Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S PCV hose, delete.

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by czar, Apr 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. czar

czar New Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Now i'm sure most if not all of you are aware of the issue attaining to the N14 engine, which has the issue of excessive carbon build up on the inlet valves ?

The usual method is to fit an oil catch can or use a cleaning additive such as Seafoam, BG K44 etc etc or maybe both, there has been discussions and I have mentioned this too, about the fitment of water/meth injection to help remove and control the excessive carbon build up.

For a while now I have been testing another solution, and this is to completely remove the rear PCV hose, which feeds the crankcase gas oil mist residue directly into the base of the inlet manifold, which in turn is pulled up into the incoming air flow and finds itself being burnt onto the inlet valves.

So the following photo's show what I have done as another alternative to combat this issue.
    P1010073.jpg P1010093.jpg P1010096.jpg P1010100.jpg P1010107.jpg P1010111.jpg

And all is well and good.

2. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Ok so now you are building up crank case pressure. how do you plan to fix that?

3. czar

czar New Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    The crankcase pressure still vents through the front forward facing PCV, which feeds direct into the air intake pre turbo.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #4 Metalman, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
    Which then condenses inside the intercooler on it's way to the intake valves via the intake manifold..... Unless there is an effective OCC in the air path.

5. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I must admit, this seems intriguing. Keep us updated on how the car performs over time. You are a braver soul than I.

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    If that is the simple fix, don't you think the engineers at BMW would have done it. Just saying, but this could lead to problems you have not thought of. Keep us posted. :Thumbsup:

Jim

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    BMW did not do that because venting those fumes to the atmosphere is adding to air pollution. Cars are getting cleaner & cleaner for a reason & that is government regulations keep getting more stringent.

8. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    They did for the 2011 models.:Thumbsup:

czar, please share where you got the plugs from!!

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Wonder where the crank case gases are vented to now on the 2011? They sure do not vent those to the atmosphere. I think BMW does see a problem with their direct injection. Other makers are seeing similar problems with their direct injection engines.

10. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    No.... BMW would never vent the PCV gases directly to the atmosphere without first cooking off the fumes by running them through the engine followed by the catalytic converter along with all the other pollutants.

With the 2011, two vents have been reduced to one. The path eliminated is the hose leading from the valve cover directly to the intake manifold. The other one remains in place and the fumes on the 2011 are drawn into the cold air side of the turbo, flowing through the inter-cooler and into the intake manifold, kissing the intake valves and into the engine. Just a longer route. Always being drawn into the engine to be "cooked" off. The problem remains, it just will take longer to show up as carbon buildup. And of course, the Dinosaur snot will cake the inside of the IC as well. Maybe the IC should be called a OCC that doesn't have a drain???

11. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I asked the shop foreman at North West MINI about the missing PCV hose on the 2011 cars. He told me that the head is different on the 2011 engines, there are now passages in the head that run from the space under the head cover to the intake ports. He said that they changed the design because there was a problem with oil collecting in the throttle body on the engines with the PCV hose.

I also asked about the BSH Oil Catch Can and dual boost port, he was concerned that it is a modification to the PCV system, which is against EPA regulations. But he also said that a number of cars have been through the shop have them and that they haven't caused any problems on the engines he has seen.

Dave

12. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Interesting......
    So they eliminated the long hose going to the IM because on the N-18 it's not needed since the PCV vapors will be drawn directly into the runners over the intake valves and into the cylinder all in an effort to eliminate the oil pooling (PCV vapors) at the throttle body.

So from the outside it looks like they eliminated the carbon buildup possibility (the missing hose), but in reality the issue of carbon buildup may still be there??? Hmmmmmm:confused5:

So these new "Block off" caps being discussed may be a MINI retrofit solution to oil pooling at the throttle body. Since the N-14 head doesn't have these "special" oil channels in the head like the N-18, the PCV fumes will be routed through the second valve cover opening into the cold side of the turbo, if the block off caps are used w/o a OCC on the N-14 engine.

Hmmmm..... N-18 owners won't be able to filter the PCV fumes with a OCC because the routing is all in the head.

13. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    In other words, if you think the problem is solved, it is all in your head? :lol:

Jim

14. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    sooo. are these some sort of OE plugs? They look it

15. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

16. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    This is truth

17. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    From a basic physics perspective I just don't see how these so called "passages" would work or could even exist unless each passage had its own little associated PCV valve that was only open under vacuum.

Under boost conditions, you would be continuously losing pressure into the crankcase and back through the valve cover vent into the turbo inlet pipe. Worse yet, under boost your turbo would be effectively pressurizing the crankcase along with the intake manifold--death to gaskets and seals.

If such passages exist, there has got to be more to the story.

18. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    You must first let go and feel the Force, as only then will passages reveal themselves to you Luke. :D

Jim

19. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Jim..... you are always thinking about food?

20. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Wait a minute now MM. I think you have me confused with Crashton. :yesnod:

Jim