw this gearbox seal rebuild kit on Ebay, and was curious if anyone has had experience with this? Would anyone recommend buying this kit?

Mini Cooper s R5 R52 R53 GS6 85 Gearbox Bearing Oil Seal Rebuild Kit | eBay

Thanks for your help!

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" train of mind, that said if the box has 300K on it maybe that's a different story. Point being, unless it's leaking I leave it alone. New fluid and off she goes (once the clutch is in of course)

What about the power steering pump and lower control arm bushings while the subframe's down?

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Is see rainbows..........no I have no LSD sorry

5. SooperCoopers

SooperCoopers New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Well originally, I was going to put in another clutch since I thought I had a bad Input shaft seal...so I wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone.

As it turns out, I have an axle seal leak instead, a much easier fix. I confirmed this with a UV tracer dye. Phew :)

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]