Question Feedback Poll - Which forum format do you like (Old Style or New "Motoring Alliance")

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Sully, Feb 10, 2018.

?

Which Style Do You Like More? Default or Motoring Alliance

1. Old Style

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Motoring Alliance

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    #1 Sully, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    All,

I'm continuing to work on the new platform, layout and options. While there are many aspects I like, there are some that are a little bothersome. Also, I've had a few members ask about a more "normal" style layout. Therefor, I would like to do a quick poll and see which style you like better.. the "Old Style or the current one called "Motoring Alliance".

To see the different styles, go to the bottom of the page. In the footer on the left hand side you will see a box called "Motoring Alliance". It has a little drop down arrow. There you can choose between "Motoring Alliance" and "Old Style".

Style.JPG
    Regarding the Old Style - it will have the features and functionality. The colors can be change and adjusted. Here is a picture.. take a look and give it a shot.
    OldStyle.JPG
    Lets do a poll... and see which ones members prefer. Also, if you add comments etc regarding either style that would be great to help me better understand what you are looking for and like/don't like.

Ultimately I'm trying to determine if/where we can improve the navigation of the site.. so any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

Josh

2. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    For example - is the order of the categories confusing everyone? Should I move Technical Questions and answers up?

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I am still getting used to the new format, I'm still getting used to it.
    So far so good.

4. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +661 / 0 / -0
    With an easy way to see new forum posts, I'm happy now ;-)

Still getting used to different, but it takes me a while.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The new site is 10,000 times better then the old site.

I just wish I could start a new thread. I know it’s listed somewhere here but I have been to lazy to look it up.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0

Yeah, the first thing I do when I come to the forum is look at the new posts, which you and I have already talked about, Sully. It is an easy, one-click task now.

I'd still like to see the colored box "prefixes" moved to the the other end, as "suffixes," so I can scroll down and read the thread topics all lined up on the left.

Other than that, I'm getting used to the new format, and like some of the new capabilities a lot. I really like the drag-and-drop photo feature, that allows you to easily put a photo in a post, with text before and after the photo.

CD

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @Dave is it because you are having trouble navigating to the spot you want to put the post? I agree this sight is way better then the old one. Sully and I talked about this yesterday. It is different than the other sight and I was thinking that maybe people are having trouble navigating to where they want to go but this may not be the case. As everyone knows Sully has really put in a lot of time on this new sights and has plans to make it a better place for the mini community. So if you come here and read this please post your likes and dislikes. This will really help.

Thanks Sully.

8. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Great thanks for the feedback. Do you mind if I ask, if there are features/functions that you are “looking” for or missing? That will help me understand potential area’s I can tweak. Also - do you see the “poll” at the top of the thread? (More asking as no-one has voted yet (so this question is really more toward everyone who reads this post)... :Alien:

9. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Agreed - that was pretty annoying... glad we got that figured out. Its funny how when we were testing it wasn’t picked up. In retrospect, that is because we were trying to figure out functionality and not “looking” for new content.

2 Questions -
    1) What about if you are looking for something? Are you able to find it quickly?
    2) When you are looking for “new” post. Do you use the “New” (#1) or do you use the “New Post” #2 or both? (See Picture Below)
    94D1B532-1D7F-48C8-983A-7118BB1F3662.jpeg

10. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @Dave.0 - thanks for posting this. This week, I had another active member ask me this... So I need to think through how to adjust or make this more clear. The last thing any of us want is to limit the ability for members to create threads and discuss topics. Here is how you do it today.... please let me know how you think it should look... I.e. stated differently, when you were thinking of starting a new thread, where did you look? That will help me understand where others are probably looking.

Today there are a few spots to start a new thread. However you cannot do that from the “Main” forum page since you are not “technically” in a forum yet. See pic below...
    0C1F9419-F68F-4452-A92E-9E25F47D15D8.jpeg

You need to go “into” a forum or Category to create a thread. For example, Technical Questions and Answers Forum

25C03892-358E-4397-B9E3-73078FA6D7D3.jpeg

Once in the forum (or sub forums) there are buttons you should always see (let me know if you are not as that would be a permissions issue that I somehow missed....)

D9E46CB1-FD24-48FF-969A-C00DC4D6216E.jpeg

So you will have one at the top right “always” and one right above the threads in the forum (see below)

4590BD0E-833E-47C2-B9A2-52A81C45F434.jpeg

You should also see one at the bottom of the threads...
    A0FBA9F2-5235-475A-91AE-FF195D2A8D7B.jpeg

Again - please let me know where you are “looking” to start a thread.. I.e. when you wanted to start one you looked somewhere... didn’t see it and therefore didn’t start a thread. Where did you naturally go? That will help me see if I can put a button there.

• List
  11. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I'm having the same issue, it is a bit of work to find a way to post a thread. Still love the new site though.

12. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @caseydog - Agree on this one. Just need a little more time. Also, the “prefixes” I’m going to try and work on. The initial ones we created, where to help “move” the forums around and consolidate. I still need to do that to the General conversation area. That said, the functionality they provide currently isn’t super valuable. I plan on manually going through post in each forum and categorizing them better. I also am working with a graphics designer and developer to clean up the colors and change their location. Which actually isn’t as easy as I expected. That said, before I make these changes I’ll put together some information on my thoughts and post them so we can all have input. I think that will also allow everyone to see how they potentially can be used... good feedback.. appreciate it (as always).

On a side note, I’m also working on trying to figure out a way so you can take super large images (like the ones you probably take when doing shoots on your camera) and upload them. Right now if you try to upload an image that is two large it “hangs”.. I did research on this and essentially I’m running out of server memory as it try’s to scale the image. So that is a work in progress. Ideally I can make it super easy for you to upload any image without you/members having to do any re-sizing. Instead that would be handled by the software.

13. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Agreed - I think that is pretty cool. In Xenforo 2.0 this actually gets even easier. We just need it to get stable first before doing the upgrade.

Using a critical eye - what else would you like to see changed? So it would feel more natural and not require as much “getting used to it?”

As always - good feedback, keep it coming. :Ninja:

14. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @MCS02 - is being very kind.. he and @Steve have put a TON of late nights, weekends etc on this site. I cannot take credit its a volunteer team. When you see them at MOTD or anywhere else... buy them a beer! This site is for all of us... so if anyone else wants to join the band and help let me know. We have a lot of ideas on how to continue to improve the site once we get through this Phase 1.. some of the ideas require manual effort (For example - Cleaning up “prefix” to make them more valuable) so the more people that help the faster it will go.. :Cyclops:

15. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @Qik - Looks like I may have been responding to @Dave.0 post when you replied. Did you see this yet? https://www.motoringalliance.com/threads/poll-which-forum-format-do-you-like-old-style-or-new-motoring-alliance.30363/#post-401164

That is an explanation of today. Same question for you as I asked Dave.0. Where do you naturally “look” to create a thread? I.e. it should be the natural place you are looking to create a new thread. This will help me see if/how I can potentially tweak this so you don’t have to look and its super simple... which is my goal. The easy button.
    C66413AC-6245-472F-B371-BAA19D630291.jpeg

16. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Well - I just learned something.. and its something I need to figure out how to change. I was wondering why members were not using the poll above. It appears you are (THANKS).. :) However I was expecting to just “see” the results.. but no, you have to click on the button, view results. See pic below..
    1A92A1EB-E590-44FB-AD71-17C09C516D0E.jpeg

I need to figure out how to change that.. :rolleyes: But now you know if you want to see how things are trending.

17. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    As an old fart who is mostly resistant to change the new M/A is a tough learning curve for me. I'm making my way slowly learning as I go along.

Thanks to ALL who have worked on the transition to the new site. I know it was not an easy job. :Thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sully. I was looking on the main page to create a new thread, but after you explained I should be in the forum I saw the button.

After you explained with pictures it made perfect sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +661 / 0 / -0

I am using the new in spot #1.. That is what I use for most of what I do.. Not really searching for anything, just keeping up with what is going on, and read whatever interests me..
    Thanks for the work on the site!!

20. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    No problem - and thanks for your feedback.. really appreciate it. :)