Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Pricing for brake work

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Lamcc83, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Lamcc83

Lamcc83 New Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

My 2008 Cooper S is out of warranty, and the red driver console break light is on. I did some research on a few reliable MINI Service places in Austin, and I get a call back today that front and rear brake work will cost me ~$900. This is the first time I'm getting my brakes serviced, and the car has 48k on it. Does this price sound right, or am I getting fleeced? Pardon my ignorance, but I don't have the ability to repair the car myself (I don't know anyone with a garage space I can use), and this is the first time I'm taking it in for the brake indicator lights.

2. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Did they tell you what they were going to replace?

3. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Assuming a complete brake replacement: two pad wear sensors $52, front rotors $120, rear rotors $80, front brake pads $51, rear brake pads $36, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/ATE-TYPE-Brake-Fluid-Liter/dp/B000JL7602"]Amazon.com: ATE TYPE 200 Brake Fluid (1 Liter): Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412LrPpk3IL.@@AMEPARAM@@412LrPpk3IL[/ame] brake fluid $20+, so roughly $400 for non-OEM parts. No comment on the going rate for labor in Austin.

4. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Like already said, local labor rates will be a variable. But if you go to penskeparts.com and input your vin number you can get pricing for replacement OEM parts.

Aftermarket prices are better. Quality is as good or better. This will give you a base cost minus labor.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well, if it were me.....
    And I lived in Austin Texas, I'd take a nice drive over to Pipe Creek Texas (2 hour drive) and I'd hit K-huevo up on a brake job...... You wouldn't be in better hands.... He even presented you with some of the pricing and I'll bet his labor rate beats the going Austin rate..... Such an easy choice IMHO.....:Thumbsup:

Keith is one of our nice sponsors as well.....:D

It would also give you a chance to meet him, because you can bet some additional service will be needed on your MINI. Gotta make good MINI connections....

6. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Never having met him, I can tell ya he always has great advice. And I'm pretty sure he'd do a better job than your average tech at a dealership.

7. Lamcc83

Lamcc83 New Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pads and rotors. I asked them to turn the brake pads around and just resurface the rotors, but they were hemming and hawing that I might as well not even try to fix the brakes if I ask them to do that. My experience is that labor is $100-$120 per hour in Austin.

Thanks for all the tips, guys! I'll look up pricing, and look into going to Pipe Creek. :)

8. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Without measuring pad & rotor thickness, but knowing the brake wear sensor nub has worn though, and typical OEM MINI pad & rotor wear characteristics, there's a good chance I would say the same thing over the phone, touching it would tell me if I should measure at all. You were probably given valid advice.

9. justintime

justintime New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    hunting manbearpig
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    +1 you really cant trust anyone working on a mini in texas more than Keith :Thumbsup: