Penske MINI Dealers

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Dwight, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have any personal experience dealing with Penske Automotive Group MINI dealerships? MINI of San Diego opens the 20th and I'm just curious. They've invited my club, West Coast MINI, to their new place twice while under construction and impressed everyone with their knowledge and enthusiasm about MINIs old and new. They even asked us for input on recommended after market parts suppliers and intend to stock them at the dealership! :smilewinkgrin:

2. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    I bought my MINI from a Penske BMW dealership who decided against having MINI due to the lot size and the economy, according to the sales guy.

They were a pleasure compared to the MINI dealership I am stuck with. :mad:

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Everything Penske does, racing, manufacturing, truck leasing and car dealerships appears to always be done professionally and done right. While I haven't experienced one of his MINI stores I have done business with them in their other ventures with outstanding experiences.

4. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    They have a great reputation with the dealership they own in RI.
    They are supportive to the local clubs, opening on weekends to host tech event, give club discounts, and stock far more parts that the other local MINI dealers!! :D

5. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    We don't have a MINI dealership anywhere close by here in Central California. But, we do have a BMW dealership. Past rumor was that MINI USA and the local BMW folks didn't see eye-to-eye. Not much of a surprise really... As I understand it, MINI USA wants the MINI dealer to be conjunctive with the BMW dealer. Meaning, I guess, that they have to be owned by the same folks and be within close proximity of one another. Well in our case, the BMW dealer has no room for that endevour, and certainly had no vision for expanding into MINI when they built their new "Pre-Owned" Taj Mahal immediately next door.

Anyway, Penske bought one of the local Honda dealerships and built a new state-of-the-art facility just down the street from the old one. They could certainly modify the old property and put up a MINI dealership, but BMW will likely not allow for the competition so close together since the established Bimmer dealer is only 6 miles down the street. Well, that's, I guess, unless you're in Portland.......

Maybe we'll get a MINI dealer soon. Whether it's Penske or the other guys, it doesn't matter. We need one! I agree with the comments CHKMINI makes. We'll just have to wait and hope they have interest in this market.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The first MINI dealer that is not aligned with a BMW dealer is going to opening soon here in Plano, TX. MINI of Plano was a SAAB dealer sharing the lot with a Hummer dealer owned by the same folks. The umbrella company, Sewell, also has caddy and Lexus stores in the Dallas area and are known for their customer service.

We in the Dallas area look forward to the opening of our third dealership in the region.

7. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Penske's MINI of San Diego (MoSD)

MoSD opened a couple months ago and the difference between it and the only other dealership in the county is astonishing! Before they even opened they had invited my club, West Coast MINI, to a BBQ and Q&A session three times! They even asked myself and a couple other modding fanatics who we'd recommend as after market parts suppliers. I damn near passed out! On opening day their service dept. had MINIs lined up at 7AM. All who have had their cars serviced there have raved about the quality and honesty of the work performed. BTW, the place looks stunning. Penske tore down his Aston Martin/Jaguar dealership to build the new place from scratch. There be a mess of MINI Happy Campers in San Diego county now! LMAO :Thumbsup: :lol: :D :smilewinkgrin:

PS: These pics are from before opening w/club members prowling all over the place!

Attached Files:

8. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    From what I know of Sewell stores they too do it right. Nathan, maybe they could set up a DJ type kiosk in the dealership and everyone could watch the "man behind the glass" run "The Alliance" :beer:popcorn:

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yeah...I think not. Much like Garrison Keillor I too have a "face made for radio".

10. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Yeah..makes sense...the MINI dealer in RI shares the same parking lot....
    And MINI of Peabody in Mass just moved...about 4 miles (from RT 1 to RT 114)...to a building that is NEXT to the BMW dealer...same owner...
    Talking to a parts person at the RI shop that I know, he says they get their parts delivered to the BMW dealer...then they are brought over to the MINI building...so I guess the receiving functions, and a few other "back office" activity's, along with site security, receiving, shipping, etc are all pooled to be more efficient and save a few $$.

11. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    So what is the real deal with a MINI dealer being apart from the BMW dealer? Sounds like it's a doable thing. Wonder if maybe Penske even realizes there's no MINI dealer here in the Fresno/Clovis area of California... How can we get them interested???

12. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    It takes a long time for a dealer to open up in a new territory....right to a new area are likely already sold...just not in use...
    I know MINI of peabody was talking about building a MINI of Manchester NH like 6 years ago...and they are just publicly talking about it...and showing concepts of the building...They are NOT a Penske dealer...
    The Pemske dealer I know of is down in RI...seems to be every bit as good as MOP....so we have 2 of 3 dealers being the cream of the crop within a 2 hr drive...I won't say anything about the "place in Boston" run by HerbChambers.....:cryin:

13. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Mini of Mountain View is going to be moving in January. They aren't moving the BMW dealer with them so maybe they will be apart. No idea where they're moving. Hopefully further south!

14. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Clovis would be good...