Premium gas delivers better performance (?)

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Rixter, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #1 Rixter, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
    Came across this the other night when it was raining (yes it rains occasionally in Vancouver)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4boT3iwgZKI[/ame]

Stands to reason that if you have car such as the MINI it should benefit from better performance as well. I always use the 94 octane (E-free) Chevron stuff but I have no way of measuring if I'm getting any power boost from it. Perhaps if any of you have access to a dyno you could post some results for the rest of us :popcorn:

PS why can't I embed the Youtube image to start the video?

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Can't get Chevron where I am. They need to come out with a bottle of "E-Eliminator" or :E-Free". Pour it in the tank and it gets rid of the Ethanol. :Thumbsup:

Jim

3. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
  4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    It's pretty simple, if your car was designed to run on high test as ours are then yes run it. :yesnod:

If it doesn't require high test save your money no gains for the extra cost. :nonod:

5. OldBlue

OldBlue New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Die Shop Coordinator
    Cleveburb, OH
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Good article. Being that I drive a Justa, I doubt there is any horsepower difference. I have done my own "testing" though and I have found that I get 1 to 2 more mpg using the MINI-recommended octane.

6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Higher octane will help more in the summer months, when the intake temps are higher and the air is less dense. Less oxygen will cause the car to retard timing, especially on normally-aspirated engines. Increasing the octane will allow the car to advance the timing again.

(I think I said that right - advance=good/retard=bad - it's one or the other, but the point remains)

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Spoken like a true politician. :lol::lol:

Jim

BTW: I thought you were an engineer??????

8. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    It always confused me that America and Britain use different octane numbers, at least as displayed on pumps - and you had already guessed that that was a Brit TV programme, hadn't you? They don't speak like that even in Rhode Island.

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia gives some equivalents. It seems 95 RON (standard UK fuel) is 91 AKI and 98 RON is 94 AKI. I believe you have to multiply both figures by your grandmother's age to get the answer.

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    The guy's dark "caterpillar" eyebrows were freaking me out....:D

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    You looking at that guy so close is creeping me out..... :shocked:

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hahahahahah....:D

12. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I have done the different grades in my Cooper and can attest that you will get better mileage with the higher octane than you would with the lower stuff. I did notice a dramatic performance difference with using the different grades, but have no hard data to back up any claims...all I have is that FEELING when you know the gas is crap...and thats good enough for me. I will only use the good stuff.

A

13. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I agree, my justa ran like crap on regular, MPG went down, and anyone that states otherwise does not motor in a spirited fashion.

Mark

14. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I also put 94 Chevron in my Justa, just feels better, and it's the only ethanol free gas I can find in Victoria. I haven't done any strict MPG comparison, but the "butt dyno" says it runs better on the "good stuff," and the price difference isn't enough to risk feeding my Cooper corn, when it's designed to run on dinosaur bones.

15. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    On the same octane level, the name brands do produce more HP. On NA cars, the difference is less noticeable. But on forced induction vehicles (SC or Turbo charged), the power difference is more noticeable.

Here in Cali (and the West Coast for that matter), we found Shell V-power to be one of the best ones tested (note: I don't own any Shell stocks shares and am not affiliated with Shell in any shape or form)... And this is the gas of choice for my MINI. My 2nd choice is Unical 76...

Some prefer Chevron or other Tier 1 brand, but my MINI never did like it so i stopped using it. Every engine is different so use what works for your car.

cheers.

16. tater tot

tater tot New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Next thing you know your goona say he's wearing high heels. Your all starting to scare me. Up here in the mountains of Colorado I always use the highest I can find. Usually only 93 but I agree I get better mileage with Prem. than Reg. up here.

17. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Have you ever seen an engineer try to do math in his head? No, he pulls out a calculator. Sometimes I forget which way it goes and feel like a retard...

18. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I get better performance on Shell 93, I also seem to get more "burble and pop" with it, could just be my imagination...or not.

19. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    The spousal unit is a mechanical engineer and he wanted to know why I was laughing so hard at 7:30am on a Sunday morning...so I read back to him your original comment and your followup explanation.

He started to laugh too..."Once you get out of single digits, you bring out the calculators."

Then he fell back asleep.

He's SUPPOSED to get up and make me breakfast! I picked 16# of blueberries yesterday (with the help of my daughter & her friend) and I want some blueberry pancakes!

20. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Ya said it right (latter part of your entry)..... Just look at Congress and the White House!