Feedback Post Site Migration Comments and Issues Here

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Sully, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    #1 Sully, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Please use this forum for posting feedback, issues and thoughts regarding the new platform. I will use this thread to update the overall status based on the feedback you provide.

Updated: 2/5/2018
    Open Issues/Questions:
    • Forums Issues/Questions:
      • The small logo that shows in tabs, is not showing in firefox and some other browsers.
        • Was fixed.. but noticed its broken again.. :Banghead:
      • Need to be able to search for "R53, F56" etc..
    • Images and Media:
      • How to I set "upload files"... i.e. images to automatically post into the thread and not as attachment?
        • I'm working to resolve this..
      • Signatures - I need to figure out what/how is best to handle these long term.
    Somewhat closed (I.e. will do more with the items below over time)
    • Badges... we don't need no stinking badges. Actually we do and they are not setup. Need to get these setup. (So initial setup done... I want to do something different long term. Let me know if I missed any!.. )
    • Smilies - can we have more smilies please? (Added - can add more.. working on the short code.)
    • Can add a button for "New Post" and or "Recent Post" to the main forum page?
      • Note - this is more opened than closed. I did add a sidebar so you can see a list of recent post (note - its only 10).. still working on overall solution.
    • "Newest Post is lagging, sometimes as far back as 1.5 hours. Then when refreshes, still behind.
      • Think this is resolved, could use some more testing. Let me know if you continue to see delay's..
    • Setting for Navigation in sidebar and to have sidebar in "threads/forums" not just main page.
      • Navigation is now set at the top below the main navigation page. Includes New post, Watched forums/articles/etc...
    • Is there a way to see the last post first in threads?
      • Not by default, add-on needed. Also need to create "How do I" for navigation.
    Development Required:
    • Script needs to be created to resolve:
      • Embedded Tags are showing up instead of the image/video - [ame="[MEDIA=]medilink[/MEDIA]"]FIA GT World Cup 2017. Qualification Race Macau Grand Prix. Huge Pile Up - YouTube[/ame]
    • Editing Existing Post - When you edit your thread and want to add images to an existing post, the "image" button in the upper area of the editing box essentially doesn't work. It opens the upload file as normal, but when you insert one it shows as "view attachment".. instead of putting it in the post.. and sometimes that link isn't even valid.
    • Short term work around - if you are editing your own post, instead of using the "little Image Icon" at the top of the editing box do the following:
      • Click on "More Options" in the bottom right next to save changes.
      • At this point, you "can" click on the the image icon and edit as normal, but I wouldn't as the results are mixed.
      • The best way to do this until I fix this issue is to:
        • Use "Upload File" next to Save Changes below the editing box.
        • Upload the file/image
        • Look below the Save button in the "Attached Files" Section and find the image.
        • Choose full or thumbnail
        • Make your edits, then press "Save Changes"
    • Can we make the Go to First Unread "Blue" button bigger (reduce the need for double clicking).. and its to small for mobile
    • Social Media:
      • Can't embed Twitter (Video)
        • Requires add on.
    Closed Items i.e. implemented. If you see issues please let me know:
    • Images from new iPhone's will not upload (image to larger for server to handle). Set limit to 32MB
    • Media Section of the Site - Thumbnails are not being built for certain Images.
    • Something is up with the spam filter - blocking to aggressively. (Adjusted settings - let me know if you see new issues)
    • Avatars - set to 51,200 bytes by default. Reverted back to 51,200. Avatars are resized automatically. I ran some test of different pics and all sizes seemed to upload. Ideally the pics you upload are square, 200 x 200 and smaller. See link: How Do I -
    • Template Error: Online_List this does not seem to happen every time.
    • User Registration:
      • <<Fixed>> When users register there are server registration errors (Can someone test this? I'm out of email addresses)
      • <<Turned Off - Until I update the Membership Levels>>When users register - they are not prompted with the PemBer packages (Buy options... i.e. membership which I need to update)
      • <<Fixed>>Facebook login getting error: Can't Load URL: The domain of this URL isn't included in the app's domains. To be able to load this URL, add all domains and subdomains of your app to the App Domains field in your app settings.
    • <<Fixed>> Site Map file is showing as invalid - invalid sitemap file
    • Alerts and Communications:
      • <<Fixed>>Some people are not getting emails from conversations.. Steve (admin) for examples stopped at 3:31PM <<Appears to be fixed.. let me know if you see issues>>
      • <<Fixed>>Notifications and Alerts - shouldn't the "Forum" navigation show "new items" like Showcase and Articles? <<Forums tab does not do that>>
    • On Home page - Recent Threads and See More are pulling different type of information. See More is 100% based on what you have not "read".. Recent threads is based on both what you have not read and what has been posted (I.e. activity)
      • Forums>"New Post" = what you have not read
      • Forums>New Post>"View all Recent Threads" (i.e. Activity)
      • Home Page > Recent Threads = Should equal both what you have read and what you have not..
    Showcase/Garage:
    • <<Fixed>> When on the Showcase page https://www.motoringalliance.com/showcase/ the Showcase drop-down menu changes as one moves the mouse down the listing. When scrolling down to Watched Content a new item, Watched Items, pops in and one cannot get to New Content on the list.
    Advertisements:
    • Some people are seeing adult oriented content
    • Guest (i.e. non-members) on mobile are not seeing ads at top of screen..
    "How Do I"
    • Upload Media to Media - Create Albums
    • Multi-Prefix on PC and on Computer
    • Multi-Prefix - how to watch threads this way
    • How to “see new threads”
    • Avatar settings - currently at 51,200 bytes (.05mb) - should be square and 200 x 200 (at least)
    • Signature Pictures - how to upload signature pictures and link to them?
    • Media Gallery - put an album into a thread
    • Explanation of "New Post", "Recent Post" and how to setup for your preferences
    Current Efforts in progress:
    • Finish migrating the library over. Have most of it now, the only main section remaining is Events. Rest has been migrated
    • Implementing the updated classifieds system.

As always, let me know if I'm missing something or you find other issues, questions, suggestions.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    One of your closed issues is "Likes isn't an option". Does that mean we don't have a like function here? I'm not going to shed tears if we don't but I thought I saw a way to both like and dislike and that it had an effect on a member's "rating" (or something like that). Also, it might look strange, mostly to members who migrate along from the old site, that under your avatar is a thumbs up with a number after it that was carried over from the like system we used to have.

3. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    You should now have the ability to “like” post. I just “liked” yours. Are you not able to see / do it? If so, it would be a permission issue I would need to look into. o_O

4. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I see it now. Originally saw the wording in your post #1 and assumed it meant like wouldn't work and then scanned too quickly for it. I expected to see something like the actual word "like" and didn't notice the thumbs up and thumbs down hiding among what looks at first glance like just a bunch of smilies. Plus they're all hidden (at least for me on desktop) unless I hover my cursor over the post.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The green Feedback tag in the post is spelled incorrectly. It currently spelled as "Feeback".

6. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Lol - late nights and fast typing.. know you have to understand that one. :rolleyes:

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    So does this Feeback mean Nathan will refund all money paid to him? :eek:

8. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    MAprofilespamerror.png I was browsing the new site, updated my avatar, never had on. When I went down to save changes, it tossed me this error. Look in the file I am uploading I hope that works as I think. Ignore the profile specific age of this user. :)

Btw. had to convert this file from tiff to png for it to upload, sorry about the large azz image size.

Don

9. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @old81 Ok - I’ll have to look into this. Its probably set to tight.

10. ChItalian1027

ChItalian1027 Member

Sep 17, 2012
    IT
    Westfield, IN
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    @Sully I sent you a PM about notice saying that it contains spam words also. Slowly I'm getting used to the layout. I like that we can @ users on the forum now too! When we @ a user do we get a notification that a user has @'d us?

11. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I’d also gotten the spam word alert. I was trying to create “current status” and by expiriemendation found that every word I could think of kicked off the message.

Still poking around for now, but so far so good.

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @ChItalian1027 Yes the flag on the top right of the page will give you an alert.

13. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @Zapski - yea something is up with the spam stuff for profile post.. I will research this. Keep the feedback coming!

14. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @MCS02 - its working. Were you seeing a delay?

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @Sully I am to stupid to delet a post:D

16. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @MCS02 - no problem. Below your post on the left side, there should be an "edit" button... Deleting is different, I don't have that one turned on by default. Let me look into that.

17. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    In the Media section, I successfully created an album, but am unable to upload images from iOS at this time. I get an error saying that the image is too large and cannot be processed by the server, though the jpeg in question should be 4.5 MB in size (at least according to exify, an app that tells you that sort of thing.)

I tried 3 or 4 different jpegs, and made sure that they were locally saved on my iPad rather than just being in iCloud. The progress bar went through to complete, but then the error popped up for each file. It didn’t matter If I tried one at a time or multiple files.

Just FYI :)

PS - the same error also happens if I try to upload a new avatar

Thanks!

18. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    #18 Sully, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    @Zapski - I will have to look into this. Curious, can you upload those same images to a thread (i.e. like this one)? If so, then that will help me determine if its a overall setting issue or a Media and Avatar issue. One more thing - what version of iOS and iPhone do you have? If you have the newest version, are you using the "Optimized" (HEIC) setting for your pictures and/or are the pictures "Live" pictures (another option when taking pictures). If it's either of those, I know there is an issue with those that I'm working to figure out. Essentially very few sites support this new version compared to a jpeg. Apple figured that out and its supposed to convert to jpeg when uploading (and it appears it does by the error message).... but for some reason the are not uploading.

If the above is the case, the short term work around is a change on your phone. You would need to go to Settings / Camera / Formats and choose "Most Compatible"

19. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @Zapski - can you try that again.

20. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Just tried the profile update, same issue. My profile apparently contains spam words?

Also I’m having the same issue with images even posting into a comment. “The uploaded file is too large for the server to process.”

I’m using an iPad Pro (12” version 1), iOS 11.2.2 (Updated last night), and have never used the HEIC option (turned it off day one). I did confirm with Exify that the image in question is a 4.5 MB JPEG

¯\_(ツ)_/¯