1st Gen R53 Cooper S Planned Modifications for my MCS

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by oldvet53, Nov 3, 2012.

1. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Well the DDMworks cold air intake is due next Tuesday and will have it on by Wednesday if it isn't raining or bittery cold. The next planned mod. is the WMW 15% S/C pulley kit with the undersized belt and colder plugs, and after that is the Megan Racing header and have a high flow cat installed and mate it to the Megan Racing cat back exhaust. Coments? Ideas on the plan of attack?:Thumbsup:

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    While you are at it I'd replace the plug wires too. Regular wires will work fine. If you need fancy colored ones that promise performance those are available too. Don't waste your money on an aftermarket coil pack.

FWIW I run stock heat range plugs with no issues. Others seem to like a colder plug.

My advice would be to go with a Milltek exhaust. Nice sounding & not too loud. Try the exhaust before going with a header. Just my .02.

3. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #3 oldvet53, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    Good Point Crashton, the wires will be replaced and will put on the Megan Racing exhaust before the header and try that set up as the cat back from them claims a 6.1 h.p. increase and 8ft. lb.increased t.q. according to there dyno test accrose the entire R.P.M. range and has 2 1/2" pipes as apposed to the 2 1/4" for the Milltek.

4. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    If you haven't yet, highly recommend you to change to an aftermarket harmonic damper. That will give you priceless peace of mind. I regretted to have that ticking time bomb explode on me on the road. Not a very nice experience.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    1+ to the above.

The OEM one will only last so long and when to goes its bad. Since you are buying your parts from WMW I know he has both the ATI and the fluid filled ones.

I would also recommend a belt tensioner if yours has not been replaced yet.

Both of the above parts are easy to replace while you are installing your 15% pulley.

6. WildThang

WildThang New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Retired Steel Horse Cowboy
    Fremont Nebraska
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Some advice: Skip the header. Headers are not cheap to begin with. The stock manifold isn't that bad. Just do the cat back exhaust (find the videos of your choices and listen closely before you purchase).

Since you're going to do the supercharger pulley, get a belt tensioner stop. More good piece of mind.

After all that, go suspension. Upgrade the rear. Stock rims are heavy, you can do better. Loose the back seats and toss out 40some pounds.

7. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I also have planned on the fluid crank pulley and the belt tensioner stop as I can't see one on mine from the top and was going with the teflon bushings when I ordered.

8. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #8 oldvet53, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    I'm planning to go with a H Sport rear sway bar as it has 3 adjustments and can still use the stock front and doing a rear seat delete as it's just me and the dog. I also plan on the M7 front strut brace as it comes with mounts that prevent mushrooming and eventually going to a rear strut brace. But the first thing after the intake is going to be a steering pump fan cover to keep out any trash. The cold air kit and the power steering cooling fan cover I can do myself. I have been looking at a set of KARZERA KZ-P black 10 spoke wheels in 16"x7" as they weigh only 16.9 lb from TIRE RACK and mounting up a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE 760 Sports as summer tires. But it will be a work in progress as I get a small Veterans Disability check and S.S. check. I'm not trying to build a track car, but I would like to get in the 180 WHP range and torque figures around 175 FT.LB. range or better. I just want a good, reliable street car. The S/C pulley and A.T.I. Super Crank pulley and tensioner stop will be done by a Foreign car mechanic that comes highly recommended as with L3,L4 and L5 disc empty and I have Scoliosis I can't take on a job like that anymore. I think I can handle the rest.

9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    If you can hold off until the dragon there are several highly regarded & knowledgeable MINI tech's who could do that install for you. That would give you more time to save up for the goodies too.

10. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #10 oldvet53, Nov 4, 2012
    It will probably take me close to that long to save up the money, where is the Dragon held as I have to stop every hundred miles or so because of my back and stretch. I need to have some idea of how much it would cost to do the pulley's and tensioner stop installation so I'll have to know how much cash I have to bring for the parts and labor + gas money for the trip there and back and what the admission is to get into the Dragon Event. And I'll have to make sure that my neighbor will be able to care for my little dog while I'm gone. And is there camping spaces as I have a tent? And could not probably afford a motel room.

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  12. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    The mods will cost you about the same as going:Thumbsup:

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    True but it is so much fun and one of the can't miss events every year.

14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    Woodstock for MINIs, it is a must do event. Having your car upgraded while there is just icing on the cake. :Thumbsup:

15. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #15 oldvet53, Nov 4, 2012
    I'll try and make it but don't know if I'll be able to make this one as I have 4 Daughters and 5 Grand Kids with another on the way so I'll have to send all of them some Christmas money. I have so many V.A. Dr.'s appointments so I'll just have to see if I have any appointments at that time and if I can save up all of the money in time as it looks like I might need to bring 1K. with me to attend and do the mods. I'll just have to see what I can do, if not this coming year then the next for sure as I would have the mods. done already and not be so rushed to save up all of that money and I'll have to make sure that I have all of my medications as I have to wear a Fentanyl pain patch and take 26 pills a day plus my breathing medications. Time will tell.

16. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    By all means take care of yourself first. :Thumbsup: The mods can come later.

17. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Well finaly got my DDMworks Cold Air Intake on and had a few problems that had me doing more than I should have, back is killing me. Going to have to get the hose that comes out of the Air Box as mine is starting to show some age cracks but nothing all the way through. Man did I have a time trying to get the hose on the Air Box Snout, the hose is getting hard and didn't want to stretch over the outlet. But I love it! It feels like it is quicker and oh that sound! With the radio off and can actually hear the Supercharger now as I run it up through the gears! I could go all day with no radio just listening to that sound!

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Congrats on the install.

IMO, the supercharger makes such a beautiful sound I don't know why anyone would want the Pssssst sound of a turbo blow off valve.

19. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    AGREED Dave!
    :Thumbsup:

20. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #20 oldvet53, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    My next order will be later this month from WMW and will be the Samco Intake Hose,Carbon Cabin Air Filter and the WMW Pulley Package with the under sized belt and 15% Pulley. The Pulley Kit will be put back until I can order the A.T.I. Super Crankshaft Pulley and then all will go on together at one time. Then the M7 Front Strut Tower Brace and H-S Sport 19mm Rear Sway Bar and the Back Seat Delete and finaly the The Cat Back Megan Racing Exhaust. I think that will be all I'm going to do with this car, but may also add a Rear Strut Tower Brace.:D