1st Gen R53 Cooper S Possible Clutch Upgrades

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by 00zero, Dec 10, 2010.

1. 00zero

00zero New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh. Pa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My clutch is just starting to go. it slips when trying to accelerate in high gear.

I want to upgrade to a bit better clutch but i don't want a lightweight flywheel.

Does anyone know is the vaelo flywheel is available separate from the kit?

Will it work with an ACT HD pressure plate and disc?

i figure my other options are the full vaelo kit or live with lightweight flywheel, any thoughts?

-Jonathan

2. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    As I understand it, the flywheel in the Valeo kit (the kit that deletes the dual-mass feature on the stock flywheel) is different than stock, so that any clutch made to fit the stock flywheel will not fit the Valeo.

I will add, though, that I have put about 10K miles so far on one of these kits with a fairly hot engine (about 200 at the wheels) and so far, it's been SWEET. No noise, super-smooth engagement, good pedal feel. The engine doesn't rev quite as sharply as it did with an aluminum flywheel, of course, but I sure don't miss the noise.

3. 00zero

00zero New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh. Pa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    in that case the vaelo kit my be all i need.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

4. 00zero

00zero New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Engineer
    Pittsburgh. Pa
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    well my clutch is no longer slipping, weird?

Maybe a combination of sitting for a month and the cold (15deg)? i have no clue

-Jonathan