Problems with Aftermarket Oil filters -- Pics -- MUST SEE

Discussion in 'MINI' started by cal330ci, Sep 12, 2010.

1. cal330ci

cal330ci New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Automotive Technician
    Vancouver BC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,
    I have done a couple threads for the local forum in my area but now that I am on here its probably a good chance to show some important articles with good information.
    This one about aftermarket oil filters and a few problems I have had with them. The most concerning is the example in the pic and how new filters were collapsing even under normal oil pressure. I have seen quite a few like the one in the pic. If you do not change your oil then you probably never what your old filter looks like. With the filter collapsing it can restrict oil flow and when it collapses its now shorter and oil can flow around the filter. The oil now is flowing unfiltered.
    Also the O rings you get with the filter usually leak, some of them very severely. This obviously causes low oil pressure, low oil levels and other problems related to excess oil on rubber components etc...
    For the record I have never had a problem with OEM filters.

Attached Files:

2. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Yep. OEM filters only for me!
    This happened on my very first oil change a few years back, don't remember which brand filter I used, but same results.

I think I read NAPA Gold filters don't collapse, or any filters with internal plastic "cage".(?)

Thanks for the refresher :Thumbsup:.

Lots of discussions about this on the "other" site.

3. cal330ci

cal330ci New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Automotive Technician
    Vancouver BC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No problem... back in 2002- 2005 we saw quite a few problems with these, especially with R50 and when non dealer shops would pull out the filter and retainer and springs. With the spring missed and/or an aftermarket filter installed the engines didnt make it past 20000km in some cases.

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yep, about 3 years ago, the first change I did on my '03 the filter came out looking like that - I switched to OEM filters and never had another problem.

5. leicaguy

leicaguy New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Medical Tech
    Catawba (near Roanoke), VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OEM filters just aren't that expensive. Why take a chance to save 2 bucks!? I don't get it.

6. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    while i'm not 100% sure I believe Mann makes the OEM filters for BMW. I used their 'third party' version for my R56 and no issues

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Mann is one of two companies that make the oem MINI filter. Sorry, don't remember the other maker. I've used oem filters & recently used a Mann filter. They are identical twins.

8. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Exactly.

9. cal330ci

cal330ci New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Automotive Technician
    Vancouver BC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah OEM filters are not that expensive, I dont know why some people really need to save a couple bucks.
    This does not include the MANN filters... Its more like Midas and Motomaster that I have seen pretty much all of them collapse

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Yep, Mann and Mahle are the oem filter makers.