1st Gen R53 Cooper S Passenger door won't open

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Rocco8788, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Rocco8788

Rocco8788 New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So the other day, when it was about 300 below zero, my wife go into my '04 MCS and then couldn't get out. Neither the inside or outside door handles are opening the door. The first pull still "unlocks" the door but the second does not do a thing.
    So here's my head scratcher... Has anyone else had a similar problem? Think it's the cable or the latch itself? Is it possible to get the door panel off with out opening the door (since I have to get to the guts before I can get the door off)?

2. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Does it unlatch but not quite all the way? Idk if the 2nd gen door latch system is the same but my drivers door does that periodically. I just push and keep trying until it opens.

3. Rocco8788

Rocco8788 New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    No. It just doesn't open at all.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I had the same problem with the drives door. You need to have the door open to take off the inside panel. Try to lock and unlock the door with the remote then try to open the door from the outside.

If it opens take off the door panel and check the cable from the inside handle to the latch. Next make sure it has not moved from its cable holders.

It should be held to the door with clips with a sag in the middle. If the sag is missing pull on the cable to make one. Close the door and try and open it from the inside again holding the sag in the middle and you will feel the cable inside try to open the door. If the door opens the cable was out of position causing to latch to not fully open.

To fix this in my car I secured the sag in the cable with a screw and wire tie and have not had the problem again.

Hope this helps you out, good luck.

5. Rocco8788

Rocco8788 New Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You're awesome Dave. Double tap the remote and open it came from both handles. so I need to pull the panel off and see what's up in the next few weeks. I don't really have the time to do it tonight and since I am starting a new job as an ER nurse I will not have much time for the next 2 weeks but if it continues to work like this it's live-able.
    Cheers!!

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Awesome glad that helped you out. :Thumbsup:

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    On my 03 Justa, the handles would get ice behind the lever on the outside handle. When this happened the cable/latching mechanism would not cycle properly, so nothing worked. The temp fix was be very diligent about cleaning snow off the handles before using them. If ice did form, spray with deicer.

The long term fix was replace with late build 04 handles that had stronger springs to push the lever back. Never had the problem again after that.

This was in Manitoba, where 300 below was considered rather balmy:Thumbsup:

Mark